Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

If I pull the fenders off how do I get smooth inner fenders?
Forum Index -> Other VW Vehicles/Volksrods Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
chrisarnt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 5:28 am    Post subject: If I pull the fenders off how do I get smooth inner fenders? Reply with quote

I just picked up a baja and I don't like the way the PO trimmed the fenders.
So I was thinking of rocking it no fenders for a while.

If I pull the fenders off how do I get smooth inner fenders?

Are they just available?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tattooed_pariah
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 2:15 pm    Post subject: Re: If I pull the fenders off how do I get smooth inner fenders? Reply with quote

http://www.volksrods.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9871

how to here Smile

"Never worry about stepping on people's toes. People who get their toes stepped on are either sitting down, or standing still on the job."
-Admiral Arleigh Burke, USN(ret.)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
chrisarnt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 5:39 pm    Post subject: Re: If I pull the fenders off how do I get smooth inner fenders? Reply with quote

tattooed_pariah wrote:

how to here Smile

Thank you, but the link requires I join.

Can you send a link to the page?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
chrisarnt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 6:28 pm    Post subject: Re: If I pull the fenders off how do I get smooth inner fenders? Reply with quote

chrisarnt wrote:
tattooed_pariah wrote:

how to here Smile

Thank you, but the link requires I join.

Can you send a link to the page?

OK. I joined... but I lack the privileges to follow that link. Maybe tomorrow.
tattooed_pariah
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 2:57 am    Post subject: Re: If I pull the fenders off how do I get smooth inner fenders? Reply with quote

sorry, I didn't know non-members couldn't see it Sad

It's a quick how-to on shaping sheet metal to create a smooth area behind the tire..

"Never worry about stepping on people's toes. People who get their toes stepped on are either sitting down, or standing still on the job."
-Admiral Arleigh Burke, USN(ret.)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
chrisarnt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 4:57 am    Post subject: Re: If I pull the fenders off how do I get smooth inner fenders? Reply with quote

tattooed_pariah wrote:
sorry, I didn't know non-members couldn't see it Sad

It's a quick how-to on shaping sheet metal to create a smooth area behind the tire..

So I take it there is no product I can buy.
I doubt I have time to do this myself, though I haven't seen instructions.

OK.
I joined and when I can I will look at it.

Let me ask you though.
Other than the smooth inners and the lights, what things am I not anticipating in turning the Baja into a basic fenderless rod?

the old cop spot lights on each side by each door. If I can get them bright enough I might rock just those as headlights.

Maybe some 1930s spoked rims down the road.
eyetzr Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 8:04 am    Post subject: Re: If I pull the fenders off how do I get smooth inner fenders? Reply with quote

there was a guy selling inner fender liners out of fiberglass for the VW roadster look. When I looked for another product he was offering the site was down.
chrisarnt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 8:12 am    Post subject: Re: If I pull the fenders off how do I get smooth inner fenders? Reply with quote

eyetzr wrote:
there was a guy selling inner fender liners out of fiberglass for the VW roadster look. When I looked for another product he was offering the site was down.

Thank you.
Keep me posted.

I don't have the time to fabricate stuff, though I've always wanted to.
nshaddox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 9:00 am    Post subject: Re: If I pull the fenders off how do I get smooth inner fenders? Reply with quote

lots of people use old fenders and cut/weld them in to smooth out the fenderwell. also pre 61 bugs had smooth fenderwells up front straight from the factory.
chrisarnt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 10:56 am    Post subject: Re: If I pull the fenders off how do I get smooth inner fenders? Reply with quote

nshaddox wrote:
lots of people use old fenders and cut/weld them in to smooth out the fenderwell. also pre 61 bugs had smooth fenderwells up front straight from the factory.

I guess that would be an option. Maybe I could buy those sections.

I'm not gonna learn to weld just yet. That would be a job for my body man...

Good tip.
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 11:38 am    Post subject: Re: If I pull the fenders off how do I get smooth inner fenders? Reply with quote

One way is to start with a '60 or older body that came with smooth front inner fender wells.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Other VW Vehicles/Volksrods All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: