Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

'70 Beetle runs rough on acceleration after hot startup.
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
pottsrj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 10:51 am    Post subject: '70 Beetle runs rough on acceleration after hot startup. Reply with quote

Apologize for the post as I'm sure the answer is in here somewhere but I searched to no avail.

I rebuilt my engine and I'm working out the bugs. It starts great cold and runs good thereafter. My problem happens after I restart it when it's been sitting with the engine hot, like after running into a store after having just driven it there. When starting hot it fires right up, but when I accelerate it runs very rough and doesn't respond (won't accelerate). If I let off the gas it goes back to idle fine and if I just persist at accelerating it comes around to running good again in about a minute or so.

Of course I'll check valves, timing, etc (for the 3rd time), but I don't think it has to do with any of those things. It has to be tied to the car sitting hot for a while. For that reason me thinks it is likely fuel related.

Could it be that it's somehow flooding while sitting hot? If so, why does it start so well? I'm in the process of making sure the choke isn't closing when it shouldn't and initially that doesn't seem to be the case.

I'd really appreciate suggestions on trouble shooting this.

'70 1600 sp, fresh top end rebuild. Rebuilt Solex 30 pict 3. Bosch 009 w/ new points, etc. Headers w/ stinger pipe. New Coil, fuel pump, in line fuel filter, plugs/wires.

Thanks everyone!
Agent47
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 10:58 am    Post subject: Re: '70 Beetle runs rough on acceleration after hot startup. Reply with quote

Sounds similar to vapor lock issues. Essentially the fuel in the fuel lines is getting hot and vaporizing and not pumping into the carb.

Typically the solution is to ensure that the fuel lines are up off of the cylinder tins away from the excess heat.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Chochobeef
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 1:19 pm    Post subject: Re: '70 Beetle runs rough on acceleration after hot startup. Reply with quote

Check that your metal fuel line going to your pump is routed correctly, or in my case I routed it further around (check my gallery) and wrapped it in rubber hose to protect it from heat soak.

I don't have any issues with my 34 pict 3 and 009 w/points. Show us some pictures of your engine if you can.
zoobyshoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 3:14 pm    Post subject: Re: '70 Beetle runs rough on acceleration after hot startup. Reply with quote

How soon after the rebuild did this start?
pottsrj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 5:42 pm    Post subject: Re: '70 Beetle runs rough on acceleration after hot startup. Reply with quote

Agent47 wrote:
Sounds similar to vapor lock issues. Essentially the fuel in the fuel lines is getting hot and vaporizing and not pumping into the carb.

Typically the solution is to ensure that the fuel lines are up off of the cylinder tins away from the excess heat.

Thanks. I thought about vapor lock but determined my fuel lines were far enough away from problematic heat sources. Two people have suggeted this as a cause so I think I'll readdress it, do some experimenting to see if it's the problem.

Thanks again for replying.
pottsrj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 5:43 pm    Post subject: Re: '70 Beetle runs rough on acceleration after hot startup. Reply with quote

Chochobeef wrote:
Check that your metal fuel line going to your pump is routed correctly, or in my case I routed it further around (check my gallery) and wrapped it in rubber hose to protect it from heat soak.

I don't have any issues with my 34 pict 3 and 009 w/points. Show us some pictures of your engine if you can.

Thanks. I thought about vapor lock but determined my fuel lines were far enough away from problematic heat sources. Two people have suggeted this as a cause so I think I'll readdress it, do some experimenting to see if it's the problem.

Thanks again for replying.
pottsrj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 5:48 pm    Post subject: Re: '70 Beetle runs rough on acceleration after hot startup. Reply with quote

zoobyshoe wrote:

The car had been sitting since 1979. The engine was siezed when I bought the car in 2016. I have no history with the car prior to my rebuild in 2016. The problem has been present from day 1 post rebuild.

Thanks for replying to my post!
zoobyshoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 6:10 pm    Post subject: Re: '70 Beetle runs rough on acceleration after hot startup. Reply with quote

pottsrj wrote:
zoobyshoe wrote:

The car had been sitting since 1979. The engine was siezed when I bought the car in 2016. I have no history with the car prior to my rebuild in 2016. The problem has been present from day 1 post rebuild.

Hmmmm. Maybe this:

Link
pottsrj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 8:43 am    Post subject: Re: '70 Beetle runs rough on acceleration after hot startup. Reply with quote

Thanks everyone for the suggestions, especially that one about the fuel pump rod binding when hot, holy cow...whoda thunk it!

I think I found the issue. I began by insulating the fuel line with 1/2 inch thick pipe insulation. I then ran the engine until hot with the aircleaner removed. I shut it down hot then restarted 5 to 10 minutes later. After restarting the issue once again presented itself and I couldn't rev over about 1200 rpm. I then looked at the choke and realized it wasn't fully open so I held it completely open and that enabled the engine to rev just fine.

So here's my theory. I'm building the car into a baja so the engine is exposed to the atmosphere. After shutting the engine down the choke module is probably cooling faster than the engine. I suspect this because the choke module is out there on it's own in the fresh air far away from the heat of the engine. Perhaps the engine cover (rear hood) minimizes the issue on a stock beetle by holding in heat and thus keeping the choke module hotter (closer to engine temp)?

What do you think of my theory? I had the choke working fine, the car runs good after cold start up. Not sure what to do now. Backing the choke off should help but the issue of the choke module cooling quicker than the engine will still exist so choking the hot engine could still happen. Also if I back it off too much it won't choke the cold engine properly creating a new problem.

Maybe I should take this over to the "offroad" forum, see what they say?
zoobyshoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 9:37 am    Post subject: Re: '70 Beetle runs rough on acceleration after hot startup. Reply with quote

pottsrj wrote:
Also if I back it off too much it won't choke the cold engine properly creating a new problem.

Not sure about this. I have some problem with my choke where I can't rotate the heating element far enough to get it properly shut when cold. If all the way open is 90 degrees, then mine rests open when cold at 15 degrees. Despite that, the engine always starts great. That being the case, I've never replaced the heating element. You can, however. I'd try backing the choke off first. If that doesn't work, then you can check around online and order a new heating element. This guy I know runs around with no deck lid at all, and his choke works fine: doesn't seem to cool prematurely relative to the rest of the engine.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: