Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Need carburetor identification help
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
buggingInFL
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 7:48 am    Post subject: Need carburetor identification help Reply with quote

So the carburetor on my engine is a mystery to me. There appears to be no markings on it except for one number on top that doesn't seem to be easily identifiable. I'm hoping someone here can help me definitively identify what it is so i can decide if I need to replace it or not. Here's some pics:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

60ragtop
Bonneville Belt Bitch

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 7:51 am    Post subject: Re: Need carburetor identification help Reply with quote

looks like a Chinese replacement carb.
Dual port engine? And what's the problem you think it needs replacing?
Certified Hunter Wheel Alignment Master Technician 1986

tasb wrote:
I've restored a large number too, but I don't toot my horn quite as loud.

sb001 wrote:
maybe he just snapped cause his car sucked Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
buggingInFL
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 7:56 am    Post subject: Re: Need carburetor identification help Reply with quote

It's a 1968 single port 1500 autostick. There isn't a specific problem I'm trying to address other than trying to get the timing right, but it's tough to find good advice when I don't even know what my carb is.
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 8:11 am    Post subject: Re: Need carburetor identification help Reply with quote

My guess is its an H30/31 copy if its a small flange carb. Your timing is more of a function of the distributor, BUT if you have a vacuum canister on it, then the carb does matter. Particularly with an auto-stick
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
buggingInFL
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 8:30 am    Post subject: Re: Need carburetor identification help Reply with quote

Right now it has an 009 on it, that I want to replace with an SVDA, but I know I need to match up the distributor with the carb. I'd rather not spring for a new carb as well if this one is good enough, but I don't know what distributor to buy to match up with it.
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 8:37 am    Post subject: Re: Need carburetor identification help Reply with quote

2 things and you have to bear with me because I have no experience with an autostick, so anything I say about that is "things I read on the interent".

#1 IF you have an H30/31 copy, there is not enough vacuum signal to make an 034 SVDA work, so that will be a waste of money.

#2 look at the old volks home website on distributor applications. I am almost 100% sure there are autostick specific distributors AND carbs. This is the part where I am just parroting what I have read.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
buggingInFL
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 8:46 am    Post subject: Re: Need carburetor identification help Reply with quote

Yeah, it's the point #1 you mention that I want to clear up before I go any further. If the carb is a non-starter with a SVDA, then I'll just replace both. If not, and I can save some money for now, then all the better.

So, I guess the sticking point is figuring out for sure whether that carb will work with an SVDA when you come right down to it.
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 8:49 am    Post subject: Re: Need carburetor identification help Reply with quote

The correct distributor for the 68 auto stick is as follows;
Bosch no. VW no.
0231 115 056 113 905 205P
0231 115 078 113 905 205AA
use the search function and locate one here.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
buggingInFL
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 8:52 am    Post subject: Re: Need carburetor identification help Reply with quote

Yeah, but will my carb work with that distributor or do I have to get a new carburetor too?
topconker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 9:29 am    Post subject: Re: Need carburetor identification help Reply with quote

Sorry to hijack the thread.
Looking at the photos there are 2, (at least), blanked tubes showing, which presumably are vacuum pipes?
Would it be possible to take a vacuum off of one of these to run a remote servo for the rear brakes?
TC
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 9:39 am    Post subject: Re: Need carburetor identification help Reply with quote

You need a vacuum gauge to test how much vacuum that carb pulls while running.

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 6:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Need carburetor identification help Reply with quote

IF the carb is a copy of an H30/31 you will not have enough vacuum to make it work. Have no clue what the hell you have except what it looks like. How the vacuum circuit is designed is a total guess unless you measure it as mentioned and even at that - how it comes in will make a difference in how the distributor will advance.

There are other combos for small flange carbs that work well. I just dont know what they are since I run the 34/ SVDA on any stock 1600s....
cletus_zuber
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 8:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Need carburetor identification help Reply with quote

Don't buy new parts until you time the engine with a timing light, 30° BTDC with RPM's up around 3500 or where the advance is all in.

report back
buggingInFL
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 6:10 am    Post subject: Re: Need carburetor identification help Reply with quote

I set the timing statically to 7.5 BTDC and adjusted the idle speed by turning the "big" screw on the side of the carburetor until it would idle ok for a few minutes, then it just stalls. It also seems to start running rougher if I rev it up to higher RPMs.

I've got to pick up a few things like a portable tach, fuel pressure tester (new fuel pump), vaccuum gauge, and get my hands on a timing light before i can go much further I think. Unfortunately, I have to travel to Kiev for business for the next two weeks so I'll probably have to put it on hold until I get back.

Also, I don't think I mentioned it on this thread, but this is a newly rebuilt engine that i did myself (first time) so pretty much anything could be wrong. Smile

I'll just start eliminating possible problems one at a time (do a valve adjustment, need to change the oil, etc.).

I didn't really intend this as a thread to diagnose problems as much as to figure out if I should replace the carb when I replace the distributor (want to switch to an SVDA), but it has kind of turned that way.

Thanks for the help though and I'll report back when I get some new information.
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 9:52 am    Post subject: Re: Need carburetor identification help Reply with quote

buggingInFL wrote:
Yeah, but will my carb work with that distributor or do I have to get a new carburetor too?

You need to determine if your carb's vacuum advance port is connected to venturi vacuum, ported vacuum or both. This thread from glutamodo goes into detail the differences between the different carbs.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=185095
The later SVDA and DVDA distributors must be mated with a carb that uses ported vacuum for vacuum advance. Ported vacuum will see more than 12in-Hg of vacuum which is what the SVDA/DVDA distributors need to reach full vacuum advance. The earlier SVA distributors like yours only needed only around 4in-Hg to reach full advance. You see why it is important to match the carb + distributor especially when it comes to a distributor that needs a vacuum signal.

This pic from glutamodo's thread shows the upper vacuum advance port inside the carb throat of an H30/31. If you have this brass tube, try spraying carb cleaner into it and see if fluid seeps out from the vacuum advance port. If it does, your carb uses venturi vacuum for vacuum advance and is not fit for matching up with an SVDA distributor.

This upper area is in the venturi (narrow) portion of the carb throat. Vacuum here (technically low pressure) increases as the speed of the air flowing thru the carb increases. This means vacuum increases due to engine rpms. The larger volume of airflow needed at higher rpms means the air must flow FASTER thru the venturi. Fast moving fluids create less pressure. This is the Bernoulli effect. This signal is not affected by load on the engine where ported vacuum changes due to engine load (except at idle).

topconker wrote:
Looking at the photos there are 2, (at least), blanked tubes showing, which presumably are vacuum pipes?
Would it be possible to take a vacuum off of one of these to run a remote servo for the rear brakes?

You will need to test the rear (rear is rear of car) facing vacuum ports on the carb. In the above pics these are capped off since they are not used. Sometimes these ports are connected to intake vacuum. Typically, it is this strong vacuum you want when you are working with vacuum boosters. Also look at the intake manifold. In some years there were ports on the side of the intake "neck". Other times the ports were on the end castings. These are direct intake vacuum port. Be careful that your vacuum booster does not require too much vacuum and will affect your engine idle quality. The last thing you want is the engine to die because your brake draw too much vacuum!
'67 Beetle #1 {project car that never made it to the road Sad }
'75 Beetle 1200LS (RHD Japan model) {junked due to frame rot}
'67 Beetle #2 {2019 project car - Wish me luck!}
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 11:40 am    Post subject: Re: Need carburetor identification help Reply with quote

Not sure if this was discussed or not. You have a idle fuel cutoff - that can on the drivers side. Apply power and remove it - you should hear it click each time. If not, then its bad and you will have very eratic idle, if it will idle at all.
buggingInFL
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 7:10 am    Post subject: Re: Need carburetor identification help Reply with quote

That's great info, thanks. I'll check that stuff out when I get back if Putin doesn't blow up Kiev while I'm there. Smile
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: