Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Deep sump oil pan for type II Bus 1700 pancake
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jibronee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 2:09 pm    Post subject: Deep sump oil pan for type II Bus 1700 pancake Reply with quote

I can't seem to find a deep sump pan to fit my stock 72' bus 1700 engine. Are they only available for type I engines?
Thanks!
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 2:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Deep sump oil pan for type II Bus 1700 pancake Reply with quote

wouldnt think they would need it really but here ya go

http://vwparts.aircooled.net/SCAT-Deep-Sump-1-5-Quart-VW-Type-4-Engines-50020-p/50020.htm
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 2:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Deep sump oil pan for type II Bus 1700 pancake Reply with quote

Scat has them http://www.scatvw.com/type-iv-914-porsche-912/
Featured in Dec. 2001 HOT VW's Magazine page 63

Watch my racing video's http://www.youtube.com/user/okvwracer/videos
Vanapplebomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 3:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Deep sump oil pan for type II Bus 1700 pancake Reply with quote

To the original poster, why do you need one? A bandaid fix for another problem?

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=487021
jibronee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 4:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Deep sump oil pan for type II Bus 1700 pancake Reply with quote

Thanks for the info guys!!

VanApple, I'd just like to have more oil capacity for my motor. It runs great and has 137-140 psi across all 4 cylinders and I'd like it to last as long as possible.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 5:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Deep sump oil pan for type II Bus 1700 pancake Reply with quote

jibronee wrote:
Thanks for the info guys!!

VanApple, I'd just like to have more oil capacity for my motor. It runs great and has 137-140 psi across all 4 cylinders and I'd like it to last as long as possible.

I think the reason it is being asked.....is because except for extreme off road and road racing...type 4 engines do not need a deep sump for anything. It will also not do anything for engine longevity.

The type 4 engines have twice the stock oil capacity as compared to type 1. It will not run any cooler or hotter with a deep sump....nor will it extend time between oil changes.

A deep sump is niice if you do a lot of long hard sweepers in road racing or spirtited driving on the twistily roads or offroad on extreme incline..... to keep from sucking air into the pickup......but the stock windage plate does well enough for anything but those uses.

In a pinch, most 914 guys run an extra quart of oil and some use the small 6oz "tuja-can" sump with an extended pick up tube. Simpler, lighter, cheaper. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 6:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Deep sump oil pan for type II Bus 1700 pancake Reply with quote

Right! it's called a "tuna can"
and unless you are cornering at high G-forces all the time you don't need one.
Vanapplebomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 7:22 am    Post subject: Re: Deep sump oil pan for type II Bus 1700 pancake Reply with quote

I agree 100% with the two above posts.

Vanapplebomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 7:31 am    Post subject: Re: Deep sump oil pan for type II Bus 1700 pancake Reply with quote

Your engine likely has one of these oil baffle/windage trays. Although they can slow oil return to the sump in high revving high flow aplocations, they do a fantastic job of keeping oil in the sump from sloshing to the side away from the oil pickup in high G corners.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

rockerarm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 3:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Deep sump oil pan for type II Bus 1700 pancake Reply with quote

Hi and WELCOME.
Sumps are available for the type 4 engine. I believe they will mount off the "fragile" oil strainer mount on this engine case. Personally, I'm not a fan of installing parts that could jeopardize the original engine parts, and in this case, the engine case.
If it is an oil capacity increase you wish to achieve, I would look into an oil filter relocation kit, which you would install an adaptor to the oem filter mount and relocate a filter, possibly at the left rear bumper mount, as many hi-po VW's utilize. Larger capacity filters are available that meet your engine's specs. The downside is the use of hoses that are fragile and require maintenance.
I personally have a '71 bus that holds 7 qts of diesel oil. I have a full flow filter that is commonly used but added a large Baldwin bypass oil filter. It sits next to my full flow filter. I also have the common 1 1/2 qt sump.
I believe there is a site, 914world, that might give you some insight if you really want the sump setup.
Hope this helps, Bill.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 3:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Deep sump oil pan for type II Bus 1700 pancake Reply with quote

Vanapplebomb wrote:
Your engine likely has one of these oil baffle/windage trays. Although they can slow oil return to the sump in high revving high flow aplocations, they do a fantastic job of keeping oil in the sump from sloshing to the side away from the oil pickup in high G corners.

Looks like you had no issues with "rolling on" RTV on the case parting line. Its a great sealing method when done carefully. Let me know how it works for you. I have done it on numerous engines, gearboxes and steering gear boxes and they don't leak. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Vanapplebomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 10:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Deep sump oil pan for type II Bus 1700 pancake Reply with quote

Ray, I always credit you with that tip. This is the first engine I'm trying it on. Used Permatex aviation in the past, so this will be a fun comparison. I have to say the roll on RTV is a lot less messy. I anticipate it will make separating the case halves much easier when that time comes. It has been sitting on my work bench with oil in it while I wait for the transmission to be rebuilt. So far no issues, but time will tell. Cool

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: