Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What the Road Tells Me - cross country drive!
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 21, 22, 23 ... 45, 46, 47  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
blue72beetle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 3:50 pm    Post subject: Re: What the Road Tells Me - cross country drive! Reply with quote

Have you seen some of the crap out there that's still going? I'm gonna guess it never breaks.
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 3:52 pm    Post subject: Re: What the Road Tells Me - cross country drive! Reply with quote

chabanais wrote:
What is the logic of not replacing that fan belt?

It's looked like that for eight thousand miles. (Potentially more; I just might have missed it.)

It's like a transaxle that howls: the howl isn't as important as a change in howl is. My last transaxle went 46,000 miles with a howl before the sound changed and I lost fourth gear. Think my belt will go that long?? Wink

Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Hikelite
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 3:54 pm    Post subject: Re: What the Road Tells Me - cross country drive! Reply with quote

You have a spare, right?

I vote keep going. Twisted Evil

My 1968 Campmobile
chabanais
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 3:55 pm    Post subject: Re: What the Road Tells Me - cross country drive! Reply with quote

If you have a replacement, just seems dumb not to change it.
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 3:58 pm    Post subject: Re: What the Road Tells Me - cross country drive! Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
Quote:
Yes, like waxing my shocks up on the lift.

Robbie - are you obsessive compulsive? I should have suspected it when you spoke of spending hours whittling Oboe reeds. If I hit a nerve teasing it wasn't intentional but really, you have to stop waxing your shocks while on cross country trips. You haven't even gotten into the bad weather yet. Wait until you pull onto a white clay and limestone dirt road in the rain.

In his defense, it's easier to clean the clay off a freshly waxed surface.
White clay, interesting, we have red clay. Once that dries or is cooked onto a surface, it's never coming off. Whatever it's on is now a weird orange color.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 4:41 pm    Post subject: Re: What the Road Tells Me - cross country drive! Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
cdennisg wrote:
When that belt finally breaks, I dare you to replace it with an old pair of ladies nylons.

At least he didn't say a pair of old ladies nylons. But hey, they need lovin too.

Trust me, the semantics were carefully built into that statement.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 4:59 pm    Post subject: Re: What the Road Tells Me - cross country drive! Reply with quote

nothing bad ever happens when an old fan belt rolls, flies off the generator, grabs something while the lower end ties itself around the crank pulley. Right? I mean nothing like that has ever happened has it? They always come off cleanly when they do fail - right?

[email protected] wrote:
well i own a 70 panel bus ... i was 2 miles from my house when my fan belt broke i heard it i knew what it was so i said its just the fan belt ... i stood out side the van with the fire men putting the fire out come to find out the fanbelt broke grabbed the heater hose it unravled an was drug into my generator causing the fire

Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 9:00 am    Post subject: Re: What the Road Tells Me - cross country drive! Reply with quote

Damn, I'm gone for a week and miss all the good stuff. Just so everyone knows, Robbie's spare belt is what's turning my fan right now. That belt will be fine, probably until Oklahoma.

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
williamM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 9:34 am    Post subject: Re: What the Road Tells Me - cross country drive! Reply with quote

Embarassed Embarassed Start a "fund me " account so he can get a fan guard for that belt.

opinion untempered by fact is ignorance.

Don't step in any!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 9:41 am    Post subject: Re: What the Road Tells Me - cross country drive! Reply with quote

williamM wrote:
Embarassed Embarassed Start a "fund me " account so he can get a fan guard for that belt.

No need. I called him out on that when he was at my place. Said he prefers bareback over protection Very Happy

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 3:28 pm    Post subject: Re: What the Road Tells Me - cross country drive! Reply with quote

Tcash wrote:
I noticed you moved your toolbox from behind the passengers seat. May I ask what made you decide to do that?

Wait! I found it! I actually did have the box behind the passenger seat for ONE drive! And I have a picture of it!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

That was only for the Pomona Swap Meet so I could get all my crap inside the bus! I was going to leave the box behind if it didn't fit, so it was loaded in at the very end.

---

So, uhhh 21,000 miles on these cylinder heads that I pulled out of a crate of used parts @ Interstate… Not too shabby:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I guess 6,000 miles without touching anything in a valve adjustment is a good sign.

Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 6:19 pm    Post subject: Re: What the Road Tells Me - cross country drive! Reply with quote

I've eaten food off dirtier things than those heads....
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 6:46 pm    Post subject: Re: What the Road Tells Me - cross country drive! Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
I've eaten food off dirtier things than those heads....

With this engine of mine, I'm quickly amassing a good pictorial of good ways to inform potential bus buyers of lying sellers. "Rebuilt engine!" Easy- pop the valve covers. This engine has no oil filter, no external cooling, and pushes my bus around all day. So if the car for sale doesn't look like that fresh off a "rebuild," well, you know……

Robbie
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 7:44 pm    Post subject: Re: What the Road Tells Me - cross country drive! Reply with quote

You arriving East into some beautiful late summer weather of 60-80 low humidity ...well done there.....
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 9:21 pm    Post subject: Re: What the Road Tells Me - cross country drive! Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
You arriving East into some beautiful late summer weather of 60-80 low humidity ...well done there.....

After an appointment to help a fellow out in Ft. Wayne, Indiana, I'll be headed to Pittsburg, DC, New York, then on towards Maine for an extended family gathering. Hopefully you folks will have another longer fall season this year. Palm trees don't change color, you know, so I'd love to see some deciduousness.

Robbie
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 9:34 pm    Post subject: Re: What the Road Tells Me - cross country drive! Reply with quote

deciduousness.

I understand that it's common to use
prophylactics Against that
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 12:28 am    Post subject: Re: What the Road Tells Me - cross country drive! Reply with quote

Did you finish the idle pictures?

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 10:04 am    Post subject: Re: What the Road Tells Me - cross country drive! Reply with quote

Brian wrote:
Did you finish the idle pictures?

I have two posted, one on my laptop that I can't upload until I figure out (change) the wifi password at Kate's place, and two more ideas in the works. Skills doesn't know it yet, but he's going to be in one.

When are you going to be posting YOUR trip pics?

Robbie
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 12:12 pm    Post subject: Re: What the Road Tells Me - cross country drive! Reply with quote

After I finish my nap

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 4:02 pm    Post subject: Re: What the Road Tells Me - cross country drive! Reply with quote

Brian wrote:
After I finish my nap

Damn son; you nap a while.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 21, 22, 23 ... 45, 46, 47  Next
Jump to:
Page 22 of 47

Jump to: