Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Got my 412 inspected
Forum Index -> 411/412 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kharon8
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 7:06 am    Post subject: Got my 412 inspected Reply with quote

That's always a happy occasion. Smile

No notes booked either ("repair this and this in a month") even windhield washer and horn didn't work. Rigorous inspector, noticed both and even checked that seat belts work and of course said that hey, these do not work.

Horn hasn't been working since I swapped the steering column (hadn't had time to troubleshoot yet) and windhield washer was working in June, no idea what is the problem now.

But the 412 is street legal until October 2017 now, that's the main thing.

It has been really fun to drive, farthest to Bug In Finn at Ruovesi, about 170 miles/270km from here. No problems at all. Real lazy man VW if any, 412 automatic with very comfortable suspension.

Some minor repairs done, too, summer holiday special (unfortunately it ended already ... holidays are always too short):

- Fuel hoses were leaking (poor quality hose had disintegrated), swapped
- Carburetor top end gaskets made and swapped, no leaks now
- Float chamber needle valve stuck (only the other, fortunately), gasoline everywhere, cleaned it and seems to hold now
- Other inlet plastic gasket swapped as the old literally crumbled away when I removed the carburetor, no wonder it had an intake leak causing very poor idle. Nice and solid idle now, not wasted work.
- Attached wire back to the choke heater ... no wonder it was using a lot of gas: the other choke flap was never opening properly as heating element wasn't powered at all
- Air filter quite clogged, removed it and ordered a new one

Last edited by Kharon8 on Tue Aug 16, 2016 7:17 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 7:11 am    Post subject: Re: Got my 412 inspected Reply with quote

Congratulations!.....yes......in so many ways the 411 and 412 were just about the most well mannered of a of the aircooled cars with the type 3 in close second.

Much less to pay attention to...and with a comfortable ride, very comfortable seats.....and automatic (though I like my four speed better).....and enough room to stretch out......ot can be a "lazy" ride with refernce to other ACVW. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Kharon8
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 7:19 am    Post subject: Re: Got my 412 inspected Reply with quote

Oh yes, the leg room!

Or actually there being some as the others don't have much of it. Automatic of course helps a bit as one pedal less.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
chabanais
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 5:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Got my 412 inspected Reply with quote

I have been looking at this one about 7 hours from you:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1929931

I have a friend in your city. Always wanted to visit.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 8:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Got my 412 inspected Reply with quote

Wow!....thats a nice one!

Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Lars S
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 9:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Got my 412 inspected Reply with quote

Congrats to passed inspection Kharon8!
Yes legroom is great in the Type4, not to mention the headroom... Very Happy

Lars S
Suzuki T500, -69, Candy Gold, sold Sad
Suzuki K50, -77, Black, daily driver
BMW R69S -69, White, sold Sad
Husqvarna 118cc, -47, Black, Sold Sad
Kharon8
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 3:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Got my 412 inspected Reply with quote

chabanais wrote:
I have been looking at this one about 7 hours from you:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1929931

I have a friend in your city. Always wanted to visit.

Ooh, that's a nice 412.

I'm working for a company having headquarters in Oulu so I fly to there every few months for a day or two, but I don't dare to go to see this one, it looks too good.

Price isn't bad for a good 4xx, those aren't common here either.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> 411/412 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: