Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

John's Aquired '67...
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Offroader5
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 11:36 am    Post subject: Re: Aquired a '67... Reply with quote

Confirmed the replacement rear apron is a rear section from a 67...with the OG latch bar 😎 Decklid is in great shape as well with correct latch. Have OG popouts and OG window regs that just need some TLC and will be right as rain.

Seat sliders were cut a bit to install the different seats. I knew this..and knew i would need i get replacements..but the structure is still there that i can get measurements from before pulling them and welding in new.
grandpa pete
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 1:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Aquired a '67... Reply with quote

Offroader5 wrote:
Only parts that worry me only because im not a body guy...is the slight wrinkles inside the front apron and the wrinkled drivers side engine bay panel. Not sure if a hammer and dolly can do much..or if it needs pulled a bit. There is a replacement rear apron inside the car..not sure if its the correct 67 one..the one on the car obviously isn't.

Wrap a chain around a tree and put tension on the front end with a come along while you hammer and dolly the dents ...easy if you a little patience .

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=569619&highlight=sedan+delivery
Offroader5
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 2:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Aquired a '67... Reply with quote

grandpa pete wrote:
Wrap a chain around a tree and put tension on the front end with a come along while you hammer and dolly the dents ...easy if you a little patience .

Yeah..was just talking with the buddy today that gave me the car. We came to that same idea. Car has t-bars on it now and will make for some good sacrificial anchors to pull with
flyboy161
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 4:54 pm    Post subject: Re: John's Aquired '67... Reply with quote

I used a scissor Jack on my Dad's bug along with blocks of wood. At top and bottom of the Jack. Extend the Jack across the engine compartment front to rear and put pressure on it. A lot of pressure. Start hammering. Put more pressure on the Jack. Use of a dolly behind where you hammer is mandatory.

Again, patience is crucial. Dents that protrude towards you get the hammer. Dents that point away from you get hammered on the other side.

We stretched his front clip out 1.5"

The 1964...Diamond in the rough
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=612776

My 1958 Morocco Bug-
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=611483
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Offroader5
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 6:01 pm    Post subject: Re: John's Aquired '67... Reply with quote

Finally got this car all cleaned out. Mice had made a home of it and stocked up on cactus and horse manure Confused Also appears there may have been a litter or two of kittens had inside..but two of them didnt make it Sad Here are a couple interior shots.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

flyboy161
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 6:42 pm    Post subject: Re: John's Aquired '67... Reply with quote

Nice! Solid car

The 1964...Diamond in the rough
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=612776

My 1958 Morocco Bug-
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=611483
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Offroader5
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 11:01 am    Post subject: Re: John's Aquired '67... Reply with quote

I'm now officially confused about front beams. I'd like to go 4" narrowed, but I'm getting mixed info from what I'm reading all over the web. Will I need to modify the body to fit a 4" narrowed beam or not? I've seen info that goes both ways...some say and show that they've had to, but other places I see people have had zero issues fitting the 4" beam.
grandpa pete
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 1:40 pm    Post subject: Re: John's Aquired '67... Reply with quote

Go to the FAQ at the top of this forum ; LOTS of beam info .

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=569619&highlight=sedan+delivery
Kloster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 1:07 pm    Post subject: Re: John's Aquired '67... Reply with quote

I have a 4 inch narrowed beam from Airkewld on my 67 and it fits no problem.
stale air
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 2:02 pm    Post subject: Re: John's Aquired '67... Reply with quote

flyboy161 wrote:
Nice! Solid car

x2! Cool
Offroader5
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 4:03 pm    Post subject: Re: John's Aquired '67... Reply with quote

Spent a couple hours this morning pulling the fenders and all the body/pan bolts. She's ready to be lifted off and onto the body dolly. Just have to wait till a buddy or two can come by and help. Then..i can finally start on the chassis cleanup and rebuild. Want to get the chassis turned around quickly so i can concentrate on the body and getting it out to paint.

Good news is all the body bolts came out no problem. But..i will need to get some fender nutserts to reweld a couple in and will also need to drill out and retap several.

After fender removal, i found that there is a small amount of bondo in a couple areas of the passenger front quarter. Front fender there also had thin layers...but i plan on trying to get some real front fenders..so no biggie.
Offroader5
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 3:12 pm    Post subject: Re: John's Aquired '67... Reply with quote

Ha, funny story where I made the body dolly WAYYY too tall. Very Happy Buddy and I tried and tried, but we couldn't lift it up that far. Had to trim a bit off the top. Finally have the body off now and the chassis in my "garage" Rolling Eyes and ready to tear into.

Have a front beam on the way. It's an Old Speed 4" narrowed & adjusters with a set of matching leafs.

I've decided to just spend the cash on having the chassis media blasted and powder coated. I was going to do the stripping/cleaning by hand and just re-coat using POR-15, but after seeing how nice the PC'd chassis come out and for how little I can have it done...I decided it was worth it. It would have cost me over half the cost of the blast & PC to just buy the POR-15 products. I found a place that will blast & PC for $250.
Offroader5
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 8:56 pm    Post subject: Re: John's Aquired '67... Reply with quote

Well, just like sooo many others...I have no clue what trans this is. Only bit of info I am finding is that possibly once the numbers reached 10 million, is when they started putting the letter codes in front of the number. And supposedly this was around '68. So, if that info is correct, this may be the original '67 trans... Also not sure what the P stamp is on top of the bell housing.

TinCanFab
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2016 5:59 am    Post subject: Re: John's Aquired '67... Reply with quote

Looks like it's really coming along, I read a few posts up about cleaning the body from mice nests. Did you do the heater channels really well? In the bus forums, some people jack the front end real high and blast water through the defrost and foot vents to flush any garbage out the engine side. You can rig up a sprayer to soak it with some bleach too. I just wanted to give you a heads up before you send it off to paint. You wouldn't want to finish the car and get some nasty funk the first time you use the heater, or maybe when the car is all sealed up on a hot day. Crying or Very sad

They're never really ever finished 58 rag build...
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=658092
Offroader5
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2016 6:39 am    Post subject: Re: John's Aquired '67... Reply with quote

Hmm...good point. Better to check than assume the channels are clear. Once I get the pan stripped of parts and ready for the media blaster...I'll throw it end up and clean those out.

Spent a couple hours last night stripping all the tar board from the tunnel and all the old seam sealer...man that was a mess.

Found this picture on Pintrest...not sure if its anyone on here...bit I'd love to see more photos or a build log. This is the same color combo I'm shootin for..black wheels and all. Only with a bit taller stance in the rear and bigger meats out back.

TinCanFab
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2016 7:58 am    Post subject: Re: John's Aquired '67... Reply with quote

Yeah, you never know what kind of urine and poop soaked garbage could be plugging those channels and will hold moisture against the metal. I would start with compressed air to get any blast media out and bigger debris so the water won't gum it all up. I haven't seen evidence of mice in my project car, but I think I'm going to flush them out anyway. The body heater ducts have been disconnected for decades so who knows what critters have crawled inside!

I dig the light body color with dark wheels, contrast colors are nice. If I ever lowered my light grey single cab, I'm going with black gas burners. Wink

They're never really ever finished 58 rag build...
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=658092
Offroader5
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 12:42 pm    Post subject: Re: John's Aquired '67... Reply with quote

Should I worry too much about this crack Sad I can weld, but being cast, I have never done the pre-heating and welding needed for it. Not sure I could do this myself and know it was done right.
Offroader5
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 1:48 pm    Post subject: Re: John's Aquired '67... Reply with quote

HA...a coworker just gave me this toy "classic VW 1967". Guess the Chinese don't know that the transaxle/engine is in the rear Laughing Oh...and that 67 didnt have the outside gas filler door...
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 2:17 pm    Post subject: Re: John's Aquired '67... Reply with quote

Offroader5 wrote:
Should I worry too much about this crack Sad I can weld, but being cast, I have never done the pre-heating and welding needed for it. Not sure I could do this myself and know it was done right.

This would worry me. You can see the offset at the bottom, so it is moving with load. I'm not qualified to fix it, either, but I would look into it for sure.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: