Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Best Source for Replacement Brake Shoes?
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
wbailey2112
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 5:21 am    Post subject: Best Source for Replacement Brake Shoes? Reply with quote

I have no idea when the brake shoes were last replaced on my '74 Thing. I am currently having no braking issues however I'd liked to be prepared when the day comes and I need to replace the shoes. The Thing Shop, West Coast Metric, CIP and some others all seem to carry replacement shoes and hardware kits at very different prices.

Can anyone recommend one source over another? I know that these are all aftermarket shoes and hardware so the I'm sure that the quality of the parts varies but does one of these sources (or perhaps one that I did not list) offer better quality shoes?

BTW, I have no plans to convert to disc brakes now or in the future since I like to keep my Thing as close to original as possible.
lqqkatjon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 10:59 am    Post subject: Re: Best Source for Replacement Brake Shoes? Reply with quote

I bought mine from thingparts.com.

He took the time to call, talk to me, and get me everything I needed for my brake rehab. and prices were what I would say are reasonable.

now i just need to get the job done at some point.
ente_kaefer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 1:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Best Source for Replacement Brake Shoes? Reply with quote

lqqkatjon wrote:
I bought mine from thingparts.com.

He took the time to call, talk to me, and get me everything I needed for my brake rehab. and prices were what I would say are reasonable.

now i just need to get the job done at some point.
I recommend ThingParts.com, Mike is a great guy to deal with, and ships *fast* !!
citroen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 2:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Best Source for Replacement Brake Shoes? Reply with quote

Most parts houses have all the brake parts that you need and with a life time warranty The Domeck Brothers get theirs at O'Reilly's or The Thing Shop and with a local shop if you get the wrong parts it is easy to replace them.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wbailey2112
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 5:29 am    Post subject: Re: Best Source for Replacement Brake Shoes? Reply with quote

Thanks for all of the replies both here and privately. I've decided to order some Wagner sets via a local auto parts chain where I can get the limited lifetime warranty on them and return them if they don't prove to be the correct fit.

I was able to meet Mike at Kubel Treffen East a couple months ago and purchased quite a few bits and pieces from him. Good guy and a great resource for parts. He's a one man operation that's definitely dedicated to the restoration and preservation of Things.
[email protected] Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 4:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Best Source for Replacement Brake Shoes? Reply with quote

Thank you for the kind words, much appreciated!
CALL 518 630 0173
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: