Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Oil pump predicament, need some guidance
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
motoRAT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 9:15 am    Post subject: Oil pump predicament, need some guidance Reply with quote

Hello all, as the title says, I need some guidance from the oil pump gurus
I’ll start from the beginning: some 3 years ago I took my engine to be rebuilt, the guy didn't fit a new oil pump as he said it was fine (that had a lot of good pressure), I had no oil pressure gauge on the buggy. Moving on, I've always liked that oil pump with filter from EMPI, I've bought one, before knowing they wore no good, I installed it for just a 70 km run, it developed a leek and I swapped it for the stock one again, and have been running that since.
A few weeks ago I decided to mount an oil pressure gauge, and got worried, freak out actually.
The pressure (with the stock pump) is 30 psi cold, no more than 20 psi revving when hot but 0 psi hot idling. You can imagine the heart stopping moment when I looked to the dial when stop at the red light.
So today I decided to try the EMPI to take a look at the pressure readings (if it stayed at 40 / 80 psi) all good and I leave it alone with it, it started superbly with a 40 psi cold, but oh my goddess of oil pressure, 100 plus psi revving... no can do, It will blow something no doubt!
So now my cry for help, the stock gears are 21mm, the EMPI is 30mm, I would love to get a oil filter, but I really don’t like the remote (flexible hoses) type, but will if I must, what size gears should I go for.
What pump do you recommend for a stock like engine, 1600cc single port, 30 pict 2 solex on it
Thanks in advance
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 9:43 am    Post subject: Re: Oil pump predicament, need some guidance Reply with quote

What does the old stock oil pump look like inside? A little work on the old pump could bring the pressure up a bit.

But if you want a filter, the CB Performance filter pumps are good.

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
motoRAT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 10:49 am    Post subject: Re: Oil pump predicament, need some guidance Reply with quote

Q-Dog wrote:
What does the old stock oil pump look like inside? A little work on the old pump could bring the pressure up a bit.

it looks like new inside, no obvious signs of wear, what can be done inside to rise pressure?
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 11:17 am    Post subject: Re: Oil pump predicament, need some guidance Reply with quote

Check clearances between the gears, pump housing and the cover. I don't have the specs handy, but tightening up clearances inside the pump can get the pressure up.

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
motoRAT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 11:22 am    Post subject: Re: Oil pump predicament, need some guidance Reply with quote

Q-Dog wrote:
Check clearances between the gears, pump housing and the cover. I don't have the specs handy, but tightening up clearances inside the pump can get the pressure up.

ok, the only place I can reduce the clearance is between the cover and the gears, with a thinner gasket, the rest I don't see how
motoRAT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 11:52 am    Post subject: Re: Oil pump predicament, need some guidance Reply with quote

ok, i've got a gap of +0.10 mm from the gears to the housing, and +0.10 mm from the gears to the cover (no gasket)
Glasser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 1:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil pump predicament, need some guidance Reply with quote

I'm running a 30 mm oil pump and I don't see that high of oil pressures. Wondering about your oil pressure control valve. It should be opening and dumping excess back into the pan.

http://www.vw-resource.com/oiling_system.html
Project#2. Neighbors build up. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=327008
GS guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 1:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil pump predicament, need some guidance Reply with quote

The old trick used to be to lap (sand with fine grit sandpaper - 320 - on a flat piece of glass) the open side of the pump with gears installed to make the gears and pump flange flush, then use the gasket for clearance. Not sure it that is still the SOP for blueprinting a pump? Also may need to check the tightness of the pick-up tube to the case, plus tightness of pump body to case - both areas of potential leakage. I always smoothed the oil feed openings inside the pump body to remove the sharp machined edges and help the flow. Gene Berg may still offer o-ringed pump bodies to help with pump to case sealing.
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 2:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil pump predicament, need some guidance Reply with quote

What weight of oil are you using? It has a major effect on oil pressure.
Featured in Dec. 2001 HOT VW's Magazine page 63

Watch my racing video's http://www.youtube.com/user/okvwracer/videos
AMAC1680
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 7:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil pump predicament, need some guidance Reply with quote

A few weeks ago you installed the gauge.
Are you positive that gauge is accurate ?

AMAC
motoRAT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 2:35 am    Post subject: Re: Oil pump predicament, need some guidance Reply with quote

ok, thanks for all the replies
vwracerdave
i'm using a 20/50 mineral oil
AMAC1680
no, I'm not positive the gauge is accurate, but he is reading something, and the difference is huge, so as uncorrected the reading imight be, someting is not very good?,I do have some pressure with the stock pump as the idiot light do not flicker, but???
GS guy
I'll try to do a O-ring thing and eliminate the cover gasket altogether, and must try to smooth the oil passage of the pump
Glasser
what are your readings?
Again, thanks guys
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 9:52 am    Post subject: Re: Oil pump predicament, need some guidance Reply with quote

Did you measure the gears in the pump. The Empi filter pump I bought had 32mm gears and made a ton of pressure. I gave it away. They also touch the case on the filter extension and can cause the pump cover to not sit flat and leak.

Try switching to 10W30 after checking your relief plugs and springs and make sure they aren't seized.

brad

Last edited by slalombuggy on Wed Aug 24, 2016 11:59 am; edited 1 time in total
motoRAT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 11:15 am    Post subject: Re: Oil pump predicament, need some guidance Reply with quote

hey brad
the gears on my pump are 32mm
must check the relief plugs then
motoRAT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 11:37 am    Post subject: Re: Oil pump predicament, need some guidance Reply with quote

ok, this is what I try
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

no oil pressure increase
I'm going to order a cb performance Maxi Pump 2, its a 26mm gear, I suppose a 5mm increase is ok, the 11mm increase from the 32mm gears empi pump is just too much pressure under acceleration
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: