Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Overheating During Highway-Speeds
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 4:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Overheating During Highway-Speeds Reply with quote

KoMbI19 wrote:
Stock 1600 DP single carb, in time

KoMbI19 wrote:
I set the time according to rpms/ ear

Are you for real? Like honestly? You're not just shitting us for laughs?

I'm going to play nice here. Get your damn engine properly timed. NOW.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KoMbI19
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 4:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Overheating During Highway-Speeds Reply with quote

Yes, I do have a roof rack, but its pretty light and is pretty small. I don't think it would cause a lot of disturbance. I added the standoffs for looks, and it helped cooling a few degrees.

I took it for a good drive today (30 min) doing between 65-70 and it stayed at about 220-225. I adjusted the thermostat and connected up the vacuum lines correctly and it seemed to have helped the odd idling. I'll double over the timing with a strobe and change the belt and i think I'll be all set for the BugJam show in Dayton! Thanks guys!
KoMbI19
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 4:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Overheating During Highway-Speeds Reply with quote

Yes, I do have a roof rack, but its pretty light and is pretty small. I don't think it would cause a lot of disturbance. I added the standoffs for looks, and it helped cooling a few degrees.

I took it for a good drive today (30 min) doing between 65-70 and it stayed at about 220-225. I adjusted the thermostat and connected up the vacuum lines correctly and it seemed to have helped the odd idling. I'll double over the timing with a strobe and change the belt and i think I'll be all set for the BugJam show in Dayton! Thanks guys!
Bob Brugge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 4:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Overheating During Highway-Speeds Reply with quote

KoMbI19 wrote:
vamram-
I set the time according to rpms/ ear because It has a different dizzy that isn't factory installed. If anyone recalls the incident/post from after the rebuild, the wire locations on the cap are totally switched around from what they should be. Also, the markings on the crank pulley don't seem right (as if someone notched some others in there), so it's all a bit of a hash as far as timing goes.

I have a tach and I set it to around 800-900. But after a bit of driving after its hot, it revs more along the 1200 mark at idle. It seems to vary by temp a lot. Not sure on that one. Perhaps it has to do with the wrong vacuum lines.

Also, the doghouse is original to the car, and the fan is also correct. The cooler is brand new with less than 1k on it and as I said, cools fine until highway speeds.

I think what you have the timing set at may not be accurate. One reason the wire locations may be inaccurate is because the dizzy was replaced, or you didn't look at quite the right diagram. I have discovered that they are not all the same, diagrams or dizzies. Unles you bought the car new, or know the person who did, I think calling the fan and shroud original may be a best guess. With a 50 year old car you can't make thos assumptions.
Head over to the performance forum and you can find the right way to time your engine no matter what the dizzy you have installed.
KoMbI19
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 5:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Overheating During Highway-Speeds Reply with quote

Well, I adjusted up the thermostat and found it wasn't seated up correctly in the bracket, and was pulled down too tight, and wasn't then opening all the way when I applied heat with a heat gun. I made the proper adjustments, and I took it for a good drive. Ran it about 65-70 mph and it ran a pretty constant 220-225 on the gauge. I also rerouted the vacuum lines that were incorrect and that cured the weird idle with some final timing. So I think I should be all set. I will definitely be picking up a tennis ball in the future, though Wink I think I'll throw a new belt on and adjust the tension just to be on the safe side. Planning on going to the BugJam on the 10th, so hopefully she does well!

Thanks for all the help!
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 7:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Overheating During Highway-Speeds Reply with quote

If your engine got warmed up enough to heat the oil to 180 degrees, and your thermostat didn't fill up the space in its bracket, then your thermostat isn't opening your flaps.

Do you know the exact procedure to adjust the thermostat?

Also, the thermostat may be shot. Remove it--and its bracket--and with the thermostat still inside the bracket so it won't over extend, turn on a hair dryer, set to high, and aim it at the thermostat. It should swell to fill up the space in the bracket. You can also place it in boiling water, but make sure the thermostat remains in its bracket. Those guys will swell to three times (and more) if you don't keep them in the bracket.

You may also have a stripped bolt, or nut, that holds the thermostat bracket in its fixed--adjusted--position. If, when adjusted, the nut loosens, even a good thermostat won't open the flaps all the way.

Also, after removing the bracket, push and pull on the thermostat, while its still attached to the rod. Does it move freely, or gang up on something.

Tim

Richard O'Brien
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 7:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Overheating During Highway-Speeds Reply with quote

KoMbI19 wrote:
Well, I adjusted up the thermostat and found it wasn't seated up correctly in the bracket, and was pulled down too tight, and wasn't then opening all the way when I applied heat with a heat gun. I made the proper adjustments, and I took it for a good drive. Ran it about 65-70 mph and it ran a pretty constant 220-225 on the gauge. I also rerouted the vacuum lines that were incorrect and that cured the weird idle with some final timing. So I think I should be all set. I will definitely be picking up a tennis ball in the future, though Wink I think I'll throw a new belt on and adjust the tension just to be on the safe side. Planning on going to the BugJam on the 10th, so hopefully she does well!

Thanks for all the help!

How about posting a picture of your busted thermostat?

'74 Super 9/16 - present, in refurb process.
'73 Super - 6/18 - Present - Daily Driver!
'75 Super Le Grande...waiting it's turn in line behind '74.
Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
air-h2o-air
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 8:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Overheating During Highway-Speeds Reply with quote

you mentioned a new oil cooler....did you apply foam to the cooler edges, so cooling air cant bypass the cooler?
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 9:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Overheating During Highway-Speeds Reply with quote

vamram wrote:

How about posting a picture of your busted thermostat?

I'm not holding my breath for OP to even time his/her engine correctly……………………
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 10:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Overheating During Highway-Speeds Reply with quote

KoMbI19 wrote:
I set the time according to rpms/ ear because It has a different dizzy that isn't factory installed. If anyone recalls the incident/post from after the rebuild, the wire locations on the cap are totally switched around from what they should be. Also, the markings on the crank pulley don't seem right (as if someone notched some others in there), so it's all a bit of a hash as far as timing goes.

What this means is you cannot trust any documentation on timing for your model year. You have a different distributor that must be timed based on the distributor model and not the engine code or model year.
Also, you need to use valve/rocker arm movement to determine which position on your distributor is #1 spark plug wire and work from there.

Start with the model# off the distributor body. This will tell you the proper timing to use with that distributor and whether it is set with vacuum hoses connected or not. Look up your model# here for the correct timing specs:
http://www.oldvolkshome.com/ignition.htm

Next, you need to determine if you can use your crank pulley "as is", or do you need to add some new markings. What markings are already on your crank pulley? It wouldn't hurt to add markings for: TDC, 7.5BTDC, 28BTDC and 32BTDC. Go ahead and add a BDC mark at 180deg from TDC. This will be useful for valve adjustments.

Lastly, you need to determine (without a doubt) where your #1 spark plug wire goes on the distributor cap. This is done by looking at the rocker arms for #1 cylinder. When #1 is at the end of the compression stroke both the intake and exhaust valves will be CLOSED and no where close to moving (there should be a gap between the rocker arms and the valve stem). Rotate the crank pulley so the TDC mark (one of the timing marks near TDC is close enough) lines up with the case split. While looking at the #1 rocker arms, rock the crank pulley back and forth. You should NOT see either of the #1 valves move. If they are moving you are at TDC for #3 cylinder, rotate the crank 360-deg and check again. Once the valves are not moving, you know the engine is in position for #1 cylinder to fire. Look at the distributor rotor and where it is pointing. It will be pointing to the #1 spark plug post on the cap. Run the wire from the post over the tip of the rotor to the #1 spark plug. Wire the remaining posts in the standard firing order 1-4-3-2 clockwise around the cap. Even if this arrangement is not standard, it is correct for your engine.
'67 Beetle #1 {project car that never made it to the road Sad }
'75 Beetle 1200LS (RHD Japan model) {junked due to frame rot}
'67 Beetle #2 {2019 project car - Wish me luck!}
johnnypan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 5:57 am    Post subject: Re: Overheating During Highway-Speeds Reply with quote

Huh,a misadjusted or jammed tstat damn near frying an engine...blasphemy,pure blasphemy...get your engine timed correctly and let it break in some before you fret about heat
sjbartnik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 6:23 am    Post subject: Re: Overheating During Highway-Speeds Reply with quote

KoMbI19 wrote:
I set the time according to rpms/ ear because It has a different dizzy that isn't factory installed.

Wrong answer. Setting timing that way is the quickest way to nuke your engine.
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 10:09 am    Post subject: Re: Overheating During Highway-Speeds Reply with quote

sjbartnik wrote:
KoMbI19 wrote:
I set the time according to rpms/ ear because It has a different dizzy that isn't factory installed.

Wrong answer. Setting timing that way is the quickest way to nuke your engine.

OP is long gone. Don't feed the trolls. Wink
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 12:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Overheating During Highway-Speeds Reply with quote

It makes no difference if the OP is gone. Others who have the same issues may find this thread in a search and learn from it.

Tim

Richard O'Brien
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 12:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Overheating During Highway-Speeds Reply with quote

Tim Donahoe wrote:
It makes no difference if the OP is gone. Others who have the same issues may find this thread in a search and learn from it.

Tim

That's very true. No need to empower the members of the Dunning-Kruger Club.

Robbie
KoMbI19
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 7:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Overheating During Highway-Speeds Reply with quote

Sorry, I haven't been off the sight in the past couple of days due to work, and missed all of the commotion.

I set the engine timing per advice I have gotten from some muscle car guys who do this stuff on their cars all the time, but I guess this is why I need to come to you guys first since these cars are a bit special! So I will get a timing light and adjust correctly then per your advice. There aren't any VW shops here in southwestern Ohio anyways, so getting it to a VW pro is a bit difficult.

To answer some questions- the fan fit in the shroud fine and it seemed right according to the pictures I have seen. The cooler had the foam on it already, and fit in fine with the rest of the tin. The dizzy was new from the PO with the carb and was already set and working properly before I had the engine out, so I'm assuming I have the thermostat and flaps got messed up somewhere and that needs addressing after timing.

And sorry to all of the VW pros who got a kick out my idiocy. I'm still pretty new to air-cooled mechanicals so I'm a bit clueless but am trying to get into how it works. So if you don't have the patience, just don't worry about it. Others are plenty of help who understand the boat I'm in- Thanks Tim!
KoMbI19
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 7:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Overheating During Highway-Speeds Reply with quote

Oh, and yes- I watched a video of a VW mechanic on how to test your thermostat and adjust. I took the whole thing off, bracket and thermostat, and pulled the cable up and down and the flaps were moving fine. I could hear then both and they are connected. I adjusted it the same way and I took a heat gun to it and it seemed to be pushing the cable up all the way without problems. The cable was jammed when the thermostat was incorrectly seated and it couldn't really move. It then seemed to get up to temp the same and kept it fine. On the freeway it did fairly well at 220. You guys are right though- it needs timed right. I'll get that done as soon as possible. After I drove it with the new vacuum lines it seemed a little more doggy than usual- almost like it was burying itself when you accelerate too hard. Maybe even a little carb adjust would do it well. Thanks for the help, and ill let you know how it works out.
KoMbI19
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 7:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Overheating During Highway-Speeds Reply with quote

Oh, and yes- I watched a video of a VW mechanic on how to test your thermostat and adjust. I took the whole thing off, bracket and thermostat, and pulled the cable up and down and the flaps were moving fine. I could hear then both and they are connected. I adjusted it the same way and I took a heat gun to it and it seemed to be pushing the cable up all the way without problems. The cable was jammed when the thermostat was incorrectly seated and it couldn't really move. It then seemed to get up to temp the same and kept it fine. On the freeway it did fairly well at 220. You guys are right though- it needs timed right. I'll get that done as soon as possible. After I drove it with the new vacuum lines it seemed a little more doggy than usual- almost like it was burying itself when you accelerate too hard. Maybe even a little carb adjust would do it well. Thanks for the help, and ill let you know how it works out.
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 8:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Overheating During Highway-Speeds Reply with quote

KoMbI19 wrote:

To answer some questions- the fan fit in the shroud fine and it seemed right according to the pictures I have seen.

May fit fine, but be too narrow for your engine and cause cooling problem.
KoMbI19
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 3:47 am    Post subject: Re: Overheating During Highway-Speeds Reply with quote

Eric&Barb wrote:
KoMbI19 wrote:

To answer some questions- the fan fit in the shroud fine and it seemed right according to the pictures I have seen.

May fit fine, but be too narrow for your engine and cause cooling problem.

That makes sense. Do you think If I could get back in there and take a picture of it we could tell if its the right one for the car?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: