Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Semaphores
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
turbotype1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 6:55 pm    Post subject: Semaphores Reply with quote

I was at a car show tonite and was told by the owner of a beetle with semaphores that you can not use the semaphores over 45MPH or they will break. True or Nonsense?
This new fad of get it the lowest, or run it with the worst looks, (patina) isn't cool, it's for the hey everyone look at me crowd, i'm driving a beat down ratty, unsafe, VW, how cool am I ???...your not....

Pissing off the purists since 1997

Wanted: Boyd Motors plate frame

57 Turbo Oval Sliding rag
67 13 window delux walk-thru- now 21
64 all original for the misses
83 Sinka m-TDI diesel
Wiggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 7:00 pm    Post subject: Re: semaphores Reply with quote

Nonsense

My 58 Ghia Vert

My 51 Split 11G

My 57 Deluxe

My 56 Oval
turbotype1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 8:20 pm    Post subject: Re: semaphores Reply with quote

Wiggy wrote:
Nonsense

Of course it is....
This new fad of get it the lowest, or run it with the worst looks, (patina) isn't cool, it's for the hey everyone look at me crowd, i'm driving a beat down ratty, unsafe, VW, how cool am I ???...your not....

83 Sinka m-TDI diesel
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 10:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Semaphores Reply with quote

Nonsense.
I've used on the highway at 55 mph.
They did not break.

If they are old they might stick up at that speed but they fall down as soon as you hit a bump or something.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
3foldfolly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 5:04 am    Post subject: Re: Semaphores Reply with quote

At hwy speed mine may not fully extend due to the lateral air pressure. Also a slight warbling-whistle wind noise is heard.
turbotype1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 6:46 am    Post subject: Re: Semaphores Reply with quote

Couldn't imagine a car company would manufacture a vehicle that would include directionals that would fail just from using them over a certain speed.

I guess it really doesn't matter considering 99.999% of the people out there on the roads don't have a clue what they are for anyway.
We are taught to look for flashing lights as directionals, not flipping arms mounted on the sides of a car.

Thanks for the replies.....Pete

83 Sinka m-TDI diesel
Matts Bug Parts
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 4:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Semaphores Reply with quote

I may well be the source for the advice "do not use your semaphores above 45MPH or they will break" since it is a guideline I share with customers based on a common sense approach and real life experience having bought, restored and sold many hundreds of semaphores of all ages from early ribbed through smooth and convertible.

Here is why:

First, since semaphore turn signals are rarely seen by most motorists using them to signal is often of little use since they may not actually be seen and or understood if seen, hence larger and larger turn signal lenses on todays cars and signals in mirrors etc.

There is one key weakness for all VW semaphores whether made by SWF or SHO and that is that the hinge pin sleeve (the tunnel thru which the hinge pin sits) is pressed into the short, inside arm on SWF ribbed, SHO smooth, SWF smooth and SWF convertible semaphore and is a weak link (and super weak on cheap Asian reproduction). As your car speed increases the wind pressure on this also rises and is a common failure point. It likely will not happen but when it does it sucks. This why I solder all the above noted semaphores where the hinge pin sleeve is pressed into the short or outside arm - only exception is the SHO grooved.

Finally, if you are running original lenses, or SPU repro ribbed, the quality is unsurpassed. When you are speeding along at highway speed and put on your semaphores any small or larger dust particles or debris strikes the lens rather hard causing pitting or worse.

Matt
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
joshbuchan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 8:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Semaphores Reply with quote

In true myth busters fashion I can test mine at 120 mph next time I take the 55 rag out....ill just show the PO-PO this thread if I get caught Wink
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: