Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Need rough appraisal for selling tools
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bigdog1962
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 7:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Need rough appraisal for selling tools Reply with quote

Wow, skills@euro - that's a real eye opener. I mistakenly figured that the mechanics were doing pretty good based on what I was being charged. Boy, was I wrong.

Thanks for the enlightenment!
Oprn wrote: I'm getting to the age that any self propelled woman (no wheel chair or walker) looks HOT!! Oooo! look at that Babe! She made it from the dining room all the way to the TV room without help!! Hubba, hubba!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 8:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Need rough appraisal for selling tools Reply with quote

Embarassed sorry guys...didn't mean to get preachy or "woe is me" about it. the sad fact is even on my worst day chasing a LIN bus or CAN bus network issue, I love what I do.

I try to be speedy and efficient about it.

yes, dealer life stinks and independent life isn't much better. good guys are fleeing at alarming rates to take that "brainless" job for 30/hr at a big company.

so, are we out to rip you off? no (well, I'm not anyway) but we need to get paid what we're worth. add to that a single module can be 700, plus a 100 download to "marry" it to the car...all from a 8,000/year subscription to the mfgr's data system.....on a dedicated laptop that is only good for 1 marque...you can't have say ford, chevy, and dodge on 1 computer...it's expensive.

it's hard to think that this is the "wave of the future" with all the techno junk in the cars. will I always be "in demand"? sure....but when the guy at the submarine base makes 25/hr cleaning toilets and emptying trash, it really makes you wonder why you do it.

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
Jacks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 9:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Need rough appraisal for selling tools Reply with quote

old DKP driver wrote:
When i went to work for Volkswagen in 1971 i showed up the 1st day with a
sears Craftsman 3 drawer tool box that had a lower storage area that cost $49.00 Laughing This lasted without any of the mechanics making fun of this
wet behind the ears wanna-be.

By week 2 and the Snap-on Dealer showing up I did what everyone else did back then......Signed my LIFE away to the tool Gods and purchased a 9 drawer box.
Ok, let's figure this out. What does a tool box do? It simply holds your tools, the ones that you need to do actual repairs. Does the tool holder help to make any difficult repairs easier? The short answer is NO. What is needed is enough space to organize tools in an orderly fashion. Professional mechanics with fancy expensive boxes often show me one of two things. They are charging too much money, or are fiscally irresponsible. Some of the worst mechanics that I have ever seen have beautiful boxes.
Spezialist
Banned

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 5:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Need rough appraisal for selling tools Reply with quote

What you get for a pricy tool carrier is one thing, the durability of a locking box that can move, and have drawers the open all while carrying thousands of pounds of tools.
I have 6,000 lbs of tools that when I need to I can open a drawer and get to at a moments notice. A cheap box won't do it.
How do I know, I've shipped those tools many times.
Even the good boxes take a beating, try dropping a loaded toolbox on its face.
My first box was a deal because the coked up tool dealer dropped it off his tool truck.
Anyways, glad I chose a transient life of working for the rich and famous instead of some job any job. I can't even fathom how that must suck.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: