Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Running Sea Foam through the gastank (Poll)
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  

Running seafoam through the gas tank
Waste of time/money
10%
 10%  [ 2 ]
Works O.K.
36%
 36%  [ 7 ]
Swear by it
21%
 21%  [ 4 ]
What the hell is Sea Foam???
31%
 31%  [ 6 ]
Total Votes : 19

Agent47
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 11:11 am    Post subject: Running Sea Foam through the gastank (Poll) Reply with quote

I have read mixed reviews from people about running Sea Foam to help clean the carbon build up out of your engine.

So a poll seemed to make the most since to determine whether or not it is worth the time/effort/money.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
NY thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 11:18 am    Post subject: Re: Running Sea Foam through the gastank (Poll) Reply with quote

My boss swears by it. At the shop we have a setup to hang it and attach a line to the valve on a fuel rail. I have seen it help a little.

But to clean carbon, I have read that you can rev the engine and put a few drops of water down the carbs with the intent to steam clean the carbon off.
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 11:38 am    Post subject: Re: Running Sea Foam through the gastank (Poll) Reply with quote

works ok in the gas tank. It is also a fuel stabilizer so I use it in the notchback.

if you do it through the intake and rev it I think you will get more carbon off, but yes water does the same thing.

there is a video out there where someone does the scope in the cylinders before and after all major brands of this kind of stuff. Here's one

Link

74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 11:46 am    Post subject: Re: Running Sea Foam through the gastank (Poll) Reply with quote

The only really way to know if it works for your situation is to run a borescope or if you are pulling it apart do the treatment on one cylinder and see when you take off the head.
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 3:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Running Sea Foam through the gastank (Poll) Reply with quote

Like Pinocchio says "it's not a lie if you believe" Very Happy
ve7kilohertz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 8:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Running Sea Foam through the gastank (Poll) Reply with quote

I have been using it for years, and it has worked very well for me on all of my old engines. You reminded me of it and while I was in town picked up a few cans and put half of one in my buggy. (see my other threads for all the issues I have been having). On the way into town my ported vacuum (Dual Kadrons) was at cruise, almost 0, maybe 0-5 depending on throttle, on the way home, I noticed it had climbed to steady 5 and then higher, sometimes up to 7-8" hg, same throttle and road speed. Must have cleaned up some carbon on the valves or ??? anyway, it worked for me today.

Cheers
MURZI
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 5:24 am    Post subject: Re: Running Sea Foam through the gastank (Poll) Reply with quote

I worked for Seafoam for about 5 years as a rep. The way we used to sell it was with demonstrations. After probably doing hundreds of demos on everything from garden tillers to 18 wheelers, I can tell you I am a believer. The stuff will make even the doubtful faithful to the product.

The best demo ever witnessed was selling to a rental equipment dealer. He was a true non believer. We asked if he had anything that was running bad and he commented that his edgers didn't idle well and ran rough. There they sat all in a row. I took Seafoam and put a couple of "glugs" in each tank. I cranked each edger. As we sat there talking each edger, in the order that I put the Seafoam in, began to run smooth. The mechanic sat there is disbelief as if he had just witnessed a miracle. The stuff works......
45 Dells
A1 sidewinder
Fk44 cam
TinCanFab
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 5:57 am    Post subject: Re: Running Sea Foam through the gastank (Poll) Reply with quote

If you are using it to try and "fix" a problem, you will have mixed results. I can see why some people think it's a waste if money because they expected to see a difference, but grime and carbon buildup was probably not their issue in the first place. I use it when I know, without a doubt, that an engine will benefit.

A month ago, I helped a youngster with a Chevy pickup he just got from his mom with 200,000 miles. It was neglected and running rough. He was mostly freaked out by sudden valve train noise. This is a perfect example of when to use it! Lack of oil changes and a complete redo of the ignition system and general maintenance. I fixed all obvious problems and put Seafoam in the gas, oil and throttle body. Within 30 minutes, lifter noise was gone and engine ran way better. If you use it and don't notice a difference, I think that carbon buildup was not a big problem.

They're never really ever finished 58 rag build...
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=658092
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 8:57 am    Post subject: Re: Running Sea Foam through the gastank (Poll) Reply with quote

the seafoam around hear has toomuch salt for me.......aint life grand with your toes in the sand Cool the only 2 things Ive ever used that made any diferance are yamaha ring free and berrymans.the yamaha is oh so expensive. the berrymans...$3.17...reduced/rollback to $2.84 at wally world. and it does make a good deal bit of performance diferance.as for cleaning.....I have not done the boreascope. it also adds 2-4 mpg in whatever I have put it in.I used it in the wifes honda element when on the road or towing.I will not toe without it. it works.
tattooed_pariah
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 10:32 am    Post subject: Re: Running Sea Foam through the gastank (Poll) Reply with quote

So if I know my car is going to sit for more than a month or so, I dump the appropriate amount of sta-bil in the tank and run it for a few minutes..

if it has sat for more than a month and I forgot to put sta-bil in it, I dump the appropriate amount of seafoam in it, and grab the roof rack and shake it a little before starting it.

That's about all I use those two products for....

Something I wanted to point out about that video up above regarding the techron (or similar products).. yea, removing carbon deposits is one advertised benefit, but it also allegedy helps clean throttle bodies, and jets and anything else it passes through too.. it's not just about removing carbon build up from piston faces.. so while it may not have made a big impact on big chunks of carbon adhered to a flat surface, it might make an impact on tiny pieces of carbon adhered to a small surface.. : shrugs :

"Never worry about stepping on people's toes. People who get their toes stepped on are either sitting down, or standing still on the job."
-Admiral Arleigh Burke, USN(ret.)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: