Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Rear brake lock
Forum Index -> 411/412 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
titan3c
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 3:27 pm    Post subject: Rear brake lock Reply with quote

Just had new brake hoses installed, and my right rear brake is locking up. Haven't discussed it yet with the mechanic. He is a competent mechanic, but I thought I would see what is said here first. I think this may have been happening before replacing the hoses. This car isn't driven much, but I do remember at times it seemed that I was pulling something.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you mean locking up while sitting still or locking up as you start braking?

If its doing this when start to brake...and only on one side.... its most probably either fluid soaked shoes, or a very warped drum (common if they have been replaced with new cast drums), or a combination of warpage and adjustment.......combined with......if its a wagon.....the lack of a brake proportioning unit on the wagons.

And....it can also commonly be air in the brake line copposite the side that is locking up. The air keeps the one side from getting any serious braking....so you keep increasing pedal pressure to get it to stop.....and without a brake proportioning valve the side with no air in it will over pressure and lock up. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
titan3c
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 3:48 am    Post subject: Rear brake lock Reply with quote

Don't know exactly when it locks up It is noticed when driving. Everything is fine when starting out, but after awhile the engine becomes to labor, and that's when it locks. Yesterday after it cooled down it released on it's own. I didn't check to see if the hand brake movement would release it(forgot that). Come to think of it this is not new----When just recently replacing CV joints and the car was up on stands, and the wheels were installed I ran it to check the CV joints and make sure all was OK. I discovered then that I had this problem. The right wheel was locked-up, and I think I released it with hand brake movement. Yesterday when driving from the shop it locked-up, and I hadn't used the hand brake so it doesn't appear to be a hand brake problem. The brake shoes are practically new, and cylinders also.

This car has the Pressure Regulator for the rear brakes.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have air or water or both in your lines. You may also have some slight warpage to the right drum and/or a difference in adjusting.

This is common. The shoes are probabapy adjusted slightly closer on the right side....but even if they are not......as the brakes heat up, the shoes expand slightly, the spacercbars expand slightly and abovd all...the air or water expands in that line segment causing the pistons in the cylinder to move.

There can also be some temporary issues with drag if one of your shoe return springs is loose or broken.

This can also be due to a sticking or rusted rear brake pressure regulator (very common). The practical life of these units is about two master cylinders worth. Virtually all of them you will find now are defective. Out of all of my years in working on 411/412....which is 1979 to now....I have only seen two working units on anything I have bought or fo7nd in the junkyard. I have rebuilt all the ones I drove on.....but had to literally have seals made. I used my last set of seals in 2000.
My car will be going to rear discs when it hits the road and I will be installing an aftermarket regulator.

The brakes on 411/412. Are difficult to bleed. They take bleeding, driving for a day or two....and then bleed again. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
titan3c
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 7:13 am    Post subject: Rear brake lock Reply with quote

Ok, thanks. I just went out to the shop, and jacked up the rear end. I worked the hand brake, and it braked, and released as it should. Then I applied pressure on the foot brake, and the right rear locked up. It is tight, and can't be moved by hand. I'm getting suspicious of the pressure regulator. I haven't pulled the wheel and drum yet to take a look.
titan3c
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 7:46 am    Post subject: Rear brake lock Reply with quote

Have you researched yet enough to determine what pressure regulator you plan to use? I will do some more bleeding of the line to the left rear to make sure there is no air or water there. But I'm really thinking it will turn out to be the regulator. This morning when I checked it, the car hadn't been moved since yesterday afternoon. The engine and brakes were cool. I was able to roll it back and forth by hand in neutral. So heat is not an issue in the brakes, and the hand brake is working fine. So, it sure is pointing to the regulator as the problem. I suppose prior to getting a regulator I could rig a "T" connection to see what happens. Just a thought.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 10:27 am    Post subject: Re: Rear brake lock Reply with quote

titan3c wrote:
Have you researched yet enough to determine what pressure regulator you plan to use? I will do some more bleeding of the line to the left rear to make sure there is no air or water there. But I'm really thinking it will turn out to be the regulator. This morning when I checked it, the car hadn't been moved since yesterday afternoon. The engine and brakes were cool. I was able to roll it back and forth by hand in neutral. So heat is not an issue in the brakes, and the hand brake is working fine. So, it sure is pointing to the regulator as the problem. I suppose prior to getting a regulator I could rig a "T" connection to see what happens. Just a thought.

The T will work...fine....as the wagons just had a T. But....I always wondered at only 150 or so pounds heavier why VW thought that the wagon would not need one....unless they figured you would drive around with the back loaded all the time.

Just be careful without the regulator. The 411/412 sedan exhibits....911 characteristics at moderate to high speeds when braking in sweeping curves. The regulator is necessary.

I have not chosen one yet. There are a zillion to choose from at Summit racing and Jegs. My first choices would be those that have one inlet and two outlet with metric fittings....but I could easily go SAE fittings.

Just going off memory...but the rear system started regulating at about 570 psi.....so finding one that has good adjustability from say 450-700 psi would be the way to go.
You need one with infinite adjustability...not just say six clicks.

Stay within the known brands unless you read a good recommendation....brands like Raybestos, Wilwood, Tilton, Drake etc.

You can also go to a single inlet and outlet model and go to a Tee between the rear wheels.

Something as simple as this ..even though it has 1/8" NPT fittiings http://www.summitracing.com/parts/wil-260-8419/overview/

This one even has a brake light switch http://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-g3910/overview/
It has two inlets and three outlets. You plug those you dont want.

This one is nice like the Wilwood. It has a smaller range.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/til-90-2003/overview/

Typically with hydraulic valves you want one close to the range of pressure you are using so the the increments of adjustability are fine instead of big jumps. 100-1000 psi is more than you will ever need. Also some of the larger higher pressure valves are designed for larger lines and higher flow.

There are literally about 15 pages of valves on Summitt.

Ray
titan3c
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 8:04 pm    Post subject: Rear brake lock Reply with quote

Just learned something. I thought the regulator sent different pressure to the back brakes. Don't know where I got that idea. So----a single outlet regulator with a T to the back brakes is OK. Are connections both male and female available to adjust from the system mm size to npt outlets?
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 8:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear brake lock Reply with quote

titan3c wrote:
Just learned something. I thought the regulator sent different pressure to the back brakes. Don't know where I got that idea. So----a single outlet regulator with a T to the back brakes is OK. Are connections both male and female available to adjust from the system mm size to npt outlets?

The brake master cylinder sends the same pressure to the rears. The object is that when pressure reaches a certain point the brake pressure regulator prevents it from rising any higher by limiting its volume.

Many of the adds and texts mistakenly call a brake pressure regulator a brake bias valve. That is not true. They are different things.

Brake bias decides which pair of brakes starts braking first...front or rear. This is controlled by the spring rates of the springs on each master cylinder circuit.

For instance....the first piston that is pushed by the brake pedal may have a soft spring that allows the first poston to move a certain distance.....before it gains enough tension in the spring to start moving the 2nd/inner piston.....so whatever circuit that first piston is attached to starts its braking first.

This is why its a good bit of work to slam in any old master cylidner that fits whether it has the same stroke and diameter or not. It may end up activatjng the wrong circuit first.

I had this very problem while trying different types of culinders in the 412.

You can buy seperate valves and controls to control this. Racers many times do this in very simple mechanical ways by using a brake bias bar....and a seperate pair of master cylknders to power the front and rear. The bar is attached to the pedal pushrod......its adjusted to contact the pedal pushrod first on the circuit you want activated first.....further pedal movement then contacts the second bar and pushrod for the next circuit,wo its progressive abd adjustable. Ray
titan3c
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2015 6:59 am    Post subject: Rear brake lock Reply with quote

That's interesting. --------- I just pulled the right rear wheel, and drum, and everything looks normal. I applied brake pressure, and the shoes expanded and stayed put. If I disconnected the brake line from the regulator to the right wheel would that tell me anything? Would that be a good indicator that it is the regulator if the brake releases?
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2015 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It could be just a sticky wheel cylinder, air in the lines or .....it could even be too much tension or rust between the actuating lever, pin and crimped lockring of the emergency brake.
This same thing can happen when the cross bar or leverage bar near the top of the shoe set....is installed backwards and causing the shoes to sit too close to the backing plate causing them to lodge when actuated.

I would pull off both drums......shoes ....clean everything....make sure everything moves smoothly and is installed properly. Then make sure that the e-brake cables are not binding up in their tubes ....this can cause this as well.

Then re-assemble, adjust the e-brake and bleed the system again. If it still has this problem.....its most likely the regulator. Ray
titan3c
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2015 3:42 am    Post subject: Rear brake lock Reply with quote

Any suggestions on the "dos and don'ts" or techniques in adjusting the brake lines to fit a T connection or new regulator.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2015 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is going to take some tube bending.....and making sure you have the right thread or depth of fitting may end up keeping you from driving.....if it does not fit.

I would not bend the original lines too far......i have replaced a T in a wagon...mwith a regulator a long time ago and remember that it would have really mangled the lines. I believe i left the infeed line unbent, installed the T....and bought at least one piece of line at a flaps and just bent it to fit and kept the old lines i removed intact in case i needed to re-install. That was in tue 90s. I no longer have the car and part.

Have you re-bled the system yet?.....also one other thing to try.......is fo loosen the locknut on the regulator and with an allen key.....back pressure way off.....like about 4-5 turns. Count how many turns and mark it so you can get it back where it was. See if yhat breaks it loose. Ray
titan3c
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2015 6:30 am    Post subject: Rear brake lock Reply with quote

Good idea-----didn't know it had a allen adjustment screw. I see in the manual that it is on the end of the regulator. I had planned to loosen the brake line connection to see what happened, but this is much better.

If this releases the brake what does that tell us? Does that mean the regulator is the problem?
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2015 7:14 am    Post subject: Re: Rear brake lock Reply with quote

titan3c wrote:
Good idea-----didn't know it had a allen adjustment screw. I see in the manual that it is on the end of the regulator. I had planned to loosen the brake line connection to see what happened, but this is much better.

If this releases the brake what does that tell us? Does that mean the regulator is the problem?

Yes...usually its either the,cup or o ring disintegrating and blocking an outlet hole....or corrosion in the brass valve at the end or swelling of the nylson poppit valve sticking on one side. Ray
titan3c
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 4:09 am    Post subject: Rear brake lock Reply with quote

Well, I've got a story to tell. In the beginning of this problem I stated I just had the brake hoses replaced. There was a weird communication mixup with the mechanic which I won't go into----too long a story. Anyhow I discovered the rear brake hoses had not been replaced. I replaced the rear brake hose, and the lock up problem is resolved.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 7:22 am    Post subject: Re: Rear brake lock Reply with quote

titan3c wrote:
Well, I've got a story to tell. In the beginning of this problem I stated I just had the brake hoses replaced. There was a weird communication mixup with the mechanic which I won't go into----too long a story. Anyhow I discovered the rear brake hoses had not been replaced. I replaced the rear brake hose, and the lock up problem is resolved.

Laughing Very Happy .....if we had not thought...as you did....that the hoses had been replaced.......the hoses would have been the first suggestion!

Still.....a couple things to be sure of.....type 4 cars are difficult to bleed. Be sure you drive it around a while a bleed the complete system at least twice more over a couple weeks. Usually by the last time it will still surprise you with a little bit of air.

Also....eventually installing a rear brake pressure regulator is an excellent idea. I used to drive my wagons just like my sedans.....and it makes a difference especially on wet streets.

Also while you are under there......notice that the wagons....come with no rear sway bar installed.....and all of the threaded bolt holes and the outer link holes are already in the suspension members. Its a one hour bolt up process if you find a sway bar in thr junkyard from a 411 or 412. Ray
Methusela Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 10:41 am    Post subject: Re: Rear brake lock Reply with quote

I have a dead pressure regulator and plan on replacing it with one of the adjustable units from Summit that Ray recommends -- but I have a question:

Since the adjustable unit won't have a built-in gauge to tell me what psi it's set to, I assume that after installing it I'll need to take the car to a brake shop to have them set the pressure regulator at, say, 570psi...right?

Otherwise, how else to set the thing so that I'll know it's at the right psi?
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 10:51 am    Post subject: Re: Rear brake lock Reply with quote

Methusela wrote:
I have a dead pressure regulator and plan on replacing it with one of the adjustable units from Summit that Ray recommends -- but I have a question:

Since the adjustable unit won't have a built-in gauge to tell me what psi it's set to, I assume that after installing it I'll need to take the car to a brake shop to have them set the pressure regulator at, say, 570psi...right?

Otherwise, how else to set the thing so that I'll know it's at the right psi?

No....that pressure may or may not be correct any longer with the new regulator depending on how it works.

Really the best way to set this up is on a long flat empty parking lot. Give it just a little adjustment...get up to about 45-50 mph and SLAM on the brakes. Be wary that the rears may lock up.

Make sure you have enough room ahead of you to instantly drop your foot off the brake when it locks up to keep the rear from slewing around on you. Then slow down gradually. Get out and make another adjustment.....repeat...until yu have no lock ups in the rear from panic stops.

Also bear in mind...that the book rating of 570 psi...is only good for the width and tread technology of the tires they tested it with. You are most probably running on something far different than what came from the factory. Better tread width and traction can handle more pressure before lock up.

Once you have it adjusted...come back to the parking lot on the first wet weather/rain day and repeat. If it locks up on wet pavement...reduce pressure slightly and test again. Ray
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> 411/412 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: