Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

pop top strap
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
sgraham602
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 10:10 pm    Post subject: pop top strap Reply with quote

I seem to recall seeing a strap (like the kid you use to ratchet luggage to a roof) that was designed to attach to the roof of a Westfalia to help hold the pop top shut. Does anyone know where I can find one of these?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tom Powell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 1:19 am    Post subject: Re: pop top strap Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

If I recall the strap and hooks came in one package from FLAPS and a ratchet came from another package. Used with the ratchet this makes a good solution for a rattling poptop. Secure it so it doesn't get lost on the freeway and don't overtighten with the ratchet and pull off the rain gutters. It fits right behind the passenger door and goes into a groove in the poptop. It also keeps warm air in and cold air out.

Aloha
tp
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sgraham602
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 10:40 am    Post subject: Re: pop top strap Reply with quote

That's what I was thinking of. I wonder if any flat hook tie down strap would work.
Tom Powell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 11:08 am    Post subject: Re: pop top strap Reply with quote

sgraham602 wrote:
That's what I was thinking of. I wonder if any flat hook tie down strap would work.

Most likely they would. The strap I have has a vinyl coating on the hooks which protects the paint. If you can't find vinyl coated flat hooks, there is vinyl coating compound at FLAPS. The narrow webbing and ratchet may be a bit difficult to find.

Aloha
tp
a-marshal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 11:32 am    Post subject: Re: pop top strap Reply with quote

I made one from some hooks and strapping from the local hardware store... the strap was elastic enough that I didn't need a ratchet.

That being said after I replaced the pop-top seal and hold downs I didn't need my strap anymore.
camit34
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 12:00 pm    Post subject: Re: pop top strap Reply with quote

I have some "hold downs" (not sure of the name since it was my uncle that installed them back in the 70's) that I use to hold the top down. I'll take a pic or 2 tonight and upload them so you can see what I'm talking about.

Last edited by camit34 on Wed Aug 31, 2016 11:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 1:55 pm    Post subject: Re: pop top strap Reply with quote

Go on Amazon and type in "rubber hold down strap" from about $5 - $14. Just mount inside like the original.
Tom Powell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 2:36 pm    Post subject: Re: pop top strap Reply with quote

a-marshal wrote:
... That being said after I replaced the pop-top seal and hold downs I didn't need my strap anymore.

I use my '69 camper for ski trips and have replaced the poptop seal and OG hold downs. The strap makes the seal sit tighter and less cold air gets in while on the road. It's a worthwhile hack just for the added warmth.

Aloha
tp
sgraham602
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 6:47 pm    Post subject: Re: pop top strap Reply with quote

total noob question alert... what is FLAPS?
sgraham602
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 6:49 pm    Post subject: Re: pop top strap Reply with quote

Starbucket wrote:
Go on Amazon and type in "rubber hold down strap" from about $5 - $14. Just mount inside like the original.

I was planning on doing that, probably adding some closer to the sides to make sure it seals. However, I'm driving a westafalia from FL to NC on friday and want to make sure the top doesn't get damaged during the drive (its missing the seals and protrudes slightly on the drivers side)
Tom Powell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 7:19 pm    Post subject: Re: pop top strap Reply with quote

sgraham602 wrote:
total noob question alert... what is FLAPS?

F...... Local Auto Parts Store

Smile Rolling Eyes Smile

Aloha
tp
camit34
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 7:54 pm    Post subject: Re: pop top strap Reply with quote

These are on the outside near the front, one on each side.

These are on the inside and I think they are stock.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sgraham602
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 5:00 pm    Post subject: Re: pop top strap Reply with quote

Ended up getting some rubber straps to install on the inside of the pop top. How would it be recommended to attach them? I don't want to use screws that are too long.

These are the straps I got.

http://www.busdepot.com/231068013a
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: