Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Five speed transaxle and rear seats
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
1950split
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 6:24 am    Post subject: Five speed transaxle and rear seats Reply with quote

Hi,

I am going to fit a 5 speed transaxle in my 58 bug. With the Berg 5, I need to mod the firewall panel Under the bench for the more cumbersome nose of the box (meaning I need to make a hole for it and build a "box" to close it).

I would like to keep my rear seats and do minimal mods to the original rear seat as it is still covered with the original cloth which is in exceptional shape.

Has anyone that has encountered this situation pics of the mods he did to fit the rear seats with a 5 speed gearbox ?

It is painful to "cut" the original seat, therefore I want to make it the less invasive as possible and the cleanest I can.

Many thanks for your input !

Phil
Trevor P
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 6:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Five speed transaxle and rear seats Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Sorry to tell you, but on an early car there's real no way around putting in the Berg 5 without modifying the seat bottom. My last pic shows the area I had to cut away some of the frame work in order to clear the box section I built into my 57. It doesn't show the finished product, but I ended up cutting out the centre bar and making 2 that go front to back on either side of the box section area (if that makes sense?)
70 911T
91 Westy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
smkn_vw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 11:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Five speed transaxle and rear seats Reply with quote

Yep rear seat has to be modified or lifted couple inches (more with a box cover). Here's some pics from my 59' bug. I don't use a rear seat but out of curiosity I tried fitting the rear seat and it sits on the trans towards the front edge. I used a dremel tool to cut the hole and went through several cutting discs, the cutout is 3" x 8" and centered.

1950split
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 9:07 am    Post subject: Re: Five speed transaxle and rear seats Reply with quote

Thanks for your replies.

Ouch I thought that I would have to cut the seat as you did. Confused

I first thought I coud bend up the bottom of the frame in order for it to match the shape of the box but it will be probably pretty tough..
plash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 12:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Five speed transaxle and rear seats Reply with quote

Off topic a little, I'd like to hear more about the pro's and cons of the 5 speed.
73 karmann ghia is my project car...haven't decided on engine size but it'll be substantial.
Howard 111
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 12:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Five speed transaxle and rear seats Reply with quote

It's a PRO if you want a nice cruiser with less drop in the RPM when shifting.

CON mostly for hot street, or drag car, you have one extra gear to go through. Each shift, 4 or 5 speed, disrupts applying the HP for a split second.
plash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 1:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Five speed transaxle and rear seats Reply with quote

To Howard111
73 kg turbo And Efi...id so like to pick your brain.
What size engine and how much boost? How much hp are you
getting and and and....So Many Questions
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 5:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Five speed transaxle and rear seats Reply with quote

I have a 2180 with a Berg 5 in a 74 Beetle. It fits real easy.

Drives like a dream.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jason
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 7:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Five speed transaxle and rear seats Reply with quote

I have a friend that put a 5 in a 59 ghia. Dimpled in that area is all it needed. Seat wasnt effected.
-Alex77-
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 2:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Five speed transaxle and rear seats Reply with quote

I have berg bus 5-speed on my 1972 beetle. I dont know much the nosecone differs from type 1 berg-5, but i will soon find out. Looks like it might need some clearancing at firewall panel.

plash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 4:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Five speed transaxle and rear seats Reply with quote

Might be a silly question but is there a reason no one is using the 5 speed from a 911?
Howard 111
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 5:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Five speed transaxle and rear seats Reply with quote

Plash, click on the link in my post. I've run 12lbs of boost, but a change of springs in the waste gate doubles that. I've never tried it. It scares me now at 12lbs. Very Happy I've never had it on a dyno, so no idea about the HP.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 6:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Five speed transaxle and rear seats Reply with quote

plash wrote:
Might be a silly question but is there a reason no one is using the 5 speed from a 911?

Yes... much larger.
You have to fabricate all the mounts.
You have to transplant the Porsche shifter and linkage.
It's geared for a 6 cylinder, not a 4 cylinder
Early 901 had a Dog Leg 1st.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dnielsen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 8:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Five speed transaxle and rear seats Reply with quote

plash wrote:

The Porsche 901 5 speed was popular for a little while, maybe 10-15 years ago. I don't hear about too many people using them in VWs nowadays. I have one in my bug and would rather have a stock 4 speed. The dogleg 1st is annoying and even though the ratios are great around town, I'm still revving really high at freeway speed.
Bruce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 10:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Five speed transaxle and rear seats Reply with quote

plash wrote:

You need to borrow a 70s or 80s 911 for a drive. The P guys won't admit it, but their gearboxes shift like crap. The Porsche design synchros are utter junk, you have to shift them slowly every time.
It wasn't until 1987 that Porsche finally abandoned their crappy synchros in favour of the superior 1930s design Borg Warner type synchros that all other cars on the planet use, including VW.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bill Schwimmer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 7:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Five speed transaxle and rear seats Reply with quote

To answer the original question, you can put the back seat in without cutting the seat frame. My '59 has a small sheetmetal bump for the clearance, no bigger than it needs & the seat frame I gave a small bend in the center. The cross bar that the front of the seat sits into, I slotted to move it as far forward as I could. Seat bottom goes in just barely. Hope this helps. Bill
-Alex77-
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 2:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Five speed transaxle and rear seats Reply with quote

Mounts are available, but there is little bit more fabrication than fitting berg5.

901 trans is not much bigger than berg5 type 1, but 915 is bulkier.

Yeah, unfortunately 901 had dog leg 1st, probably meant more for tight corners with shifting between 2nd 3rd gear, than fast drag starts with 1st and 2nd gears.

But the the early ratios of 901 and 915 are pretty good for big engine ( +2200cc) vw's. All 901's and early 915 ones had 4.43 r+p and 1st gear usually 3.09 on 901's and 3.18 on 915's. Fifth gear usually between 0.72-0.79.

http://www.gboxweb.com/901specs.html

http://www.gboxweb.com/915specs.html

But vw transaxles have bit better syncros, they dont rely friction like 901 and 915. Smoother and faster shifting with vw transaxle.

Glenn wrote:
plash wrote:

Yes... much larger.
You have to fabricate all the mounts.
You have to transplant the Porsche shifter and linkage.
It's geared for a 6 cylinder, not a 4 cylinder
Early 901 had a Dog Leg 1st.

GTV
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 2:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Five speed transaxle and rear seats Reply with quote

I drove a 69 Beetle with a 901 trans (and a stock engine) on and off for a few months probably 10 years or more ago. The dogleg 1st was weird at first, but once you get used to it... absolutely fantastic. Rowing between 2nd and 3rd on twisty mountain roads was pure bliss.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: