Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Issue with the Thing
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
nicki53
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 7:39 am    Post subject: Issue with the Thing Reply with quote

Hello everybody!
So, my dad and i were taking our '76 Thing for a spin and everything was going well until we made a sharp turn, and once my dad let off the clutch and started to accelerate, the car shuttered violently and then cut out. The car started up again, but as soon as we drove another 100 meters, it just cut out again.
And now it won't start at all. What could be the cause of this?
sjbartnik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 9:18 am    Post subject: Re: Issue with the Thing Reply with quote

You're out of petrol
doublecanister
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 10:47 am    Post subject: Re: Issue with the Thing Reply with quote

it could be out of gas, some of the fuel gauges aren't spot on.

try to start it again maybe with some starting fluid, if the motor fires and runs for a sec, it's not getting fuel or the anti diesel solenoid is stuck maybe?

Let us know what you find.

T
1966 - Mustang GT- Fastback
1951 - Ford F1 pickup Flathead V8
nicki53
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 12:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Issue with the Thing Reply with quote

Well, i got home and just did an overall check. There is definitely fuel, but no spark. Hmm... Points are fine, plugs are fine, maybe the coil is busted.
I will try a replacement one and see if i am lucky.
Joe 20
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 7:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Issue with the Thing Reply with quote

Don;t forget the coil wire...check before you spend money on a new coil.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 8:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Issue with the Thing Reply with quote

Fuel pump? Mine went a few years ago.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 6:48 am    Post subject: Re: Issue with the Thing Reply with quote

Get out the multimeter and find out where you do and don't have power before you start spending money.

Also, a bad rotor will prevent the spark from getting from the coil to the points.
nicki53
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 8:05 am    Post subject: Re: Issue with the Thing Reply with quote

Alright, so the multimeter was taken out of hibernation and the coil wire is fine, so i changed the coil and still no spark at all. Rotor, cap and points are fine, so that leaves me with the condenser and the distributor itself. I will do some checking, and then i might try the distributor from my Bug, and see if it clears things up.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: