Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

AAA coverage problems members should now about
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cali_Army_Guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 8:33 am    Post subject: Re: AAA coverage problems members should now about Reply with quote

He didn't want to tow you. Simple as that. I drove tow truck for a AAA contract station. There's a bunch of loopholes to get out of a bullshit tow. AAA does NOT cover "modified" vehicles. So that was pretty much up to the drivers discretion. It varies for different companies, but for mine we didn't get paid extra unless we towed over 25 miles. So obviously I'd rather do a couple quick in town tows instead of a 24 mile tow. I'd make more money as it was 100% commission based. You have a lowered Honda going 23 miles? So sorry, it's modified, not covered, have a nice day. You have a big ass lifted truck with oversize tires that's going to be a hassle for me to load? Sorry that's a modified vehicle have a nice day.

AAA also does not cover tows that are off the roadway. I.E.: some douche kid gets stuck mudding 10' off the road. Sorry I'm not getting dirty so it's not covered. Have a nice day.

I refused calls over the phone at 3am from my bed after getting some info and finding out I could get out of it.

I'm not saying you did this, but a lot of what I said above will be determined by my customer. You want to run you mouth about waiting on a Friday night at 6pm when we're slammed? You're damn right I'm going to try and get out of it. Nowhere in my job description does it say I have to put of with verbally abusive people. Also there is no law that says I have to tow your ass. I will (and have) driven the hell off and left people for being assholes.

If I was a betting man is say the driver was either in a bad mood already or it was some crap tow he wasn't going to make money on and used your kayak as the out he needed to leave. Been there done that.

On the flip side I have towed "modified" stuff and done crazy shit to help people out. It all depends on the situation.

Here's a vid of me off loading a lowered Honda S2000. This is the exact reason why I refuse 99% of these types of tows. Even with the dovetail flatbed and race ramps it still drug the nose. I kept moving the bed up and down trying to change the angle to help it, but no dice. Dude was chill and didn't mind though. Even gave me a tip. Sorry for not having my phone the right way Embarassed

https://youtu.be/TMPDLwaZOoQ
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 3:15 pm    Post subject: Re: AAA coverage problems members should now about Reply with quote

WM971252 wrote:
TDCTDI wrote:
The weasel bastards are also quick to say "this tow is going to cost $, but it will be free if we take it to our AAA repair facility " & then they really stick it to the person. One of my customers that fell for this after a ball joint failed got quoted $2,700 to repair their car.

Wrong.... Membership cover you free to the service providers facility or to your mileage limits. For our club it is 5 miles for basic and 100 for plus/RV (and then premium). Extra mileage rates are set by the club. No games.

This is for a "car" bikes and RVs are medium duty rates.

No, I am not wrong, what these drivers were doing was. When AAA customers towing mileage exceeded their coverage, the drivers would offer to tow to a AAA service center for free in lieu of charging for the additional mileage. Either the drivers got a kick back or the or this was a perk for being in the AAA network. Either way, the local AAA service centers overcharged & made up repairs that werent necessary. This happened to many customers of mine & other local shops.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
WM971252
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 3:53 pm    Post subject: Re: AAA coverage problems members should now about Reply with quote

can't get it to quote right....

It is not the members fault that they are lets say 25 miles from the service providers garage so why do they have to pay extra to get a basic tow. So because of that ALL members are covered to the service providers facility or to the location of their choice within there mileage limits for free. Go further than your benefits you pay extra mileage at the clubs set rate. Yes being a provider allows you to "feed' your shop, it is one of the perks of being a provider. No kick back from AAA, actually you usually get paid less to bring it back to base.

Also all AAA approved facilities get an "extra" inspections and if a member complains there WILL be a visit by AAA.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Cali_Army_Guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 5:00 pm    Post subject: Re: AAA coverage problems members should now about Reply with quote

WM971252 wrote:
Go further than your benefits you pay extra mileage at the clubs set rate.

Bingo!

AAA has three options. 5 miles, 100 miles, and 200 miles. I think Southern California has 7 miles instead of 5. But anyways. If you're a cheap ass and only bought the 5 mile one and your 8 miles from a shop then yes you're paying out of pocket for those 3 miles. At the place I worked at it was $7 a mile. So that adds up fast. Even if you were going to a AAA shop you would still be required to cover those extra 3 miles. And when I was the driver I ran your card BEFORE I loaded your car. Too many people try to pull the "I don't have any money" excuse at the drop location. If that were true you'd have said to tow you home. Not to a $100hr labor rate repair shop.
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 9:45 am    Post subject: Re: AAA coverage problems members should now about Reply with quote

Cali_Army_Guy wrote:
He didn't want to tow you. Simple as that. I drove tow truck for a AAA contract station. There's a bunch of loopholes to get out of a bullshit tow. AAA does NOT cover "modified" vehicles. So that was pretty much up to the drivers discretion. It varies for different companies, but for mine we didn't get paid extra unless we towed over 25 miles. So obviously I'd rather do a couple quick in town tows instead of a 24 mile tow. I'd make more money as it was 100% commission based. You have a lowered Honda going 23 miles? So sorry, it's modified, not covered, have a nice day. You have a big ass lifted truck with oversize tires that's going to be a hassle for me to load? Sorry that's a modified vehicle have a nice day.

AAA also does not cover tows that are off the roadway. I.E.: some douche kid gets stuck mudding 10' off the road. Sorry I'm not getting dirty so it's not covered. Have a nice day.

I refused calls over the phone at 3am from my bed after getting some info and finding out I could get out of it.

I'm not saying you did this, but a lot of what I said above will be determined by my customer. You want to run you mouth about waiting on a Friday night at 6pm when we're slammed? You're damn right I'm going to try and get out of it. Nowhere in my job description does it say I have to put of with verbally abusive people. Also there is no law that says I have to tow your ass. I will (and have) driven the hell off and left people for being assholes.

If I was a betting man is say the driver was either in a bad mood already or it was some crap tow he wasn't going to make money on and used your kayak as the out he needed to leave. Been there done that.

On the flip side I have towed "modified" stuff and done crazy shit to help people out. It all depends on the situation.

Here's a vid of me off loading a lowered Honda S2000. This is the exact reason why I refuse 99% of these types of tows. Even with the dovetail flatbed and race ramps it still drug the nose. I kept moving the bed up and down trying to change the angle to help it, but no dice. Dude was chill and didn't mind though. Even gave me a tip. Sorry for not having my phone the right way Embarassed

https://youtu.be/TMPDLwaZOoQ

This is probably what we are not getting. People get all twisted up and talk shit to the tow driver. Just like the stereotype of every mechanic being dishonest. Public looks down their noses at these service industries and the people that work there. Talk shit to me, I'll take twice as long and charge you for it. It's called the asshole tax. I noticed a person yakking on a cell phone going through grocery ck out line. Cashier said they often shortchanged those inconsiderate pukes that did that and that they rarely if ever counted their change or caught on that they were being hosed. Moral here? Treat people with just a little respect, you'll be amazed at the level of service you receive. Try thanking and or complimenting those folks, it goes a long way too.
Cali_Army_Guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 10:05 am    Post subject: Re: AAA coverage problems members should now about Reply with quote

Ahh yes. The asshole tax. Used that numerous times haha.

Not saying the OP was a jerk or anything. Just trying to give some insight about being a tow truck driver. You'd be amazed at the stuff that will get done for you when you're nice.

This is the other thing that would set me off:
I show up to a house to tow a wrecked car to a body shop,
Me: oh hey what's up, is this the vehicle being towed?
Customer: yes, oh can you wait before you start so I can get a few things out of my car?
Me: yes I guess (I move to small talk knowing the answer already) how long ago did the accident happen?
Customer: about a week ago
Me to myself: why the fuck didn't you pull your shit out then you fucking piece of shit? Oh no we'll just waste my fucking time.

You realize if a driver has 12 calls a day and some fuckhead customer wastes 5 mins at each one that's turns in to 1 hour of wasted time. When your commission only that one hour is serious waste of time.

That's when the excuses to leave to coming out of the wood work. Want to waste my time? Call back when you're ready. Bye bye
Lind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 11:27 am    Post subject: Re: AAA coverage problems members should now about Reply with quote

I can completely understand the driver refusing a vehicle with stuff attached to the outside of it. If anything comes off or gets damaged, then it is the tow truck driver's problem. I would never fault someone for refusing to do something that they feel is unsafe.

AAA is awesome. I have had very good experiences with them.
VWoA literature and early dealership or distributor literature/pictures/information
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ALLWAGONS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 3:57 pm    Post subject: Re: AAA coverage problems members should now about Reply with quote

Malokin Martin wrote:
Sorry but AAA roadside assistance kicks serious ass.

I get towed at least 2-4 times a year with AAA for various reasons (I'm guessing like 15 tows in the 7 years I've had it). I get "Uber platinum super coverage" or whatever the hell they call it as a Christmas gift. The drivers are THE most clean and courteous bar none. No hassle. No bullshit. Flatbed? You got it. Straps instead of chain hooks? No problem. And no... They could care less which greaseball shop I'm towing it to.

Realistically common sense would dictate that I don't want your giant 100 lb hipster death spear strapped to the top of a car I was towing at 60mph either. No matter how good you say it was attached. How is that outrageous?

Ditto!

I recycle old cars and parts, other than when I rot, that's as Green as I am going to get.

Thanks to my Tesla driving neighbors, I feel more relaxed driving my SUBURBAN and old VW's.

NON INFLUENCER APPROVED
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
obus Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 6:25 pm    Post subject: Re: AAA coverage problems members should now about Reply with quote

I have obus'd numerous times in the bus and AAA has come to my rescue. I can see where it must be frustrating though. Maybe they could have had you sign a release form saying they are not responsible for anything the kayak/canoe damages. I don't know the answer. sucks that he left you hanging though. I am always gracious and i always tip the guy when he is done.
1960 Paprika Red Karmann Ghia Convertible aka Schatze L452 built 5/20/60
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
66 21 window bus built 8/31/65 https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=777273
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
crukab
Samba Chef

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 6:49 pm    Post subject: Re: AAA coverage problems members should now about Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Brought this Bus ^^^ home -92 miles for FREE !! I suggested a $75 "extraction" fee, and AAA paid the tow home.
We are 19 year members, my wife, daughter & I, 5 tows each -- 100 miles each, $166/year, I have used all my tows plus some of the wifes in a year, sometimes just few of mine, brought home MANY a un-registered/un-inspected Vw, w/ no problems, had cars towed to a shop when I didn't have time to drive them there. Last week my daughter had AAA come open her friends car when the friends Baby had hit the door lock button getting out of the car, locking the keys inside, 30 min. later AAA had the car open....
And 10% off at NAPA !!

My Pops:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=604100&highlight=
I know you will always be with me, rest in peace with no more pain. 8/13/14.....

In the yard right now:
'51 Dodge 5 window truck
'65 Bug
'66 Singlecab
'82 Rabbit Truck Diesel from CALI Smile
'86 Doublecab W/T
'91 Vanagon carat/wolfsbrg.Tiico
'88 Dodge Ram pickup
'11 Jetta Wagon
Cali_Army_Guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 7:50 pm    Post subject: Re: AAA coverage problems members should now about Reply with quote

crukab wrote:

Brought this Bus ^^^ home -92 miles for FREE !! I suggested a $75 "extraction" fee, and AAA paid the tow home.
We are 19 year members, my wife, daughter & I, 5 tows each -- 100 miles each, $166/year, I have used all my tows plus some of the wifes in a year, sometimes just few of mine, brought home MANY a un-registered/un-inspected Vw, w/ no problems, had cars towed to a shop when I didn't have time to drive them there. Last week my daughter had AAA come open her friends car when the friends Baby had hit the door lock button getting out of the car, locking the keys inside, 30 min. later AAA had the car open....
And 10% off at NAPA !!

This is where is pays to be nice to the driver. Out here AAA does NOT cover tows for vehicles with expired registration. Even if it's on non op. It must have current valid registration and be legal to be driven on the roadway.

With that said, being a fellow classic car guy I'd have hauled that out of there and never told the office it wasn't tagged as long as you weren't an ass to me. I've done it before. It's when people call at 4:30 and want their junk towed to a shop that closes at 5 and I get there and it's not tagged. Sorry about your luck.
joe56vw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 8:17 pm    Post subject: Re: AAA coverage problems members should now about Reply with quote

In all my years fucking around with old cars i have had very mixed experiences with AAA tow drivers
Like it has been said already it really is up to the mood of the driver on weather you get towed or not
Also like with everything you either get good, crappy, or ok service and it usually depends on peoples moods, laziness, or sometimes greed Rolling Eyes

But everytime i have gotten an asshole tow truck driver i would get right back on the phone with AAA and tell them the driver they sent is being ......... and they would sent out another driver usually from a different company

Once when i was younger my buddy had AAA plus RV and got his schoolbus towed home from northbend to whidbey island just because we didn't have enough money for gas and to get on the ferry Laughing

why is there no sarcasism button on here?
the joker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 1:52 pm    Post subject: Re: AAA coverage problems members should now about Reply with quote

This thread has gone over the deep end with this Shocked

I don't care about drivers and their MOODS you are paid to haul you haul if you can , if you don't have the nuts for it walk away

I just informing you on the hassles that you may have to deal with AAA if you travel with shit on your roof

I'm sending all the paperwork to AAA for review /refund let's hope it all works out

ps I was nice as pie to the driver and he still was a dick it was a 45 mile tow maybe he didn't want to be late for dinner or better yet maybe it was his
time of the month Evil or Very Mad
Cali_Army_Guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 2:16 pm    Post subject: Re: AAA coverage problems members should now about Reply with quote

the joker wrote:

I don't care about drivers and their MOODS you are paid to haul you haul if you can , if you don't have the nuts for it walk away

And we don't care about yours or your car's problems.

My job was never "complete that call no matter what it takes". It was always "complete that call if it can be done safely and within the guidelines set by our tow yard and AAA."

Guess who's at fault when your kayak flies off? The tow truck driver for not securing his load. Dude didn't want the risk. Get over it and move on.
the joker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 2:27 pm    Post subject: Re: AAA coverage problems members should now about Reply with quote

No it's complete the call if it don't get your panties in a bunch about it
who you kidding a tow operator with a half a brain can make ANY haul safe

I had enough rope I could have tied that sucker down 3 times he was a dick, and it seems you are too

get off this thread I'm just informing your defending your trade if you want to call it that
Cali_Army_Guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 3:08 pm    Post subject: Re: AAA coverage problems members should now about Reply with quote

the joker wrote:
a tow operator with a half a brain can make ANY haul safe

IF they want to. Like I said in my first post in this thread. He didn't want to tow you. It really is that simple.
Bob Loblaw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 8:13 am    Post subject: Re: AAA coverage problems members should now about Reply with quote

the joker wrote:
No it's complete the call if it don't get your panties in a bunch about it
who you kidding a tow operator with a half a brain can make ANY haul safe

I had enough rope I could have tied that sucker down 3 times he was a dick, and it seems you are too

get off this thread I'm just informing your defending your trade if you want to call it that

Yeah, you were clearly as sweet as pie to the driver. It seems to be how you roll. Rolling Eyes
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 11:21 am    Post subject: Re: AAA coverage problems members should now about Reply with quote

Bob Loblaw wrote:

Yeah, you were clearly as sweet as pie to the driver. It seems to be how you roll. Rolling Eyes

Seriously

I've never met a tow truck driver I didn't like. 20+ years of driving Volkswagens, so that's a lot of tows over time. Of course, I'm generally a good person and am thankful for help when I'm in a jam.

Well, there was this one. cracked me up when he used a screwdriver to hold this in place, no chains, most beat-up looking and sounding old 80's wrecker truck I've ever seen

see the screwdriver? Genius...

Cali_Army_Guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 12:00 pm    Post subject: Re: AAA coverage problems members should now about Reply with quote

Erik G wrote:

Seriously

I've never met a tow truck driver I didn't like. 20+ years of driving Volkswagens, so that's a lot of tows over time. Of course, I'm generally a good person and am thankful for help when I'm in a jam.

Well, there was this one. cracked me up when he used a screwdriver to hold this in place, no chains, most beat-up looking and sounding old 80's wrecker truck I've ever seen

see the screwdriver? Genius...

His only mistake was running his light cord under the rubber part of your wiper blade. If on a long tow doing that "could" mess up that part and make it not wipe that tiny area. Yes people have called and complained about that Rolling Eyes
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 1:08 pm    Post subject: Re: AAA coverage problems members should now about Reply with quote

This is not a bitch or a rant regarding my experience with tow truck drivers.
I had AAA tow a BMW that broke a timing belt years ago. The driver was a super nice guy that happened to be a pit crew member on Greg Biffles CWTS team back in the 90's. Towed the car to my house and was as pleasant as can be. Thanks Don.
Fast forward a few years and I'm driving my 69 Baja to work on the Banfield FWY. The engine let go due to a flattened cam. Called AAA and guess who shows up? Don Very Happy Another great conversation about truck racing and again a pleasant tow. Don was a great guy.
In the last year I have had my 67 on the roll back 2 times due to 50yo parts breaking that I didn't expect. The first time was a broken shift rod bushing carrier breaking and the second time was a failed rag joint in the steering column. These 2 tows were covered by my insurance company. In the second case the driver was a very nice guy. We had a great conversation about the current state of the automotive industry. In the case of the failed carrier the driver picked up the car without me being there and towed it to my house. He even called me while I was headed to meet him at the car. Said he'd see me at my house in 10 minutes. Yet another pleasant experience. To be clear here, I was unaware that it is customary to tip the driver Embarassed I just didn't know.
I guess the point I'm trying to make here is, that even though I neglected to tip these fantastic drivers. I treated every one of them with the utmost respect for the service that they provided. I was relieved every time I saw that truck round the corner to pick up my sorry ass broken car and me most of the time.
Treat others as you wish to be treated and you will be amazed at the level of service that you receive.
Have a great weekend

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: