Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

i have multiple push rod failures on my 1745. any thoughts?
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
costonjs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 4:18 pm    Post subject: i have multiple push rod failures on my 1745. any thoughts? Reply with quote

a couple of pictures for you. cranked the car up a couple of days after it had been running fine. this is what i found. pushrod tubes are bent and leaking. at least one pushrod is bent. i haven't opened up the passenger side valve train up yet. i'm pretty sure i have at least one bent pushrod on that side too.

update:
general consensus is sabotage
if curious, this is the pushrod i'm using
http://www.cbperformance.com/product-p/1619.htm

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Last edited by costonjs on Fri Sep 02, 2016 4:22 pm; edited 3 times in total
Bob Brugge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 5:05 pm    Post subject: Re: i have multiple push rod failures on my 1745. any thoughts? Reply with quote

Sabotae!!
pwmcguire
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 5:09 pm    Post subject: Re: i have multiple push rod failures on my 1745. any thoughts? Reply with quote

Someone doesn't like you! Shocked
johnnypan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 5:12 pm    Post subject: Re: i have multiple push rod failures on my 1745. any thoughts? Reply with quote

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gMJIRTCK--I
johnnypan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 5:18 pm    Post subject: Re: i have multiple push rod failures on my 1745. any thoughts? Reply with quote

Whenever encountered with this type of behavior its important to reflect on your own actions,often you'll find the reason lies in the mirror.
a.wilson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 5:19 pm    Post subject: Re: i have multiple push rod failures on my 1745. any thoughts? Reply with quote

Time to install a few dozen hidden cameras. Pointing from many angles.

oemwolf
cbeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 5:43 pm    Post subject: Re: i have multiple push rod failures on my 1745. any thoughts? Reply with quote

sticky valves? sticky rockers? excessive play/lash? too hot a cam on too weak of a spring?
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 5:58 pm    Post subject: Re: i have multiple push rod failures on my 1745. any thoughts? Reply with quote

It looks like tow hook damage. Either it was recently towed & the operator hooked to the wrong thing or somebody tried to steal it by hooking tow hooks to anything not realizing that they weren't substantial & bolted because of the amount of noise the chains made when they let loose.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
johnnypan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 6:15 pm    Post subject: Re: i have multiple push rod failures on my 1745. any thoughts? Reply with quote

a.wilson wrote:

Hey Andy
Cali_Army_Guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 6:23 pm    Post subject: Re: i have multiple push rod failures on my 1745. any thoughts? Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
It looks like tow hook damage. Either it was recently towed & the operator hooked to the wrong thing or somebody tried to steal it by hooking tow hooks to anything not realizing that they weren't substantial & bolted because of the amount of noise the chains made when they let loose.

This
costonjs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 7:03 pm    Post subject: Re: i have multiple push rod failures on my 1745. any thoughts? Reply with quote

a.wilson wrote:
yes, good idea. not just for vandals but people who let their dogs poop in my yard.
costonjs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 7:06 pm    Post subject: Re: i have multiple push rod failures on my 1745. any thoughts? Reply with quote

cbeck wrote:
sticky valves? sticky rockers? excessive play/lash? too hot a cam on too weak of a spring?
it went to bed one day working fine and then it woke up busted. should a pushrod fail for some reason, does the busted tube look like my tube? i will open up the valve covers, of course, and pull the push rods. take photos and post back here for more comments. thanks
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 7:17 pm    Post subject: Re: i have multiple push rod failures on my 1745. any thoughts? Reply with quote

If you drove & parked the car in that spot, then someone tried to steal that car!!! That was not caused by ANYTHING failing in the engine. That is damage caused by something hooked onto the tubes & pulling against the weight of the car.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
awreed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 7:39 pm    Post subject: Re: i have multiple push rod failures on my 1745. any thoughts? Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:

I can't imagine someone using the pushrod tubes to tow a car. Does that level of stupid even exist?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
costonjs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 8:22 pm    Post subject: Re: i have multiple push rod failures on my 1745. any thoughts? Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
If you drove & parked the car in that spot, then someone tried to steal that car!!! That was not caused by ANYTHING failing in the engine. That is damage caused by something hooked onto the tubes & pulling against the weight of the car.
the car was in the garage with a 74 beetle blocking it at the driveway end and prius in the garage on the other side. oh, and blocking the 74 in the driveway is an aerio. either someone simply f'd with the 73 or the engine experienced some sort of mechanical meltdown. i agree with your assessment. nothing failed in the engine.
Fiatdude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 8:58 pm    Post subject: Re: i have multiple push rod failures on my 1745. any thoughts? Reply with quote

The only way the push rod tubes would like that was if the piston tried to go thru them --

Get you some new push rods and some collapsible push rod tubes and you won't even have to pull the heads
costonjs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 9:14 pm    Post subject: Re: i have multiple push rod failures on my 1745. any thoughts? Reply with quote

Fiatdude wrote:
The only way the push rod tubes would like that was if the piston tried to go thru them
pretty much what i was thinking
Fiatdude wrote:
--Get you some new push rods and some collapsible push rod tubes and you won't even have to pull the heads
not looking forward to collapsible push rod tube leaks. not looking forward to pulling heads either. my push rods are a custom length. they will be a pain to replace. not pricey, just a pain.
Bashr52
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 4:38 am    Post subject: Re: i have multiple push rod failures on my 1745. any thoughts? Reply with quote

costonjs wrote:
Fiatdude wrote:
The only way the push rod tubes would like that was if the piston tried to go thru them
pretty much what i was thinking
Fiatdude wrote:
--Get you some new push rods and some collapsible push rod tubes and you won't even have to pull the heads
not looking forward to collapsible push rod tube leaks. not looking forward to pulling heads either. my push rods are a custom length. they will be a pain to replace. not pricey, just a pain.

JayCee tubes. Cry once, buy the best and never look back.
Mojo07470
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 4:54 am    Post subject: Re: i have multiple push rod failures on my 1745. any thoughts? Reply with quote

Looks like destructive behavior from someone you prodably know well. It doesn't look like a mechanical failure. Whoever did it is familiar with vw's. If it was a random act it would be easier to just dump something in the engine.
costonjs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 5:15 am    Post subject: Re: i have multiple push rod failures on my 1745. any thoughts? Reply with quote

Mojo07470 wrote:
Looks like destructive behavior from someone you prodably know well. It doesn't look like a mechanical failure. Whoever did it is familiar with vw's. If it was a random act it would be easier to just dump something in the engine.
very strange thing to have happen. in my neighborhood there are no vw junkies other than me. i'm a dad with 2 kids. i mow my grass, paint my house, no barking dog, keep my stuff in my driveway and garage. my kids are nice and too young to get in trouble. i agree with you though in that the damage appears to be inflicted by someone with knowledge of how to quickly f over one of these motors. what popped into my head is that someone in town has been watching my youtube vids and decided to be a pain in my ass for no particular reason other than that is the kind of person they are.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: