Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

changing front shocks 74 thing
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
toritripp
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 10:33 am    Post subject: changing front shocks 74 thing Reply with quote

does the thing need to be jacked up and wheels off to change out the shocks or can the car be on the ground? Looking at it it looks as thought I could do it with the car on the ground.

I am a novice and new to thing world trying to do some things myself.

thanks for any help or links to video to assist.
GI Joe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 5:59 pm    Post subject: Re: changing front shocks 74 thing Reply with quote

Should be able to do it on the ground..
I'd lift up on the front bumper to get the shocks unloaded at least... Less compression to get the new ones to fit that way as well..
Wink
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8080337#8080337
www.NLEOMF.com
Respect, Honor, Remember
ecopine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 3:34 pm    Post subject: Re: changing front shocks 74 thing Reply with quote

Do the shocks from a beetle work on my Thing?
GI Joe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 5:42 pm    Post subject: Re: changing front shocks 74 thing Reply with quote

Yes.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8080337#8080337
www.NLEOMF.com
Respect, Honor, Remember
limon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 10:34 am    Post subject: Re: changing front shocks 74 thing Reply with quote

I changed my front shocks yesterday; lower bushings were "welded".

I'd sprayed with lube and removed the front tires.

Cut horizontally into bushing with a Harbor F vibrating saw as close to end as I could get.

Chiseled to spread it open and then unscrewed with a wrench.

A pipe wrench worked best for me because I could grip the bushing without squeezing it.

Good thing nobody's paying me by the hour.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
randybriscoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2016 12:10 pm    Post subject: Re: changing front shocks 74 thing Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The "bump" stop is the only difference in the Bug vs Thing shock install. Probably the valving was different in the original shocks too. Above is a picture of them side by side (the dust guard / travel stop assemble). We also had to cut off our shock bushing.
kubelmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 8:45 am    Post subject: Re: changing front shocks 74 thing Reply with quote

Good job staying clear of the stud shaft and threads... Save the cut off bushing.. I have a pile of them in one tool box. You know you are a VW type when you have a pile of these sleeves you have gently forced from the shock mount stud.... Famous VW question. Why did they put the wrong sized bushing on the bottom of my front Thing shock???? PB blaster, chisel, pipe wrench, torch, vinyl hammer. big flat blade screw driver. Milwaukee Hackzall™ with short, fine, thin M12 metal blade....patience, time and so on. Most corrosion happens right where gravity sends it.. Top of the parts ~~like new ~~ bottom ~~~~dust in the wind.....
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
HMVWNAB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 4:59 am    Post subject: Re: changing front shocks 74 thing Reply with quote

Dremel tool with cutting disc works great too.
kubelmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 6:58 am    Post subject: Re: changing front shocks 74 thing Reply with quote

Yes! The bigger battery Dremel (Model 8220 12 volt) are the best for cutting off stuck bolts or slicing the shock bushing and other tough rusted or jammed parts. I removed a rusted exhaust with the Dremel recently. It took less that 5 minutes with no sweat or mess.. This tool is somewhat forgiving as a slip with the rotary blade if you are mindful will do little or no damage to the remaining parts
HMVWNAB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 12:54 pm    Post subject: Re: changing front shocks 74 thing Reply with quote

Actually used my small hobby Dremel to cut off the sleeves using the quarter sized cut off wheels. They are like 10 for 5 bucks at Lowes. Small and compact and easy to maneuver👍
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: