Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

oil pressure switch, oil explosion.
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
broomhandle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 11:18 am    Post subject: oil pressure switch, oil explosion. Reply with quote

my 69 is my daily driver, I recently moved and the bug goes up 4 tall hills a day.

about a month ago, i was going up a hill, and oil... and smoke from all the oil... the oil pressure switch came loose. i tighten it up hand tight. it kept coming loose, oil everywhere...

I ordered a new one (not Chinese)... I installed it, hand tight.. it lasted 3 days.. no oil.

going to work... oil out the switch.. bad..... I tighter it up. came loose going home. i stopped 1/2 way.. tighten... when got home. same thing...

notes.***

the block is not cracked.. i looked. i used blue thread lock the 2nd install...

hot block vs cold block tighten?

the hills building up crank pressure?

I need mind help.... I just don't get it....

anybody in the bay? Peninsula? I rely on it for work...
ROCKOROD71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 11:49 am    Post subject: Re: oil pressure switch, oil explosion. Reply with quote

The switches are tapered, so at some point someone might have bottomed it out and opened up the boss, you can keep tightening it but eventually it will bottom out and then what? Folks say not to use Teflon tape (plumber's tape) because it will effect the ground, but if you cut a strip thin enough to just get it on half the threads, then you won't have a grounding issue. Might wanna give it a shot, might help. The locktite I don't know would do anygood if the actual boss is now too big.

Spec I believe is hand tight plus a quarter turn.

Yes you are building pressure going up hills, the engine is working harder to maintain speed.

Sometimes cracks in this area cannot be seen with the naked eye, or are at least very hard to see, at least when they begin...

30 years from now, the next guy may not want your girlfriend, but he may want your classic car, depending on how nice you were to it.

asiab3 wrote:

Careful guys, a petulant child can grow up to be president these days.

**winter drivers: no survivors!**rust warrior**#keepbodyshopsbusy**
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 1:58 pm    Post subject: Re: oil pressure switch, oil explosion. Reply with quote

tighten it.lock tight may also be used.
goober
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 8:59 pm    Post subject: Re: oil pressure switch, oil explosion. Reply with quote

I'm a little confused. Are you tightening the switch only finger tight?

I may be wrong, but over the years I think I remember seeing taper thread after-market switches and straight/non-taper switches. I use a taper thread switch (1/8" pipe thread I believe) and tighten very gently with a wrench. I've sparingly used Teflon tape or pipe thread sealant in the past. Both seemed to work fine.

When using Teflon tape, if I did have a grounding problem (light off continuously) I was going to ground the switch outer with a separate wire.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: