Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Possible Vacuum Leak?
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jl_1303
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 5:35 pm    Post subject: Possible Vacuum Leak? Reply with quote

Long story.

I imported my Type1 back to Sydney after it had been in Hong Kong for the last 20 years.

Right before I put it in a container for the shipment, car was running fine and powerful, except 2 issues. The oil temp would rise to about 235F after a long run (about 1 hr or so) or highway run (I left the heater hole on the breast plate that allowed the warm air to be sucked back into the fan and such, my bad), and a slight clutch chatter.

When the car arrived, the Quarantine people insisted on a wet wash disinfect on the car, before it could be release. When I received the car, water patches are literally everywhere inside. The car would not start for some reasons. I had to replace the starter motor to get the car started. Apparently, the one in the car was damaged by water somehow.

Long story short, I attempted to start the motor but it would not start until after about 10 mins. Before the motor started, I could see some splashes of water coming out from the exhaust. After some cranking, the motor eventually started. It idled well and would rev up, but it does not have power when driven. It just would not rev high under load.

I know I could spray some carb cleaner to see if there are indeed leaks around the intakes. I have yet gotten to that as I have run out of carb cleaner when I went to start the motor the last time. I am planing to be there in a few days and would like to see your opinions if this is a possible intake leak or it could be other issues. Thank you all.
jason
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 5:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Possible Vacuum Leak? Reply with quote

Sounds like your container leaked. Drain the oil yet? Maybe water in it. Change plugs, oil and check ignition for moisture. If your starter was under water, Im sure your motor was also. The rear pulley would let the water in easily. Maybe you should be talking to the shipper. I dont even want to think what salt water soak would do to the insides.

It could also be the disinfectant being sprayed everywhere. Probably all over the motor. Your bug doesnt like bug spray.
jl_1303
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 6:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Possible Vacuum Leak? Reply with quote

I believe it is not leaking when the car was being transported in the container. I think it was the water splashes when the car was in the disinfection process, as required by the Quarantine.

However, you are right in the sense that I should change the motor oil ASAP.
jl_1303
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 6:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Possible Vacuum Leak? Reply with quote

Any other opinions?
Multi69s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 10:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Possible Vacuum Leak? Reply with quote

Generally, a vacuum leak will have its worst result at an idle (rough or won't). Did you dump all of the gas from the tank? Gas is hydroscopic, so it might be a combination of old gas combining with some ingredient from the wash.
Gone but not forgotten 72 Baja Bug 2010
My builds
T4 into Squareback http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=458944&highlight=
Auto Trans Rebuild http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=516066&highlight=
AC in Squareback https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
jl_1303
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 2:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Possible Vacuum Leak? Reply with quote

I did not think of the fuel being contaminated. I have always been thinking that since I had water splashes coming out of the exhaust when I tried crank start the engine, the water would likely find its way into the combustion chamber via the intake where it meets the head. In that respect, I suspected intake leaks.

That said, if intake leaks would affect idle mostly, I would tend to think otherwise as my idle is reasonable stable, at about just less than 900rpm.

What else could it be?
Multi69s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 3:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Possible Vacuum Leak? Reply with quote

Your exhaust may be full of the decontamination mixture
Gone but not forgotten 72 Baja Bug 2010
My builds
T4 into Squareback http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=458944&highlight=
Auto Trans Rebuild http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=516066&highlight=
AC in Squareback https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 3:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Possible Vacuum Leak? Reply with quote

Did you remove the spark plugs to see if it was somehow hydrolocked before you replaced the starter?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jl_1303
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 4:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Possible Vacuum Leak? Reply with quote

Randy in Maine wrote:
Did you remove the spark plugs to see if it was somehow hydrolocked before you replaced the starter?

As a matter of fact, I did not. I will get to that next I suppose.
Howard 111
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 6:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Possible Vacuum Leak? Reply with quote

Assume everything got soaked. Change oil, dump all the gas, new plugs, new dizzy cap, everything that may have had contact with water. You will get it going again, then take it for a nice long drive to evaporate any water in bad places.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: