Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Awesome powdercoat scat fan shroud...
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lingwendil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 7:14 am    Post subject: Awesome powdercoat scat fan shroud... Reply with quote

Guys, forgive me, for I am contemplating a grave sin-

I'm gathering up all the tin I need for my next engine, and I'm having a hell of a time finding OEM doghouse shrouds that aren't thrashed locally, and everyone I find online never replied back or isn't willing to ship. The engine I'm building will be either a 1904 or 1967cc, and will end up with either kadrons or IDF carbs- a mild motor for sure. I will be running heaterboxes.

I'm usually a stock or nothing guy when it comes to tin, but seeing as how so many people use the 36hp style shrouds without issue (long term even) I'm considering grabbing one from awesome powdercoat, and having them modify it for use with a real Hoover bit, thermostat/flaps, putting in some threaded inserts for coil mount, and running it. I already have the firewall, apron, breastplate, and cylinderhead tin, and just need sleds, shroud, and oil cooler exhaust tin.

Hers the page where they show what they do-

http://www.awesomepowdercoat.com/products.html

Am I a heretic?

I mean, at least I'm not one of those degenerates that run all chrome right?

Modify your Kadrons for SVDA http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8115884#8115884

Cast iron VJU4BR8 SVDA reference thread- https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

Need replacement filters for original Kadron aircleaners? WIX #42087 is a perfect fit, as is Napa Gold #2087!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oldschool5er
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 7:20 am    Post subject: Re: Awesome powdercoat scat fan shroud... Reply with quote

Lol answered your own question... the longer time goes by we all will become Heretics unless you have a stash, my stash is long gone lol

Full machine shop with all types of CNC. Rapid prototyping available, CNC Plasma cutting, 3D printing and Laser engraving.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Lingwendil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 7:40 am    Post subject: Re: Awesome powdercoat scat fan shroud... Reply with quote

oldschool5er wrote:
Lol answered your own question... the longer time goes by we all will become Heretics unless you have a stash, my stash is long gone lol

The shroud on my car now is my last one from the stash, lol. It seems to have gotten much more difficult to find good parts the last couple years without them being nearly ruined or prohibitively expensive...

Modify your Kadrons for SVDA http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8115884#8115884

Cast iron VJU4BR8 SVDA reference thread- https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

Need replacement filters for original Kadron aircleaners? WIX #42087 is a perfect fit, as is Napa Gold #2087!
sled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 8:22 am    Post subject: Re: Awesome powdercoat scat fan shroud... Reply with quote

Lingwendil wrote:
It seems to have gotten much more difficult to find good parts the last couple years without them being nearly ruined or prohibitively expensive...

Much of that probably has to do with where you live. Vw's and parts are still plentiful and inexpensive other places in the country. A few months ago I went part-picking at an old shop and walked away with four mint doghouse shrouds with Venturi rings (among other parts) for very little. The guy had over 40 shrouds as well as all the other tin in many multiples.

California is expensive in many ways 😉
Brian_e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 8:22 am    Post subject: Re: Awesome powdercoat scat fan shroud... Reply with quote

Just run a 36hp shroud. If they didn't work, so many people wouldn't be running them. You will also be glad you did when you go to install your IDF's.

Brian
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Lingwendil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 12:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Awesome powdercoat scat fan shroud... Reply with quote

Brian_e wrote:
Just run a 36hp shroud. If they didn't work, so many people wouldn't be running them. You will also be glad you did when you go to install your IDF's.

Brian

That's what I'm thinking. I'm going to have the new engine set up with oil temp, CHT, oil pressure gauges, so it's not like I'll be flying blind. I'm going to be painting it all purple anyway, so less reason for people to be upset if it's aftermarket, lol.

porkchop-rob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 12:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Awesome powdercoat scat fan shroud... Reply with quote

[quote="Lingwendil"]
Brian_e wrote:
...so less reason for people to be upset if it's aftermarket, lol.

If people are upset that your running an aftermarket fan shroud...they need to get a life. Laughing

I run the Scat on mine and have been more than happy. Just be sure to extend your hoover bit or buy the matching one.
Agent47
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 12:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Awesome powdercoat scat fan shroud... Reply with quote

I might have a decent fan stock fan shroud. If you would like I can dig it out and send you pics.
vintagecarleds
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 1:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Awesome powdercoat scat fan shroud... Reply with quote

I have a OEM doghouse fan Shroud thats pretty straight.

Could use a good pressure wash and a coat of paint.

But hey, its OEM!

PM me if you're interested. I will email some photos.
catarinoforlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 8:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Awesome powdercoat scat fan shroud... Reply with quote

I'm ordering a SCAT shroud with all the flaps and thermostat fitted to work with my header. I'll let you know how it goes.
jason
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 9:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Awesome powdercoat scat fan shroud... Reply with quote

You can get it cheaper from someone other than awesome powdercoat. If you do get from awesome, the powdercoat sucks. Will look textured. His welds are also terrible. I have one, I know. Wanted to go easy way and order it ready to go and was way unhappy. He said ship it back and he'd fix it. I could by a new one for the cost of shipping. Looks like he threw sand in the powder. I also got NOS OE sled tins from CIP pretty cheap. Last one I went to Scat direct. Their powder looks good.
Eaallred
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 7:04 am    Post subject: Re: Awesome powdercoat scat fan shroud... Reply with quote

The regular Scat and Empi 36 horse style shrouds work fine. The big "Shroud debates" of 15 years ago were just that, 15 years ago. Nothing really came of it other than someone pushing the sales of their own shroud spouting off data that was never shown publicly to scare the masses. He made his money and moved on, and so should we.

You have to remember something: Everybody pities the weak; Jealousy you have to earn.
Lo Cash John
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 7:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Awesome powdercoat scat fan shroud... Reply with quote

Amen!!!

If you actually drive your VW, you need www.AirMapp.com

My boss told me I need to work on my mutli-tasking. So now when I use the bathroom at work I surf The Samba on my iPhone.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
67jason
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 11:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Awesome powdercoat scat fan shroud... Reply with quote

Lingwendil wrote:

I'm gathering up all the tin I need for my next engine, and I'm having a hell of a time finding OEM doghouse shrouds that aren't thrashed locally, and everyone I find online never replied back or isn't willing to ship. The engine I'm building will be either a 1904 or 1967cc, and will end up with either kadrons or IDF carbs- a mild motor for sure. I will be running heaterboxes.

I'm usually a stock or nothing guy when it comes to tin, but seeing as how so many people use the 36hp style shrouds without issue (long term even) I'm considering grabbing one from awesome powdercoat, and having them modify it for use with a real Hoover bit, thermostat/flaps, putting in some threaded inserts for coil mount, and running it. I already have the firewall, apron, breastplate, and cylinderhead tin, and just need sleds, shroud, and oil cooler exhaust tin.

Am I a heretic?

I might have a stock doghouse shroud...let me check my stash tomorrow. yours if you want it.
Lingwendil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 5:57 am    Post subject: Re: Awesome powdercoat scat fan shroud... Reply with quote

67jason wrote:
Lingwendil wrote:

Am I a heretic?

I might have a stock doghouse shroud...let me check my stash tomorrow. yours if you want it.

Cool. ill shoot you a line in the next few days.
Very Happy

vdub516
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 7:50 am    Post subject: Re: Awesome powdercoat scat fan shroud... Reply with quote

After looking at the company I say why not! In the USA, trying to improve VW parts, and good prices. All reasons sound like winners.....?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: