Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Help with how to price my '71 Super Beetle with fire damage.
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
curiousmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 3:23 pm    Post subject: Help with how to price my '71 Super Beetle with fire damage. Reply with quote

I'm attempting to help my wife sell her car.
I'm not a car guy; she's not a car person.
My father who did the work on on the car is in poor health and can't help.

I've listed the car here with a complete guess at price which I imagine is either off, way off, or laughably wrong.

Do you have any suggestions on either how to create a fair price, or (allowing for my lack of skills) help give a fuller representation of the car?

The details on the car are posted here:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1962985
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 4:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Help with how to price my '71 Super Beetle with fire damage. Reply with quote

Sorry for your loss and overall tough situation, but it's overpriced. Besides the engine, paint and interior damage, the engine segment of the wiring harness is shot. I hate to be a downer but I dont see you getting more than 2-2.5k.

'74 Super 9/16 - present, in refurb process.
'73 Super - 6/18 - Present - Daily Driver!
'75 Super Le Grande...waiting it's turn in line behind '74.
Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
zoobyshoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 6:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Help with how to price my '71 Super Beetle with fire damage. Reply with quote

People mostly sell cars on craigslist nowadays. Check what Beetles are going for near you.

Here is a string to enter that should get you all possible listings, including misspelled ones:

Beetle|bug|vw|Volkswagen|Volkswagan|Volkswagon|Beatle|VW|bettle|super

I watch the local listings here regularly. In general, running and registered is always worth more than not running, even if the not-running ones look better. If people can't test drive it, there's no telling what might be wrong, see.
Cali_Army_Guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 6:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Help with how to price my '71 Super Beetle with fire damage. Reply with quote

I'd start at $1500. Your in Cali. Bugs are everywhere out here. It needs paint, headliner, rear glass, all new engine bolt ons and if the case was melted or warped then there's that added to the list as well.

Not trying to be a dick, but you can buy nice running non supers out here all day long for $4500.
Cali_Army_Guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 6:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Help with how to price my '71 Super Beetle with fire damage. Reply with quote

Just to give you an idea

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/cto/5700365816.html

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/cto/5748894620.html

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/pen/cto/5731528802.html

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/cto/5731521437.html

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/scz/cto/5689055371.html

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/cto/5750075034.html

I could post 100 more, but you get the idea
iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 7:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Help with how to price my '71 Super Beetle with fire damage. Reply with quote

What a shame. Crying or Very sad

(I hope this is a reminder to folks to keep collector's insurance on cars that are not being driven)
Cali_Army_Guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 8:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Help with how to price my '71 Super Beetle with fire damage. Reply with quote

iowegian wrote:
What a shame. Crying or Very sad

I agree. Shitty situation for sure.
curiousmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 8:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Help with how to price my '71 Super Beetle with fire damage. Reply with quote

Thanks for all the suggestions.

I literally had no starting point for the price, so I looked on CL/eBay and here to try to get an idea of what a running car went for and undercut it.

I don't pretend to know what invisible damage the fire did.

This is helping to adjust our price and expectations accordingly.
Cali_Army_Guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 9:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Help with how to price my '71 Super Beetle with fire damage. Reply with quote

If you want to keep it and put it back together I have all the stuff I pulled of my 1600 if you want it all.
Mos6502
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 3:45 am    Post subject: Re: Help with how to price my '71 Super Beetle with fire damage. Reply with quote

This is a situation where it would probably be wiser to fix it before selling.
iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 5:08 am    Post subject: Re: Help with how to price my '71 Super Beetle with fire damage. Reply with quote

Mos6502 wrote:
This is a situation where it would probably be wiser to fix it before selling.

At least get it running/driving.
adam78
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 6:23 am    Post subject: Re: Help with how to price my '71 Super Beetle with fire damage. Reply with quote

A rust free bug, even a burnt out one would do well over here on the East Coast and you could probably get 3500 for it if that's the only damage. But in Cali where bugs are plentiful in good shape, I would probably list it at $1500. If you can get it fixed up I would do that. It should pay out in the end and increase the value more than the cost of the repair.
Frodge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 6:30 am    Post subject: Re: Help with how to price my '71 Super Beetle with fire damage. Reply with quote

I would fix it. I would also run the fuel filter by the trans instead of the engine bay.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
johneliot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 2:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Help with how to price my '71 Super Beetle with fire damage. Reply with quote

Out of curiostiy, how long was it from the time you started the car until you smelled/saw the fire?

There is no distinctly American criminal class - except Congress.
Mark Twain

69 bug - "The Grey Ghost"
curiousmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 12:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Help with how to price my '71 Super Beetle with fire damage. Reply with quote

johneliot wrote:
Out of curiostiy, how long was it from the time you started the car until you smelled/saw the fire?

My guess is about a minute - I let it warm up for a bit before putting it in gear and finding which side the ebrake seemed to be stuck on.

Maybe 2 minutes?
johneliot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 2:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Help with how to price my '71 Super Beetle with fire damage. Reply with quote

After one minute or even two, I doubt the heat of any part of the engine caused the fire. There must have been some spark/short that ignited the fuel.

I guess the question is, how much are going to be wiiing to take for the car? Once you figure that out, selling the car will happen quick. You have/had a nice car. Someone at the right price will be willing to take it on. Good luck!

There is no distinctly American criminal class - except Congress.
Mark Twain

69 bug - "The Grey Ghost"
Bob Brugge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 5:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Help with how to price my '71 Super Beetle with fire damage. Reply with quote

Fix it and keep it. Yes it s a kick in the nuts, but the car isn't toast by any means. Just needs a lil more lovin' than normal.
Alternatively, you could send me the visors, inside and out and then sell it. Call it the price of advice...
curiousmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 5:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Help with how to price my '71 Super Beetle with fire damage. Reply with quote

Bob Brugge wrote:
Fix it

I've seen this advice repeated - I'm not a car guy and my father is incapable of doing the work anymore.

This is purely going to be an as-is sale.

I've made an adjustment to the price - i'll wait it out and adjust as time dictates.
Cali_Army_Guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 5:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Help with how to price my '71 Super Beetle with fire damage. Reply with quote

curiousmike wrote:
Bob Brugge wrote:
Fix it

I've seen this advice repeated - I'm not a car guy and my father is incapable of doing the work anymore.

This is purely going to be an as-is sale.

I've made an adjustment to the price - i'll wait it out and adjust as time dictates.

Fair enough. Most of us just hate to see someone give up. It really is just some wiring and bolt on stuff. Could probably get it running in a day easily.
rockerarm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 1:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Help with how to price my '71 Super Beetle with fire damage. Reply with quote

Hello and WELCOME.
C_A_G nailed it with good advice. Parts for the later type 1 bugs are still plentiful and affordable. Why not see if there are any air-cooled clubs near you that have a technical Saturday and could work with your goals. As a incentive any profit could be donated toward the clubs interest. Was there insurance to cover this? How about local community college that has a body/paint program?
Realize that this car, being non-running, with the fire damage would be an insurance total loss. That's the nature of the beast with labor costs being high, plus other factors. A running/drivable car will always command more money.
Hope this helps, Bill.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: