Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Cylinder copper crush gasket
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
lumbee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 11:30 am    Post subject: Cylinder copper crush gasket Reply with quote

I am rebuilding the motor on a 56 Beetle. After getting the cylinders and head installed I realized I had not installed the copper crush gaskets that go (I am assuming) between the cylinder and the case.

The lazy bastard in me does not want to pull it back apart to put these gaskets in place.

Someone convince me how important these gaskets are. Rolling Eyes
peter schepens
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 1:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Cylinder copper crush gasket Reply with quote

Are you an engineer? Did you invent the 4 stroke Boxer engine, Where you involved in the development of the 1200 cc beetle engine?
I guess NO... Rolling Eyes Smile If so, you know why they are there Laughing ... if not... I guess you have a mission to open the tool box again Embarassed

Sorry, No hard feelings. Guess you will forget them only once. succes.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Isbrand52
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 1:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Cylinder copper crush gasket Reply with quote

Between cylinder and cylinder head
lumbee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 1:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Cylinder copper crush gasket Reply with quote

Peter, that is the kick in the pants I needed!

However, is Isbrand correct? Do these crush gaskets go between the case and the cylinder, or the cylinder and the head?

I'll be much more motivated if I don't have to pry the cylinders off fresh piston rings.
peter schepens
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 2:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Cylinder copper crush gasket Reply with quote

Hi, You got the message Smile They go between the head and cilinder as mentioned in the post just below my first comment... I hope I did not kick that hard Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
txoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 4:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Cylinder copper crush gasket Reply with quote

Hold on...do you plan on running the heater? Using j-pipes in lieu of the heater boxes?

The copper gaskets were installed to ensure exhaust gasses would not enter the cab from the heater.

They are not installed to "seal" the combustion chamber...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 7:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Cylinder copper crush gasket Reply with quote

txoval wrote:
Hold on...do you plan on running the heater? Using j-pipes in lieu of the heater boxes?

The copper gaskets were installed to ensure exhaust gasses would not enter the cab from the heater.

They are not installed to "seal" the combustion chamber...

I can appreciate what you said, those gaskets seem to be a non-fresh air heater system thing, but..
isn't keeping exhaust gasses from entering the cab from the top of the cylinders part of sealing the combustion chamber?
txoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 4:23 am    Post subject: Re: Cylinder copper crush gasket Reply with quote

My opinion only...they were "belt and suspenders"

If exhaust gases are escaping between the combustion chamber and cylinder, you have an issue. Warped head, mating service between head and cylinder is not even due to uneven deck height, etc

My engine falls into the Vintage Speed category; fly cut heads, higher compression, performance exhaust, etc...no heater

Myself and several others with this type of engine do not use the copper rings.

Obviously they do not hurt anything, but if you build the engine properly and do not intend on using the "stale air" heater, they are not necessary. There's a reason the fresh air engines did not use them...

36hp heads had different castings over the years to fix the issue with exhaust ports cracking. If you have earlier heads (I can't remember the exact year where the webbing changed) be sure to check you exhaust ports before rebuilding them. There's a good chance the exhaust ports are cracked.

Last edited by txoval on Wed Aug 24, 2016 5:31 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
3foldfolly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 5:10 am    Post subject: Re: Cylinder copper crush gasket Reply with quote

The seam on the copper rings faces the cylinder head when installed.
txoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 5:28 am    Post subject: Re: Cylinder copper crush gasket Reply with quote

Good point, if you do install them follow what 3fold said

3foldfolly wrote:
The seam on the copper rings faces the cylinder head when installed.
747frieghtdog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 9:04 am    Post subject: Re: Cylinder copper crush gasket Reply with quote

A friend who was trained factory installer way back said that these copper gaskets were only installed because of legalities and done as a feel good measure and they are not needed.

Dont sweat it.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: