Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Bumper Overrider Impact Strips
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
limon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2016 9:31 am    Post subject: Bumper Overrider Impact Strips Reply with quote

I need to replace one of the rubber strips on my rear bumper.

I'm told that these were never an option and that I can use the "Fat" rubber blocks @ $80 ea. which is more then I'd like to spend.

I checked bug bumper rubber but it's too small - maybe a bus?

Has anyone else seen these? Thanks in advance,
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ron Domeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2016 3:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Bumper Overrider Impact Strips Reply with quote

Can you post a close up. VWoA had 2 types. One was steel with a pad that bolted on, that looks like yours but could not see for sure and the other was the square rubber type.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
limon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2016 3:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Bumper Overrider Impact Strips Reply with quote

Ron, You are correct; mine is steel with a "pad" that has 4 screws to hold it to the metal part (sorry I don't have a better picture).

Let me know if you have a source.

Thanks,
Ron Domeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2016 4:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Bumper Overrider Impact Strips Reply with quote

Beetle pads should be the same. TTS had these.
limon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2016 6:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Bumper Overrider Impact Strips Reply with quote

Ron,

Beetle pads look exactly the same (So Cal Imports #707197), but they're about 1/2" narrower and the 4 screws in the rubber are spaced closer together.

Pomona Swap-meet's next weekend, maybe I'll get lucky and find one.
Ron Domeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 3:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Bumper Overrider Impact Strips Reply with quote

OK, but the aftermarket parts may not be the same. Are these listed for a 68 and later bug?
Ron Domeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 4:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Bumper Overrider Impact Strips Reply with quote

I see they say they are correct but they are aftermarket.
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 2:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Bumper Overrider Impact Strips Reply with quote

The Thing Shop used to sell them, but I am not sure if they still do. I recently flipped mine upside down since the tops were cracked. Both sides have VWoA embossed on the upper parts.

Please post if you have any luck finding replacements.
ach60 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 3:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Bumper Overrider Impact Strips Reply with quote

My best guess is for a thing use the Bus part number for the thing.

Part #: 211-154-L/R
RUBBER, BUMPER GUARDS FRONT OR REAR, BUS 1968-72
https://www.westcoastmetric.com/product/211-154-L%2FR/rubber_bumper_guards_front_or_rear_bus_196872

Part #: 113-153-L/R
BUMPER GUARDS WITH RUBBER, FRONT OR REAR, SET OF 2, STD BUG 68-73, GHIA 1971 (No indent for horizontal deco strip)
https://www.westcoastmetric.com/product/113-153-L%...deco_strip
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 5:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Bumper Overrider Impact Strips Reply with quote

The bumper guard rubber for Type 2's are a bit different with only three mounting screws compared to four with the Thing (see photo).

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1609040

Pretty darn close though!
Ron Domeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 6:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Bumper Overrider Impact Strips Reply with quote

I have always used the beetle pads. Not aftermarket. When you find VWoA pads they will fit. I bought a set of NOS beetle complete guards just so I could take the pads and use on the Thing guards.
limon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 10:36 am    Post subject: Re: Bumper Overrider Impact Strips Reply with quote

I didn't have any luck at the Pomona Swap Meet.

I think I'll "patch" my bad one with Sugru (my thing's no show car),and just keep my eyes open.
limon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 6:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Bumper Overrider Impact Strips Reply with quote

Well, I put the old bumper uprights back on, and if you look closely; the one on the right is a little closer to center then the driver's side. I guess they weren't stock afterall...
[email protected] Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 9:47 am    Post subject: Re: Bumper Overrider Impact Strips Reply with quote

This might have been done if there was a spare tire carrier on there
The carrier won't allow the overrider as far out as the other side
CALL 518 630 0173
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: