Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

I spotted a 912 in a backyard... Longish story
Forum Index -> Porsche - 911/912/914 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Thebigdirty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 8:27 pm    Post subject: I spotted a 912 in a backyard... Longish story Reply with quote

My sister bought a house recently. Day she closed I went over and started remodeling it. Across the street I noticed a car under a tarp, peeking out were porsche wheels. I don't know much, if anything about porsche cars but knew it was probably a 912. So couple weeks go by and she ends up meeting the neighbor and mentioned that I was interested in what was under the tarp. He tells her its a 67 912, it was his moms car, she gave it to his son and they had driven it up here from Ca. about 10 years ago. Been sitting for about 5 years, and prob wanted 1500 or 2000$. Couple days later I drop by and chat a little and go look at it. Tell him I'm def interested and to give me a call when he comes up with a price. So a week goes by and I get a message from him, 1800 and its yours! Next day I showed up with cash and a trailer. It has a bit of damage to the drivers door, and pillar but is fixable. Have an appointment at a friends body shop to pull out the damage. Most if not all parts are there, they had started to "restore" the car 5 years ago. Like most it went nowhere and everything found is pictured. I have been doing some research here but still have a ton of questions. Any advice or pointers would be appreciated.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 8:48 am    Post subject: Re: I spotted a 912 in a backyard... Longish story Reply with quote

thats a steal - congrats. Keep us posted on your progress!
Tom_Kathleen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 9:40 am    Post subject: Re: I spotted a 912 in a backyard... Longish story Reply with quote

The way things are now, that price should have had another "zero" in it!!! Tom
Manxter #16, 1968 Meyers Manx & Kick-Out SS #16 (WIP)
Manx Club & CVA
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 2:21 pm    Post subject: Re: I spotted a 912 in a backyard... Longish story Reply with quote

The motor alone is worth $5000 and could get probably about the same selling the parts and body pieces. Keep it and cherry it out because old Porsches are increasing in value by the min. and you will never lose a dime. Make sure you get collector car insurance so it is covered for the real value.
Thebigdirty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 9:23 pm    Post subject: Re: I spotted a 912 in a backyard... Longish story Reply with quote

Appreciate the positive advice. Mostly wanted to show that there are still deals out there for those who truly are into these cars. I'm sure if I can stumble across one for a good deal then somebody who knows what they're looking for will. It seems ridiculous what the prices are for total rust bucket piles of junk.
60's Burnout
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2016 10:57 pm    Post subject: Re: I spotted a 912 in a backyard... Longish story Reply with quote

I'm in the SF Bay Area; my neighbor bought just a body shell 912 about 10 years ago, and I think that was about $2k. Nothing else, just the shell. You really need to get waaaayyyy back up in the hills to find the barn finds; closer to civilization everybody knows what they're worth.

My aunt had a new '66 912, her husband got tired up dropping the motor ever year or so and replacing the oil cooler seals. So they sold it and got a new 240Z. Typical Jap car, nothing ever broke on that...
SBD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2016 11:30 pm    Post subject: Re: I spotted a 912 in a backyard... Longish story Reply with quote

60's Burnout wrote:
So they sold it and got a new 240Z. Typical Jap car, nothing ever broke on that...
Eh? Where's the fun in that? Confused

mark tucker wrote:
I wouldent waste $ or thyme on building a small motor. build it big so it dosent have to work hard.remember it's only as fast as your foot alows it to be unless you build a small turd then it just stinks as it squishes up through your toes when you step on it.
joey1320
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2016 1:50 pm    Post subject: Re: I spotted a 912 in a backyard... Longish story Reply with quote

Wow what a deal. Great score!
gregaz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 4:26 pm    Post subject: Re: I spotted a 912 in a backyard... Longish story Reply with quote

You definitely got a STEAL! Congrats!

Be sure to check out this site - THE definitive 912 resource.

http://www.912bbs.org
oldbusboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 3:12 pm    Post subject: Re: I spotted a 912 in a backyard... Longish story Reply with quote

Whats new on your 912?

Trevor
Thebigdirty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 8:11 pm    Post subject: Re: I spotted a 912 in a backyard... Longish story Reply with quote

Haven't made much progress, been a busy winter. Got the quarter panel pulled out, but I need to find a replacement. Any advice on a source? Also a better drivers door. Need to figure out an ignition key. Is there a code on the ignition like the oval bugs?
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 9:27 am    Post subject: Re: I spotted a 912 in a backyard... Longish story Reply with quote

Ill give you $2500 for it Shocked Wink good eyes.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Porsche - 911/912/914 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: