Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Front retractable seat belt length.
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 9:56 am    Post subject: Re: Front retractable seatbelt length. Reply with quote

aeromech wrote:
Might be GoWesty

http://www.gowesty.com/product-details.php?v=&id=3218

Mine are short. Same thing cannot reach passenger door and if your a little big in the belt line they will not fit without extenders or extensions.
Tcash
islandtime
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 10:44 am    Post subject: Re: Front retractable seatbelt length. Reply with quote

Tcash wrote:
aeromech wrote:
Might be GoWesty

Mine are short. Same thing cannot reach passenger door and if your a little big in the belt line they will not fit without extenders or extensions.
Tcash

Tcash, are yours the gowesty ones? I'm a 42 waist but my 38-40 friends also find the belt a bit snug.
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 11:12 am    Post subject: Re: Front retractable seatbelt length. Reply with quote

islandtime wrote:
Tcash wrote:
aeromech wrote:
Might be GoWesty

Tcash

Tcash, are yours the gowesty ones? I'm a 42 waist but my 38-40 friends also find the belt a bit snug.

Yes, Go Westy belts. A 38-40 waist is not really snug, but there is not much room to move around.
Tcash
islandtime
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 11:17 am    Post subject: Re: Front retractable seatbelt length. Reply with quote

Thanks, what do your belts measure fully extended? Pulleout all the way and measures from the reel to the point where the opposite end of the belt attaches.
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 11:43 am    Post subject: Re: Front retractable seatbelt length. Reply with quote

Total length roughly 118".
Center of reel, through shoulder strap, back to mounting bolt. With belt fully extended.

Tcash
islandtime
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 12:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Front retractable seatbelt length. Reply with quote

That's 10" longer than mine. That would make a lot of difference. According to pic in the gallery that explained how to determine the proper length, I would need 120 to be comfortable and that would be a minimum..

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
OB Bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 1:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Front retractable seatbelt length. Reply with quote

I have the eBay Humvee belts in the Single Cab. There were a tad short once installed. I got a pair of seat belt extenders on eBay for under $12. Easier and cheaper that buying/installing a whole new set of belts.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
islandtime
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 1:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Front retractable seatbelt length. Reply with quote

The seat belt extender would be cheaper, I just worry about the safety of a buckle to a buckle and the shifted position of the main belt. I know it's done everyday, some of my ocd over thinking kicking in.

Just found these. They are 133" fully extended. I was hoping to order from a ACVW shop but no one seems to know or have the right length.

http://www.seatbeltsplus.com/product/WSCH14134C-18.html
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 2:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Front retractable seatbelt length. Reply with quote

18" cable a little long. Wonder if they have shorter ones?
Tcash
islandtime
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 3:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Front retractable seatbelt length. Reply with quote

Tcash wrote:
18" cable a little long. Wonder if they have shorter ones?
Tcash

Yes, I copied the wrong link when I was looking at the different options. They have a 12" that matches the length of the original non-retractable belts that were in my bus and the ones empi supplied with their kit.

http://www.seatbeltsplus.com/product/WSCH14134C-12.html
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 4:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Front retractable seat belt length. Reply with quote

Could you please post some pics of them installed and let us know how they work.
Thank you
Tcash
islandtime
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 4:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Front retractable seat belt length. Reply with quote

I have ordered them so as soon as I can get them installed I will get some pics. I'll even model one to show range of motion. Laughing
alikatcraig
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 9:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Front retractable seat belt length. Reply with quote

Make your own - it really isn't difficult. I bought a roll of seatbelt webbing on Amazon and took it to my local upholstery shop. Pulled the old one out and stuck a screwdriver in the end to stop it winding back. Pulled the fabric and steel rod that anchors it out and stitched the rod into the new material and fitted it through the spool. Add the shoulder locating tab, bayonet and end tab and you are done. I am going for 120' total length, and you won't squeeze much more in the standard VW unit. Works fine, and you can have whatever color you want!
1973 Standard Bug
1998 Mexican Bug
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
airkooledchris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 9:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Front retractable seat belt length. Reply with quote

islandtime wrote:
I have ordered them so as soon as I can get them installed I will get some pics. I'll even model one to show range of motion. Laughing

Did you install them yet?

Yes, I already searched the forums to see if you had answered this previously.*

*not really
lil-jinx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 8:02 am    Post subject: Re: Front retractable seat belt length. Reply with quote

Those might do the trick,[url]wescoperformance.stores.yahoo.net/big-rig-seatbelt-air-ride.html[/url]
1968 Dune Buggy
1974 parts bus
A smart man learns from his mistakes,a very smart man learns from other's mistakes.
samwise
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 11:21 am    Post subject: Re: Front retractable seat belt length. Reply with quote

I bought mine from www.seatbeltsplus.com, where you can choose a few lengths, colors, buckle lengths, etc.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 12:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Front retractable seat belt length. Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
we bought some gowesty ones and after using them decided we needed more so the driver could for example lean forward and reach the floor, glove box or latch on the passenger door without unbuckling. We went to the German manufacture and got a quote for a longer belt. They quoted a longer belt than gowesty sells but with the same mechanism. The only issue is that the manufacturer is not insured to sell directly to consumers in the USA so someone on the forum who lived in Germany bought them for me and shipped them from Germany to me. They are perfect. We tried one of the online shops here first but theirs are too flimsy. These belts that we ended up with from Germany are OEM belts on many cars. They are made by Carl Stahl,. Inc. They will only converse with you in German so you will have to translate the e-mails unless you speak German.

Here are some other threads:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/search.php?search..._chars=200

This is what you order and from whom for the Carl Stahl seatbelts.

(2 pieces ea) Length - 780K style belt 3600 mm cutting length of webbing (black)
(2 pieces ea) Cable buckles 300 mm long

They cost:

Quote:
As already mentioned one belt 780K/300 cutting length of webbing 3600mm, including cable buckle 300mm and fixation parts (screws, washers etc) will cost net Euro 47,50 (x 2) = Euro 95,00 + Euro 2,00 packaging flat rate + Euro 4,10 shipping to Stuttgart = total net Euro 101,10 + VAT 19% =Euro 120,21.

islandtime
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 4:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Front retractable seat belt length. Reply with quote

I have been tied up with work and another car of mine and haven't had a chance to install them. I will get one side installed this weekend and post some pictures. My apologies for the delay.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: