Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

78 FI running hot / Dipstick Temp Sensor?
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
airkooledchris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 10:36 pm    Post subject: Re: 78 FI running hot / Dipstick Temp Sensor? Reply with quote

Those dipstick warning lights do work to keep your foot off the gas though.

There's something nice about not knowing what the temp is, just that you need to get off the gas and slow down anytime the light turns on. I ran one in a bus of mine years and years ago and im sure it's why I was able to put so many miles on it in such a short period of time. Im fairly sure it came on well before it was hitting 425* at the heads, but I just happily puttered along at 55-60 everywhere I went and was happy to never break down anywhere along my trips (outside of a few simple points replacements.)
Togz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 7:12 pm    Post subject: Re: 78 FI running hot / Dipstick Temp Sensor? Reply with quote

Good advice all around. Thanks gang! Waiting on flashing foil to show up to lock down all the small gaps on the engine bay. Another thing I hadn't gotten around to was installing the new engine hatch door seal which I can imagine was also not helping matters. Issue is that I had got the 4 piece off of bus depot that is too bulky to let the door shut. I'm going to have to reorder the one piece that is more recommended. For the time being, is it okay to drive without the seal?
aerosurfer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 7:40 pm    Post subject: Re: 78 FI running hot / Dipstick Temp Sensor? Reply with quote

Yes, while its all cumulative, really no one single missing piece is going to break your engine. The lid seal is probably the least of your worries. It's more of an assurance that you are not sucking back in tail pipe fumes through the heat ducts than, an issue with hot air getting into the motor. Fix is as time allows, but don't sweat it until then

77 Westy 2.0L Rockin and Rolling Resto!

72 Sportsmobile (sold)
79 Tran$porter... Parts car money machine (gone)
a-marshal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 7:03 am    Post subject: Re: 78 FI running hot / Dipstick Temp Sensor? Reply with quote

FWIW the web site at save my bug (makers of the thing) states that the "butterfly push-on connector`allows you to keep the pressure sensor functionality and add the heat sensor.

http://www.savemybug.com/type4.htm
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Togz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 10:23 am    Post subject: Re: 78 FI running hot / Dipstick Temp Sensor? Reply with quote

wow that's a game changer. How can you tell the difference between the two different dilemma's (pressure or temp) if it essentially utilizes the same signal?
a-marshal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 11:28 am    Post subject: Re: 78 FI running hot / Dipstick Temp Sensor? Reply with quote

Togz wrote:
wow that's a game changer. How can you tell the difference between the two different dilemma's (pressure or temp) if it essentially utilizes the same signal?

As I understand it if you are having a temperature issue the light will flicker for a while before it goes solid. An oil pressure problem will show up first at lower revs. So if the light ever flickers, back out of the throttle, if it immediately turns solid it is a pressure issue.

In either case though when you see the oil pressure light come on you should be looking to find a safe place to stop...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Togz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 12:52 pm    Post subject: Re: 78 FI running hot / Dipstick Temp Sensor? Reply with quote

Shit, so I got the actual temp activated dip stick. Easy enough to install except now I know it runs hot as it doesnt take much more than driving 30 minutes down hill or 20 minutes up hill (I live kind of on a grade) to activate it. So it is running hot. I wouldn't say it gets insanely damagingly hot (at least not in the hour or so intervals I've run it) but it is hotter than feels good with. I now see the total importance of installing VDO gauges for both pressure and temp but will probably be on the winter list of mods. I think I'll adjust the valves next and switch out the oil. I had a mechanic do the oil at the start of the year, I found the receipt and it was standard 10w 30 so I think that getting 15w40 Rotella synthetic would help?

any other advice? I get a mixed bag of people that say there isnt anything really wrong with it, its just that the 220/230 range is a little idealistic and that it will run hotter than that in the summer but as long as it doesnt flirt with 300, its liveable. I dont want to ignore a bigger issue but also dont want to pull it out of the rotation entirely until the end of the season if I can help it.

Thanks for the help. Oh and by the way, because of the meat thermometer I now can actually cook pork chops!
vwible
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 1:10 pm    Post subject: Re: 78 FI running hot / Dipstick Temp Sensor? Reply with quote

What kind of oil are you running?
If you're running 20-50, try dropping back to 10-30 or 10-40.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 1:11 pm    Post subject: Re: 78 FI running hot / Dipstick Temp Sensor? Reply with quote

Use an IR gun on the block a minute or so after shutdown and see what it reads.

FWIW, my testing showed that a straight 30wt ran cooler than any other oil I tested, so I have gone back to running 30wt (Cenex Superlube) in my VW Thing for now. On the drive home from town with a 800' vertical climb I just see oil temps in the 160*F range.
Togz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 1:17 pm    Post subject: Re: 78 FI running hot / Dipstick Temp Sensor? Reply with quote

so wait straight weight 30 or 10w30/40 runs much cooler than 20w50 or 15w40?

I originally asked for 20w50 because that seemed to be what everyone recommended but the receipt or invoice shows 10w30 - which may have been because the shop doesnt do that much of it, might not have been a choice in the system for that?

In short, if I think it is running hot - what is the best oil to use?

Also, I dont have an IR gun but I do have again my meat thermo - can I just touch the probe to the top of the block to get an idea there. If I do, what temp is like cool vs "ohhhh fuck"?

Thanks alot guys!
Togz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 4:23 pm    Post subject: Re: 78 FI running hot / Dipstick Temp Sensor? Reply with quote

You think after wading through that Moby Dick sized oil thread I would picked something up but I thought the higher the weight number (or post w number)/, the cooler it would run? And that using synthetic was clutch because it has a higher failure temp than dino oil. Not trying to reinvent the wheel on that thread but if one were to be work an already hot engine, its worth trading into the 15 w 45 for sae30?
Togz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 4:31 pm    Post subject: Re: 78 FI running hot / Dipstick Temp Sensor? Reply with quote

You think after wading through that Moby Dick sized oil thread I would picked something up but I thought the higher the weight number (or post w number)/, the cooler it would run? And that using synthetic was clutch because it has a higher failure temp than dino oil. Not trying to reinvent the wheel on that thread but if one were to be work an already hot engine, its worth trading into the 15 w 45 for sae30?
Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 4:35 pm    Post subject: Re: 78 FI running hot / Dipstick Temp Sensor? Reply with quote

The short answer is that a VW thinks that thick oil is cold oil and by passes the oil cooler.

Thin is in. I like a nice thin synthetic like 15-50 Mobil 1 or 10-30 dino oil or something.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 4:49 pm    Post subject: Re: 78 FI running hot / Dipstick Temp Sensor? Reply with quote

Yep, good quality oil of the thinnest viscosity that keeps the oil light from coming on steady when idling after a freeway run is your best choice, especially if you have hydro lifters.
Thick oil runs hotter in a VW, that goes against how most other engines behave but it's the way thier simple oiling system works and when the cooler comes into play.

As for oil temps 250 is about the maximum you want to see for extended periods, higher than that and the oil starts to lose it's mojo.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 8:05 pm    Post subject: Re: 78 FI running hot / Dipstick Temp Sensor? Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
Yep, good quality oil of the thinnest viscosity that keeps the oil light from coming on steady when idling after a freeway run is your best choice, especially if you have hydro lifters.
Thick oil runs hotter in a VW, that goes against how most other engines behave but it's the way thier simple oiling system works and when the cooler comes into play.

As for oil temps 250 is about the maximum you want to see for extended periods, higher than that and the oil starts to lose it's mojo.

2x, I pretty much agree with this word for word, plus will add that a straight weight oil today is not your grandpa's oil. Many of today's straight weight oils have high viscosity indexes without needing to have viscosity modifiers added to get it and thus can handle heat better than a standard multigrade oil. Kind of like a low cost alternative to synthetic oils.

My Thing seems to thrive on straight 30wt while the worn out 1800 T4 in my Transporter wants something thicker so is getting 15w50 synthetic at this point in time. The Transporter runs at around 220°F on long highway runs at 70 mph.

YMMV
Gib_Gas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 9:46 am    Post subject: Re: 78 FI running hot / Dipstick Temp Sensor? Reply with quote

Also with 20w50 in there you wont be able to crank the engine well in the winter.
Togz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 10:22 am    Post subject: Re: 78 FI running hot / Dipstick Temp Sensor? Reply with quote

Ok, so I went with the straight 30. The reaction from the lady at the store when I exchanged the Rotella 15-40 for it was noteworthy... "so you are going from a diesel oil to thiiiis?, I will never get you Volkswagen people..."

Ha. Once I run it for a bit I will report back.
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 10:26 am    Post subject: Re: 78 FI running hot / Dipstick Temp Sensor? Reply with quote

Togz wrote:
Ok, so I went with the straight 30. The reaction from the lady at the store when I exchanged the Rotella 15-40 for it was noteworthy... "so you are going from a diesel oil to thiiiis?, I will never get you Volkswagen people..."

Ha! That's great.

While I mostly agree with the sentiments above, I will say that every engine I've worked on is different in how it handles the same oil. My mom's 1600 single port cooks and oil 10w40 or heavier. Like, 240* after a mild drive and oil light flickering at idle. 0w30 or 10w30 give around 210* oil after a long drive with no oil light ever. My bus 1600 doesn't seem to give a crap. 10w30 and 20w50 both sit around 210*-220* on the freeway, with pressures being vastly different.

So find out what your engine likes and stick with it. Your crankcase hygiene won't mind a few extra oil changes until you get there. Very Happy

Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 11:30 am    Post subject: Re: 78 FI running hot / Dipstick Temp Sensor? Reply with quote

Togz wrote:

Ha. Once I run it for a bit I will report back.

Let us know how it works out. Wink
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: