Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Which sump to buy??
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 6:10 am    Post subject: Re: Which sump to buy?? Reply with quote

Whatever sump you buy, make sure you wash it out before using. Sand cast sumps can still have sand in them.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 6:15 am    Post subject: Re: Which sump to buy?? Reply with quote

Ditto on Glenn's remark about washing out sump...

Also at issue when adding sum be sure pickup tube is at correct height... Had one fellow set things up, bolt on sump, put on strainer and sump plate and go happily on his way, only problem was after a while he had oil problems... Seems that he got pickup tube wrong, and screen was pressing on it and bent over angle cut of tube and almost completely closed off pickup tube extension... As Elmer Fudd say's while hunting "wabbbits" be "vwerry careful"

EMPI and SCAT sumps use stock sized drain plate.... So much for CB Performance and their "filter"... But I supposed you could center and secure standard strainer to large CB drain plate, but that would be more holes to seal....

Now that you mention it, I have the CB sump on my 2084 and that is why I do not run strainer... Also had bung TIG welded into drain plate for drain plug so I do not have to deal with "custom" gasket for drain plate...

Quite frankly EMPI or SCAT sump is better option....

Dale

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...

Last edited by Dale M. on Fri Jul 08, 2016 6:34 am; edited 1 time in total
Tom_Kathleen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 6:30 am    Post subject: Re: Which sump to buy?? Reply with quote

I like the Scat sumps. They have internal supports that make it so you can lift the engine without cracking the sump and are very low profile. Tom
Manxter #16, 1968 Meyers Manx & Kick-Out SS #16 (WIP)
Manx Club & CVA
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 3:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Which sump to buy?? Reply with quote

The CB sump plate has 2 threaded holes to bolt the screen to, it should stay put. I lock title mine when I put the bolts in.

brad
joescoolcustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 5:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Which sump to buy?? Reply with quote

slalombuggy wrote:
The CB sump plate has 2 threaded holes to bolt the screen to, it should stay put. I lock title mine when I put the bolts in.

brad

Good to know! My first one does not have the holes. The one on the shelf has the holes and are threaded. Saves me some $$ from buying the aftermarket screen.

Everyone is gifted. Some just do not open the package.

Looks like it was painted with a live chicken,polished with a brick and buffed with a pine cone
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Glasser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 7:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Which sump to buy?? Reply with quote

Not sure if they are available but if you can find one with a drain plug it sure is nice. I milled a flat spot and drilled and tapped for a drain plug.
Project#2. Neighbors build up. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=327008
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 7:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Which sump to buy?? Reply with quote

Glasser wrote:
Not sure if they are available but if you can find one with a drain plug it sure is nice. I milled a flat spot and drilled and tapped for a drain plug.

Yep, I wish they came with a plug. Dumping 6L of hot oil out of a big hole makes a hell of a mess no matter how careful you are.

brad
Glasser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 7:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Which sump to buy?? Reply with quote

Had to pull the magnet out of the drain plug, had clearance issue with the screen. But it sure is nice.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Project#2. Neighbors build up. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=327008
joescoolcustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 7:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Which sump to buy?? Reply with quote

I drilled and tapped mine for a 3/8 NPT so it has a brass pipe plug to drain with.

Everyone is gifted. Some just do not open the package.

Looks like it was painted with a live chicken,polished with a brick and buffed with a pine cone
Glasser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 6:15 am    Post subject: Re: Which sump to buy?? Reply with quote

Well that would have made better sense doing it that way rather than figuring out what the VW threads were, buying a drill and a tap........
manxdavid
Samba Member

Location: David Jones, Anglesey, North Wales, UK. Manxclub #678.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 7:10 am    Post subject: Re: Which sump to buy?? Reply with quote

I use the regular Beetle sump plate with the drain plug in the center in the deep sump that I got from Latest Rage. It was only cheap but the casting's good and there were no signs of any left-over sand. It takes the stock oil VW strainer. I got a filter pump from the same source (I belive that they're using the old JS&C castings) that I use along with a filter designed for a VW Golf. No issues at all after a lot of miles.
Skulptorchaz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 4:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Which sump to buy?? Reply with quote

Thank you for all the great info and ideas. I am just now (this weekend) getting around to playing and investigating since my eye surgery last week.
I am looking at the sumps you guys suggested and seeing which one I think is the best one for me. (Yeah, price comes into it as well.) Plus, I still like the idea of a filter in there as well as a screen. It just seems, to me, to be the best bet. But, as I have said before, I don't know and that is why I ask.
Any other suggestions are greatly appreciated!!!
Skulptorchaz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 12:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Which sump to buy?? Reply with quote

OK, so I am going to go with a SCAT 1.5 sump. I also want to do this right so I want to know if while doing this, should I "full flow" the engine? (I want to anyway.) Any drilling and tapping should be no problem. Are the SCAT products, in your minds, good for this modification as well?
One problem I see is that the filter housing with filter could be too long. I have a CB external filter on a spare 1641 and with filter on it, it is about 7/8" too long to fit inside my sidewinder exhaust. Maybe a shorter filter will work but not sure. It would still have to be gotten onto the holder so a 7/8'' shorter filter would not work - I don't think.
Any suggestions?? I could maybe cut the length of the filter holder down and reweld it, if necessary. (I own a welding shop)
Thanks!!
manxdavid
Samba Member

Location: David Jones, Anglesey, North Wales, UK. Manxclub #678.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 11:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Which sump to buy?? Reply with quote

Sureley with a remote filter you can mount it wherever you want and just route the hoses to it?
Skulptorchaz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 5:39 am    Post subject: Re: Which sump to buy?? Reply with quote

Yep. Brain fart David. Smile I got side tracked looking over my spare with the solid mount. Thanks.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: