Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1970 VW Baja 1.6 Diesel Engine Conversions
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ratfink11
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 12:21 am    Post subject: 1970 VW Baja 1.6 Diesel Engine Conversions Reply with quote

Hi all,

looking for any info on 1.6l diesel conversions such as provided in pics below.
Any suggestions welcomed.

Last edited by Ratfink11 on Thu Aug 18, 2016 10:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ratfink11
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 8:24 pm    Post subject: Re: 1970 VW Baja 1.6 Diesel Engine Conversions Reply with quote

Examples listed in gallery....
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Last edited by Ratfink11 on Thu Aug 18, 2016 10:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
enjoyther1de
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 8:35 pm    Post subject: Re: 1970 VW Baja 1.6 Diesel Engine Conversions Reply with quote

Cajon pass killer!
Ratfink11
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2016 2:14 am    Post subject: Re: 1970 VW Baja 1.6 Diesel Engine Conversions Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Last edited by Ratfink11 on Thu Aug 18, 2016 10:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2016 3:28 am    Post subject: Re: 1970 VW Baja 1.6 Diesel Engine Conversions Reply with quote

With the exception of running all the plumbing, it's a decent conversion. I would suggest additional support of the frame horns & even an extra mounting point to the rear cage to keep the extra weight of the engine from fatiguing the frame horns.

The only other issues are that the water outlet on the back of the cylinder head will interfere with the firewall, but this is used for the heater core so just drilling a 2" hole in the firewall for it to enter the cabin actually works to your advantage. And the other is that you will need to route a fuel return line back to the tank. For the fuel return line to the tank, I drilled a small hole in the bottom of tank just a few inches from the original fuel outlet, then I removed the original fuel fitting from the bottom of the tank, flipped it over (using the 90* bend in it to direct the returned fuel down in the tank) & brazed it into the hole I drilled. I then made another fuel outlet "tap" by brazing a washer to a larger piece of brake line that matched the diesels pump inlet that could now be fastened in the original outlet location on the tank.

Kennedy Engineered Products makes the adaptor, and, as I'm sure you know, the diesel uses the same mounting points as the 4 cylinder gas engine.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 10:55 pm    Post subject: Re: 1970 VW Baja 1.6 Diesel Engine Conversions Reply with quote

enjoyther1de wrote:
Cajon pass killer!

This refers to a mountain pass that the old Route 66 and the modern Interstate Highway 15 go through to connect the LA basin to the high desert to the north east. The summit is around 4,000' elevation. The mountains west of the pass are 10,000' high and the east side are 12,000'. enjoyther1de is referring to the climb up the pass and thinking the 1.6TDi will climb it better than a stock 1600 Bug engine.
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
Kicked Cancer's A$$...1st and 2nd round...Fight ain't over yet.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ratfink11
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 3:33 pm    Post subject: Re: 1970 VW Baja 1.6 Diesel Engine Conversions Reply with quote

Thanks for the info.
Not familiar enough with the off-road class and didn't get the reference. Most of my time off road is spent in the mountains...

Last edited by Ratfink11 on Thu Aug 18, 2016 10:28 pm; edited 2 times in total
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 7:46 pm    Post subject: Re: 1970 VW Baja 1.6 Diesel Engine Conversions Reply with quote

Unfortunately no pics are available of that car. I did use a vanagon rear heater unit with the blower motor on the drivers side under the rear seat, I was even able to pipe it in to the drivers side rocker so I could still have defrost.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 4:43 pm    Post subject: Re: 1970 VW Baja 1.6 Diesel Engine Conversions Reply with quote

So TDCTDI...That was your Baja with the diesel?

Ratfink, where are you located? enjoytheride is another SoCal offroader like me. Nothing to do with offroad racing or anything like that. He WAS referring to driving in the mountains, but on a major hiway. The Cajon Pass (pronounced "Cah-hone" - means box canyon) recently burned in a big brush fire. 35K acres. Burned a lot of rural homes.
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 6:11 pm    Post subject: Re: 1970 VW Baja 1.6 Diesel Engine Conversions Reply with quote

No sir, I had an orange one that I built about 15 years ago & it was much less attractive.

TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 6:37 pm    Post subject: Re: 1970 VW Baja 1.6 Diesel Engine Conversions Reply with quote

The IDI diesels & turbo diesels were a much simpler engine than even the air cooled engines, no points, spark plugs or wires to foul or fail, no need to adjust carb/s (& no flooding issues at severe angles) or even valve adjustments. The only additional thing was the cooling system. But most importantly, is the need for additional support for the extra weight of the diesel, the frame horns failed on mine.

dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 9:43 pm    Post subject: Re: 1970 VW Baja 1.6 Diesel Engine Conversions Reply with quote

I've had frame horns fail on a Baja from supporting a VW aircooled magnesium case engine. Support is a good thing.
SoCalBajas Member
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: