Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Distributor drive
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
tmandile
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 3:47 pm    Post subject: Distributor drive Reply with quote

I installed my distributor drive today. Unfortunately it's not straight up. It lines up about 1 o'clock, how much of a hassle will this be for me. Why don't I just take it back out? I don't have the tool. I can purchase if need be. My point, is it that important to have the gear exactly straight or can it be a little off?
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 4:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Distributor drive Reply with quote

You might be able to remove the drive with a piece of wood. Whittle it to the shape and tap it into the drive. I've done it a few times before I got the tool.
Featured in Dec. 2001 HOT VW's Magazine page 63

Watch my racing video's http://www.youtube.com/user/okvwracer/videos
Relyt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 4:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Distributor drive Reply with quote

As long as the distributor vac can or condenser isn't hitting anything, you're good to go.

When I had to pull mine back out, I removed the spring and used an unsharpened pencil. Just jam it in and try to work the gear out.
205T (Bill)
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 5:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Distributor drive Reply with quote

Last time I needed to lift up a drive gear, I tapped in there a "hobby stick" (basically, a popsicle stick) which, to my surprise, worked.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

IMAGE NOTE: It has been noted that Chrome based browsers may have issues in displaying my vast image library, which use non-secure links and are on an FTP server. Images should still be viewable if the link is clicked though.
I do not know how to fix this. All I can say is it all works fine for me with what I use, Firefox.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tmandile
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 7:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Distributor drive Reply with quote

Genius idea but I already ordered one. I am guessing the concensus is to take it out and not try and tune with the way it is. When pulling the drive gear, do the shims ever come with?
Multi69s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 7:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Distributor drive Reply with quote

You usually don't pull the drive all of the way out. Just enough to turn it.
Gone but not forgotten 72 Baja Bug 2010
My builds
T4 into Squareback http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=458944&highlight=
Auto Trans Rebuild http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=516066&highlight=
AC in Squareback https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
Relyt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 9:07 am    Post subject: Re: Distributor drive Reply with quote

tmandile wrote:
Genius idea but I already ordered one. I am guessing the concensus is to take it out and not try and tune with the way it is. When pulling the drive gear, do the shims ever come with?

If you are able to tune it, leave it as is. When I pulled mine and put it back it was off again, but in a way the vac can and condenser was not hitting the fuel pump, so I just left it. I would rather not risk loosing the shims if I didn't have to.
205T (Bill)
VW_Buggsy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 1:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Distributor drive Reply with quote

Quote:
I would rather not risk loosing the shims if I didn't have to.

Absolutely, even with the right puller tool those things are a PITA and I'm always afraid of losing one down in the bowels of the motor. You should be able to carefully pull it up just enough to rotate it without pulling it all way way out such that the shims can fall.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
David_nc_72std
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 7:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Distributor drive Reply with quote

tmandile wrote:
I installed my distributor drive today. Unfortunately it's not straight up. .....

With all this worry over dropping the shims, do you have the engine installed in the car or out working on it? A lot less worry about shims if its half assembled and still on an engine stand.
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 8:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Distributor drive Reply with quote

Does anyone know of anyone who actually lost a distributor drive shim in the bowels of their engine?

I know it's possible to do, but anyone actually done it while withdrawing or installing the distributor drive--correctly?

Tim

Richard O'Brien
tmandile
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 4:15 am    Post subject: Re: Distributor drive Reply with quote

I know when I originally pulled the drive, thetc shims came out with it. The motor is still on a stand but the last thing I want to do is tear it down again. This has been a very slow going process but I already crushed a bearing and had to tear down completely a few weeks back. We had a baby and few months back and I don't have a lot of time. The time I do have it seems I'm rushing and trying to get too much done. I'm just hoping to get this back in the car this summer. I'm building a 1914.

I've read a post from a guy who said he lost his shims in the case but somehow was able to get them out using a magnet.
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 4:45 am    Post subject: Re: Distributor drive Reply with quote

One or two teeth off in either direction isn't going to effect operation. Move on to something that matters.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 4:49 am    Post subject: Re: Distributor drive Reply with quote

Look real close here's one that's off. The car runs great.
VW_Buggsy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 5:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Distributor drive Reply with quote

Quote:
Does anyone know of anyone who actually lost a distributor drive shim in the bowels of their engine?

I haven't and don't know anyone that has, but it just always feels like a likely risk to me when dorking around with the drive gear.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 5:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Distributor drive Reply with quote

VW_Buggsy wrote:
Quote:

I haven't and don't know anyone that has, but it just always feels like a likely risk to me when dorking around with the drive gear.

All the more reason to just leave it the hell alone if its a tooth off. Why obsess over this trivial crap? Is this gonna be points of at pebble beach concurs D' Elegance?
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 8:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Distributor drive Reply with quote

Shoot, I'm 180 degrees off, and my engine purrs like a Snapper.

Seriously, if off a bit, your rotor will not be pointing exactly at the notch on the distributor rim. So what? With mine, I had to change the positions of all my plug wires. 180 off is like that. But a few degrees off and you'll make up for it during the timing process.

Nice engine, Zund.

Tim

Richard O'Brien
VW_Buggsy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 7:10 am    Post subject: Re: Distributor drive Reply with quote

Quote:
All the more reason to just leave it the hell alone if its a tooth off. Why obsess over this trivial crap? Is this gonna be points of at pebble beach concurs D' Elegance?

No, most of the cars I've ever owned or worked on aren't going to win any shows and that's not really something I'm interested in. I enter them in shows sometimes but that's mostly because for a little extra cash you can support the show organizers and get primo parking on the show field instead of the lot Smile

I don't know why I personally obsess over over something trivial like that... call it a personality disorder if you want. Anyway, you can't see it from your house and you don't pay for my mental therapy so why do you care what I obsess over Laughing

I think I like having it right because then I know it's always the same as the other cars and motors so I don't have to remember if one is a little off or different than the others. The up-front work simplifies things later, in my mind. Consistency tends to do that. Like doing a valve adjustment I know TDC on the crank pulley and the rotor pointing to the notch happens at the same time on #1 cylinder. Yeah, I know it would be close enough to tell even if I was a few teeth off but I just like stuff to all line up right.

Buggsy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 7:52 am    Post subject: Re: Distributor drive Reply with quote

same as the others? What about the ones that are off just a little ? Aw geez they are not all the same. Very Happy
VW_Buggsy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 1:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Distributor drive Reply with quote

I meant the same as MY others anyway. Not the same as yours. I mean there are a lot of beetles and T1 engines out there so I know all those aren't the same in any number of ways.

Our dune-buggy and the sedan and various other cars and projects past have always had the drive gear in properly and if not I will go through the minor effort to correct it. Even though I do tend to get a little butt puckered nervous over dropping the shims while I'm doing it. I don't really care what other people do to their distributor gears or any other of their various parts (automotive or otherwise).

Buggsy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 3:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Distributor drive Reply with quote

Go get em tiger.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: