Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1959 Beetle "Petunia"
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
grandpa pete
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 3:45 pm    Post subject: Re: 1959 Beetle "Petunia" Reply with quote

There are several detailed threads on step by step steering box rebuilds .

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=569619&highlight=sedan+delivery
raycer60
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 8:51 am    Post subject: Re: 1959 Beetle "Petunia" Reply with quote

I have been looking for a reason to put together my sand blasting cabinet from HF. No excuses now! Have to clean my steering box so I can do the rebuild. Found the 2 seals it needs in thesamba. Oldveedubs Ryan has an ad. Good guy to deal with! 2nd purchase from him in the past week.
I will post the part numbers for the seals and hopefully the process of rebuilding the box.
Once I can steer, I will tow my pan to carwash to be power washed.
Joseph DR
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 9:18 am    Post subject: Re: 1959 Beetle "Petunia" Reply with quote

raycer60 wrote:
I have been looking for a reason to put together my sand blasting cabinet from HF. No excuses now! Have to clean my steering box so I can do the rebuild. Found the 2 seals it needs in thesamba. Oldveedubs Ryan has an ad. Good guy to deal with! 2nd purchase from him in the past week.
I will post the part numbers for the seals and hopefully the process of rebuilding the box.

Be sure to caulk the seams, joints and whatnot with window sealant when you put together your blasting cabinet. Otherwise you'll get media leaking from everywhere. Happened to my brother's HF cabinet.
grandpa pete
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 9:26 am    Post subject: Re: 1959 Beetle "Petunia" Reply with quote

raycer60 wrote:

use the least obvious washing bay ; car wash owners don't like all that grease in their systems .

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=569619&highlight=sedan+delivery
raycer60
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 10:43 am    Post subject: Re: 1959 Beetle "Petunia" Reply with quote

Joseph DR wrote:
Be sure to caulk the seams, joints and whatnot with window sealant when you put together your blasting cabinet. Otherwise you'll get media leaking from everywhere. Happened to my brother's HF cabinet.

Ah, great advice. I will do!

And GP...I will do that too.
raycer60
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 8:10 am    Post subject: Re: 1959 Beetle "Petunia" Reply with quote

I know there are probably a few "how to rebuild your early bug steering box" threads but I have spent time searching and can't find a detailed one yet until now: http://www.kustomcoachwerks.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=5530
I have been putting together my new blasting cabinet and is almost ready for it's first task: steering box cleanup.
raycer60
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 8:20 am    Post subject: Re: 1959 Beetle "Petunia" Reply with quote

I've been busy finishing "other" projects and managed to get to my 59 again! The blast cabinet has been ready for a while and have yet to be tested by cleaning up my steering box. It just happens that early this year while bringing out my pan to get things going I had this idea of building a lift so the car would not sit on it's tires while spending most of it's life stored. Not trying to re-invent the wheel, but wanting to make/design something that would entertain and get my old man's bearings to spin and keep him occupied. He is a retired PHD civil engineer and loves challenges. Gave him some idea of what I had in mind and he came back with plans and calculations of what his take was on how this lift had to be built. I am by far a welder but do own a small HOBART 140 MIG machine that I wanted to use in this project. It was a blast to see how my Dad got into it and to feel his excitement while discussing this project is priceless to me. I am going to share a few pictures of the process and what the end product is looking like.

The basic concept:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Materials and cutting/drilling of parts:

Test fitting the components and making sure it works as intended:

Joining the 2 sides:

Once we had the 2 sides joined and working together, it was time to fabricate the lifting mechanism:

First test:

Time to finish welding and add some structural pieces:

Painting and putting together the parts:

Cleared space in the garage and first test with pan:

Calling this project DONE!! Thank you Dad for all the input and wisdom.
I can now get started with my build... FOR REAL!!
flyboy161
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 10:00 am    Post subject: Re: 1959 Beetle "Petunia" Reply with quote

That is brilliant! Good job to both of you!

The 1964...Diamond in the rough
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=612776

My 1958 Morocco Bug-
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=611483
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mr. Mike Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 10:08 am    Post subject: Re: 1959 Beetle "Petunia" Reply with quote

Wow, what a great project! Nice work!!
tisius
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 1:55 am    Post subject: Re: 1959 Beetle "Petunia" Reply with quote

really nice lift, well built .... but I'm just a tiny bit curious: why could you not lift such a relatively modest height by using a floor jack and then putting the car on jack stands? In other words: what is the benefit of having that lift?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
raycer60
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 6:59 am    Post subject: Re: 1959 Beetle "Petunia" Reply with quote

Thank you flyboy161 and Mr. Mike. I enjoy as much time as I can with my old man for as long as I have him. And I got allot of welding hours too! which I hope will help in my next build phase.

tisius wrote:
really nice lift, well built .... but I'm just a tiny bit curious: why could you not lift such a relatively modest height by using a floor jack and then putting the car on jack stands? In other words: what is the benefit of having that lift?

I need my jack stands for... nah! Laughing The real answer is 3 posts up^^^
The challenge, the learning how to weld, the camaraderie with my dad, the... bunch of other things which become a benefit/satisfaction for me and no one else. Why buy a bug in pieces and not a driver? Too many answers and what is valid for me might not be for you or anyone else.
I can say that with a few pumps to the bottle jack the car is up in the air and no need for jack stands. Quicker/less effort than your suggestion? Better?: Not necessarily. Does anyone else need this?: Probably not. For me: Challenge and Satisfaction!
There are plenty of lifts out in the market I know, and probably do a better job, but... Challenge and Satisfaction.
Thanks for your comments -tisius-. I like to hear from all.
raycer60
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 7:16 am    Post subject: Re: 1959 Beetle "Petunia" Reply with quote

Need to refurbish the steering box first so I can steer. It has no movement at the moment. I will clean the outside, tear it apart, clean the inside and inspect and hopefully just have to replace the 2 seals and fill up with fresh fluid.

little dry on the inside? that explains why it "froze"!

and my parts wash container Laughing

I will finish cleaning and then put it all back together. Hope it works!
TinCanFab
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 6:17 am    Post subject: Re: 1959 Beetle "Petunia" Reply with quote

I just did my box and have to recommend using the John Deere Corn Head grease instead of gear oil. It's about $4 a tube available at any dealer that does Ag equipment. It is like caramel in consistancy instead of thick like other grease. I see why everyone raves about the stuff, it steers better than ever!

They're never really ever finished 58 rag build...
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=658092
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
raycer60
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 7:01 am    Post subject: Re: 1959 Beetle "Petunia" Reply with quote

roachdub58 wrote:
I just did my box and have to recommend using the John Deere Corn Head grease instead of gear oil. It's about $4 a tube available at any dealer that does Ag equipment. It is like caramel in consistancy instead of thick like other grease. I see why everyone raves about the stuff, it steers better than ever!

Great! I was about to use gear oil but I will stop at the JD dealer and try the corn head grease. Can't beat 4 bucks!
raycer60
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 11:21 am    Post subject: Re: 1959 Beetle "Petunia" Reply with quote

This morning went and got the corn head grease as recommended above. Got home and started cleaning my parts that had been soaking in mineral spirits. Got everything clean and ready for reassemble but came across what I believe is an old problem. The inside of the box cover has pitting and one of the bolt holes has part of the wall missing and it probably leaks from there. I can see that this box has been repaired or refurbished before because it has rubber seals and not originals.
Anyone have a way to repair this pitting? Can JB Weld work and last? I can JB Weld all pitting and then file flat the part where it seals against the box body but I don't know if it will last. Hard to find a used replacement cover and when available most are asking close to what a new TRW box will cost.

This is what I got:

Sharp64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 11:55 am    Post subject: Re: 1959 Beetle "Petunia" Reply with quote

I would think JB Weld or Lab Metal would do the job as long as you let it cure fully. I also typed in "VW steering box cover" and some billet ones popped up. Alternatively, try to check the classifieds for someone parting out a similiar year? Swap meet?
raycer60
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 12:17 pm    Post subject: Re: 1959 Beetle "Petunia" Reply with quote

Sharp64 wrote:
I would think JB Weld or Lab Metal would do the job as long as you let it cure fully. I also typed in "VW steering box cover" and some billet ones popped up. Alternatively, try to check the classifieds for someone parting out a similiar year? Swap meet?

I did my search before posting my question. The billet does not look like it works with my early box and the one in the classifieds is close to the price of a new one. Swap meet is a long term solution and I am waiting to fix this so I can continue with my build. Thank you for posting.

I might try the aluminum brazing rod method.
TinCanFab
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 4:42 pm    Post subject: Re: 1959 Beetle "Petunia" Reply with quote

I had a few deep pits in my box cover, just filled with JB. As long as the bolt holes aren't affected it should be OK.

They're never really ever finished 58 rag build...
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=658092
raycer60
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 7:18 am    Post subject: Re: 1959 Beetle "Petunia" Reply with quote

I finished cleaning the steering box and put it all back together with new seals and used corn head grease.

I thought I would replace the damaged top cover as soon as I could come across a better one. Everything seem to work well but I can feel that the bearings on the worm shaft are not turning smooth. I don't know if I could get the replacement bearings that easy so I just went ahead and ordered a new trw box. I will look for the bearings and top cover and refinish that box at a later time.
Now to power washing the pan so I can put some paint on it.
raycer60
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 12:23 pm    Post subject: Re: 1959 Beetle "Petunia" Reply with quote

I did go and powerwash the pan and decided there were a few spots I wanted to make better. There is a battery pan replacement done by PO and then the points where the body attaches to the pan at the sides of the firewall/napoleon hat were showing some rust.

So I started by replacing the battery tray.

and then flipped the pan and continued working on the underside

welded my patches, did some seam sealer, paint primer and then sprayed some undercoating

Now I need to flip the pan so I can continue finishing my patches and then finish up that side with a coat of POR-15.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: