Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Plating Magnesium
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
gimmesomeshelter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 11:40 am    Post subject: Plating Magnesium Reply with quote

We've all read about the DOW conversion coatings for magnesium. I find the look attractive, but it isn't very durable. Here's a guy who went the extra mile! These magnesium manifolds have flash copper over the bare magnesium, followed by cad, followed by a yellow chromate dip. The idea they patina without corroding the magnesium.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

For those of you who like a little bling, here's a magnesium fan assembly in electroless nickel.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Cheers,

Paul

Richard Feynman
gimmesomeshelter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 9:35 am    Post subject: Re: Plating Magnesium Reply with quote

Here's the response I received from Millennium Plating about plating my NOS case:

Quote:
Hi Paul,

I don’t think plating is the way to go for your project. There are a number of reasons why it would not be a good idea.

1. The engine block is cast and porosity will cause big problems when trying to plate

2. The casting is of an unknown alloy. Different alloys behave differently in the plating process and have different requirements

3. The electroless nickel process we use requires a copper underplate. It would be impossible to get electric current into the inside of the block or in very deep recesses

4. The coating that is currently on it would need to be removed, and we do not know what that coating is

It looks like the outside is coated with some type of chromate conversion coating. There is a brush on treatment that can fix areas that are exposed to prevent corrosion called DOW 19. This you can make with 1.33 oz/gallon chromic acid and 1 oz/gallon of calcium sulfate (plaster of paris). Mix this solution vigorously. Clean and sand or magic eraser the area to be treated and apply with a brush at room temp or a little higher. Let it dry and then rinse the area.

The chromate will protect the outside of the block, and a light oil should protect the machined areas.

We have plated 911 fan housings in the past but the simple geometry makes this possible. Also, porosity is not as much of an issue like it would be on an engine block.

Hope this helps,

Stephen Rohrbacher
Millennium Plating Co., Inc.
(978) 454-0526
[email protected]

Cheers,

Paul

Richard Feynman
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: