Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Tools: Screwdriver set
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stephenmarklay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 4:15 am    Post subject: Tools: Screwdriver set Reply with quote

My screwdriver drawer is full of mismatched, bent and ugly screwdrivers.

I would like a nice new set and wondered what is a good choice. Need to have tough shafts, comfortable and have a good tip that won’t bend, and importantly have good tolerances (true to size.)
greebly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 5:59 am    Post subject: Re: Tools: Screwdriver set Reply with quote

I bought a Stanley diamond tip set at Lowes for less than $20.00 that I am happy with. I have some specialty drivers like a 22 inch #2 phillips snap-on that was purchased o long ago it has been replaced once and I forget what obscene amount I paid for it, but it is a goto tool. I also have a harbour fright 4 in 1 that I grab often for stuff around the house. It is kept in the upstairs toolbox. If the fastener presents any problem I take the time to go get the diamond tip.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Terry Kay
Banned

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 7:00 am    Post subject: Re: Tools: Screwdriver set Reply with quote

I like snap-on screwdrivers.

They are infinitely guaranteed if you bust an end, and they have a hex on the shaft at the bottom of the handle, so if you need to get a stuck screw loose you can lean on it and use a box wrench on it to assist.
A racheting box wrench works great here.
greebly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 7:04 am    Post subject: Re: Tools: Screwdriver set Reply with quote

Terry Kay wrote:
they have a hex on the shaft at the bottom of the handle, so if you need to get a stuck screw loose you can lean on it and use a box wrench on it to assist.

I thought you just got the acetelene torch out for stuck fasteners TK. Put some heat to it until it glows kind of stuff. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ZanaEvyPapa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 7:22 am    Post subject: Re: Tools: Screwdriver set Reply with quote

This is the best screwdriver system I've come across. I love it.
https://www.amazon.com/Picquic-98881-Carded-Screwdriver-Nutdriver/dp/B0018IYTYQ

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Paulbeard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 7:23 am    Post subject: Re: Tools: Screwdriver set Reply with quote

I have a couple of square shaft ones as well in my collection of misfit toys tools and they are useful for the same reason: you can clamp a vise grip on them when needed. I think they're Craftsman.

Quote:
Git 'r DONE!
— dhaavers
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Terry Kay
Banned

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 7:29 am    Post subject: Re: Tools: Screwdriver set Reply with quote

<<I thought you just got the acetelene torch out for stuck fasteners TK. Put some heat to it until it glows kind of stuff.

You are correct--but in certain instances that a torch can't be used.
If the ratcheting box wrench on the screwdriver, and a lot of leaning won't do it--I break out the impact driver--that will get the fastener out in an instant.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 7:36 am    Post subject: Re: Tools: Screwdriver set Reply with quote

I've historically used Craftsman since the 1950's...... But with the decay of the brand I'm no longer faithful.

My latest screw drivers are a set of Wiha that I got about a year ago.

I use these for screws, if I need a mini prybar or chisel, the old Craftsman units come out.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
physast
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 7:51 am    Post subject: Re: Tools: Screwdriver set Reply with quote

I have had luck (so far) with these craftsman screwdrivers. I have only owned them for a month, but no complaints so far.

http://www.sears.com/craftsman-extreme-grip-14-pie...ockType=G4
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 8:09 am    Post subject: Re: Tools: Screwdriver set Reply with quote

I'm still using my Craftsman set purchased almost 50 years ago. Of course each screwdriver has been replaced a few times through the years.

Pry bars, paint stirrers, chisels, even welded on to a battery post -- they are versatile tools.

They always let me swap for a new one - but if the tool has clearly been abused then I have my wife handle the exchange. They don't bother to quiz her on how she managed to melt the shaft or bend the tip into a pretzel.
rusty busty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 8:15 am    Post subject: Re: Tools: Screwdriver set Reply with quote

I got these Milwaukee ones maybe 6 months ago. I'm pretty impressed so far. They say that they're "demolition grade" so I've taken that to mean that I can beat on them with a hammer or pipe wrench😈

https://www.milwaukeetool.ca/hand-tools/screwdrivers/48-22-2002
I've been changing a lot of my other hand tools over to Milwaukee as well. I picked up some insulated screwdrivers, vice grips, chanel locks, side cutters etc. I do hvac installations so I'm hard on my tools. No brand loyalty though. I do have a sweet dewalt adjustable wrench.
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 11:09 am    Post subject: Re: Tools: Screwdriver set Reply with quote

Re impact driver

I use my handheld impact driver all the time. Don't know if it technically qualifies as a screwdriver but it's a really useful tool to have.

Mine is a Lyle. Don't know how it would hold up under daily pro use but so far, no issues. It came with bits, drive head is 3/8" so it will accept sockets.

Neil

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
greebly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 11:23 am    Post subject: Re: Tools: Screwdriver set Reply with quote

Stanley FatMax diamond tip set.
http://www.stanleytools.com/products/fatmax-tools/.../fmht62052

I use Lowes as they graciously give me a 10% veteran's discount. With the discount the Stanley set was $18.00.
I also will use Lowes for Irwin pliers (Vicegrip brand) just bought a set of slip joints with a box frame and push button adjustment which is similar to the Knipex Cobras at half the cost. Nice pliers. Prefer them to the old channel locks I had which are now delegated to the travel tool box. I also use Lowes for Dewalt bits and blades.
Harbour freight professional series are suprisingly good for their 8" diaganols and needle nose pliers, linesman and safety pliers. The locking pliers are decent for the price. Avoid the non professional series, they are junk. The slip joint pliers are cheaply made and designed.
Sears Craftsman Brand are made to their specs by whomever sears contracts with. At one time they were decent, although nothing special, manufactured by Cooper Industries and then by Danaher Corporation. The lifetime guarantee is paid for up front and they expect most will lose the tool or neglect to return it for warranty.
Problem with Snap-on returns is finding the snap-on truck to return them. If you purchased from one vendor somewhere else and do not have a relationship with the guy they do not like to do the return.
Stephenmarklay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 7:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Tools: Screwdriver set Reply with quote

Thanks for these ideas! I do like the thought of having a shaft can put a wrench on.
tates1882
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 8:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Tools: Screwdriver set Reply with quote

Well as an electrician I've driven literally thousands of screws and fasteners, the pictque from above is descent but the tips rust and wear quickly then they are a pita to get in and out of the handle. The best brand I've found for comfort and longevity is wera, I use the screw sticks, ratchets and precision screw stick set all the time. The handle fits my hand nicely, I wear a large glove to give you an idea of my hand size.
ejimmi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 8:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Tools: Screwdriver set Reply with quote

I have multiple sets of craftsman snap-on, and wiah. I always seem to grab for the wiah first, they just feel right.

amazon has an amazing deal on a 5 pack for $34
https://www.amazon.com/Wiha-30295-Screwdriver-Slot...NRDX119YCB

KC tools carries the bigger sets.

Edit: I do also have a big #4 philips Wera driver and agree they make top quality stuff too!
Merian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 9:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Tools: Screwdriver set Reply with quote

the critical thing is to get flat screwdrivers with cross-ground blades - Hazet was the best as of a few years ago - better than Snap-Off

I have several Snap-Offs, and a couple of Crapsman that are used as beaters, and then returned periodically. The Snappies last a long time but I had to get the guy to put new shafts on a couple years ago.

I have some tiny ones by Wiha - very nice; no experience with larger ones

Last edited by Merian on Mon Aug 29, 2016 9:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 9:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Tools: Screwdriver set Reply with quote

This is the only full size one I have

The only one aside from a set of Wiha precision Torx and jewelers screwdrivers.

That and a large hammer will fix anything!

There are seven days in a week. Someday is not one of them.
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 6:26 am    Post subject: Re: Tools: Screwdriver set Reply with quote

Geez I'm shocked nobody is ready to hand over their money to their Chinese buddies at harbor freight. LOL. Very Happy
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 7:42 am    Post subject: Re: Tools: Screwdriver set Reply with quote

Terry Kay wrote:

They are infinitely guaranteed if you bust an end, and they have a hex on the shaft at the bottom of the handle, so if you need to get a stuck screw loose you can lean on it and use a box wrench on it to assist.
A racheting box wrench works great here.

It depends on which end you break, the plastic handle are not warranted.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: