Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Type 3 Registry - On its Own Now!
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
SquareD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 12:03 pm    Post subject: Type 3 Registry - On its Own Now! Reply with quote

I have setup the Type 3 Registry as its own Domain and it is now separate from my own personal site. This will allow the Registry to have its own identity.

http://www.type3registry.com/

I will still allow the current bookmarked links from the previous configuration to remain active for the next few months (so you won't get that awful message - Page Not Found), but will set them up to direct you to the new site.

Please let me know if you have any questions or comments.

Thanks,

Dennis
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
raru
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice work dennis, i'll update the link from the club site.... almost done!
95 Jetta
98 323is
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Kenaneu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice! I'll have to add my 68 square tonight!
Air-Cooled Head
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dennis,
I/we salute you!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TheDDB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dennis-
I added a few today... Confused
as i find more vins i will add them..

Home of the only bolt on type 3 air ride kit
http://www.theDDB.com

Its a type 3 thing, so you might not understand
Yes I Walk the Walk
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SquareD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Martin, a few? 11 by my count. Thanks, I appreciate your taking the time to add these cars.

And thanks again to all the rest of you who have added your car(s). I will continue to work on the Registry; i've got a list of things I want to do, but it all takes time. It looks like we are not too far from what I consider the first milestone for the Registry - reaching 260 cars, which is 0.01% of the cars produced (2.6 Million).

Dennis
Barter_Builder
69 FI/AC

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why would someone not want to post there complete vin #? Was I wrong to show my entire vin?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SquareD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The VIN that is used for the Type 3 does not convey any information about the car other then the model and year (starting with the 1965 models), and a 6-digit serial number. Sometime around 1980, the VIN's changed to be much longer and started including more information about the car. The VIN's for some new cars can even be used to order a key for the car.

There is no worry about the VIN being used for anything like that for a Type 3. However, in the times we live in now, some people prey on the identity and information of others. Because of this, it has caused concern about how much information to broadcast about yourself, and some people would prefer not to display the full VIN. If desired, I can also blur their license plate if they desire.

With the VIN on display on the dash pad of my car, as required by law, I have chosen to show the full VIN for my car. But this choice should, and does, reside with each person who includes their car in the Registry. The important thing is that we include the cars.

I hope this helps those who are not sure about the VIN being shown or blocked. Even though it is necessary for you to include the full VIN when you submit your car, the last 3-digits will be blocked if you choose that option.

Thanks again,

Dennis
Russ Wolfe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The disadvantage of blocking the portion of the VIN, makes it so no one can search for a specific VIN number. To maybe see the history of a car they are considering purchasing.
In the T-34 registry, they do show the complete VIN. An example, the front clip I just got for my Ghia, still had the VIN tag in the wheel well. So, I checked it on the T-34 registry, and found what the original color was.
I registered the front clip with the T-3 Registry. Without the full VIN, if the person that wants to register the pan would not know it was already registered.

Gary: OK. Ima poop.
SquareD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another point to consider is that the Registry only tracks the location of the car to a State (for Australia, Canada, and the US) or Country. This would make it almost impossible for anyone to locate a specific car based on the the information that is listed in the Registry.

Most of the concern about VIN's has occured because of problems with the newer VIN's. The Type 3 VIN's would not compromise their owners in that manner.

The option to block the last 3-digits is provided for those who are not comfortable showing the full VIN. My own personal recommendation is to show the full VIN in the Registry, as I have for my car. I am not aware of anything a person can do with a Type 3 VIN, and the information listed in the Registry, other then maybe order a Birth Certificate from Volkwagen.

Thanks again,

Dennis
Anniehum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We're in...
Cheers
jaransonT3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 9:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 3 Registry - On its Own Now! Reply with quote

Hey Dennis -

Thanks for creating and perpetuating the Type 3 Registry. Good job.

Have you posted the info about the registry on vwtype3.org? I don't remember ever seeing it there. If not, you should. Not all the List folks frequent the Samba.

I know, hard to believe, but it is true. <G>
'69 Square
'70-1 Fasty
https://www.carartbyjohn.com
https://www.carartbyjohn.com/2024Invasion/
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
SquareD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks

I have just subscribed to the vwtype3 mailing list, so I can post there.

And thanks again to all those who have already included their cars. And for those of you who have not, this weekend would be the perfect time to go out and check your VIN, snap a photo if you don't have one already, and add your car to the Registry.

http://www.type3registry.com/

Dennis
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: