Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

brake drum question
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
cdm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 6:51 pm    Post subject: brake drum question Reply with quote

I have a nice set of 4x130 wheels I would like to use on my '64 Ghia which currently has 5x205 drums. I can't find the difference between '64 drums and the later 4x130's; they appear to be dimensionally the same. I can't find the hub spec however. Unless that is different it appears the later type 1, 4 bolt drums will fit.

Am I missing something? I would like to avoid adapters if possible. Tks.
Mellow Yellow 74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 12:37 am    Post subject: Re: brake drum question Reply with quote

I don't know the answer to your question but as well as the drums you need to check the width and offset of the wheels and whether you have short or long axles to make sure the wheels aren't going to rub on the guards.

Last edited by Mellow Yellow 74 on Fri Aug 26, 2016 4:11 am; edited 1 time in total
sactojesse
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 10:52 am    Post subject: Re: brake drum question Reply with quote

I believe that late model (1967+ for ghias/1968+ for beetles) brake drums used a brake shoe that was 1 cm wider (40 mm vs 30 mm), but the overall diameter was the same. To make room for the wider brake shoes, 4 x 130 mm drums are deeper than 5 x 205 mm drums. I'm not sure if they would work with the older shoes and backing plates.
fes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 6:26 am    Post subject: Re: brake drum question Reply with quote

You might want to check the length of the axle snout on the drums,When I did the switch on my '68 to pre '67 short axles, I had to machine 5/8" of my drums
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: