Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Where to install a remote oil cooler
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mightymanx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 1:17 pm    Post subject: Where to install a remote oil cooler Reply with quote

I have a Manx I and have put a larger engine in it and now I have to install a remote oil cooler on it. My question is where do most people or where is the best place to put it. The cooler measures 10" x 11" x 4 1/4 " with the fan.
Letterman7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 3:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Where to install a remote oil cooler Reply with quote

Why do you think you need a larger cooler? 2.0L type 4's use a stock cooler (as an example)..
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 4:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Where to install a remote oil cooler Reply with quote

I run a 2276cc with 170 HP in my Karmann Ghia and I do not use an auxiliary oil cooler. Lets figure out why your engine is running hot.

Just curious how hot is the oil getting and how hot do you think it should be?
mightymanx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 5:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Where to install a remote oil cooler Reply with quote

When cruising at highway speeds the oil temperature on a 96 degree day runs a little over 200 degrees which I am ok with. When I am in stop and go traffic in town the temperatures will climb to around 240. When I leave town the the temperatures return back to around 200. My thought is that with the dune buggy body in traffic the hot air leaving the engine gets sucked back in by the fan unlike on the road the air is moving. On the regular vws the fan tends to pull cool air in all the time because of all the cooling tins.
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 4:52 am    Post subject: Re: Where to install a remote oil cooler Reply with quote

What weight oil do you run.

A Dunebuggy with the exposed engine will always run cooler then a Bug or Bus with the engine in an enclosed body.
mightymanx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 5:22 am    Post subject: Re: Where to install a remote oil cooler Reply with quote

I am running Valvoline VR1 30 weight. It is fine at highway speeds but in traffic and a lot of idling when there isn't any air moving around and under the body is when it gets hot. The body above the area where the fan intake does get pretty hot. You can put your hand on that area but after 10 seconds it gets uncomfortable. You can feel the hot air from the cylinders moving up and around the engine when it idles and gets trapped in that area. My thought was to put the remote cooler on with the fan which blows at a constant speed in an area so that it would take the air blowing through it cool the oil and also move that air out from under the body. The stock system doesn't seem to move the air from the stock cooler out from under the body when idling. I do have the larger diameter pulley and not a power pulley and the idle speed is 1000 rpms.
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 3:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Where to install a remote oil cooler Reply with quote

Post a few pictures. I'm not following your theory looking and at my Dunebuggy.

A lot of people mount their aux. oil cooler above the transaxle.
mightymanx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 5:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Where to install a remote oil cooler Reply with quote

I will try to get some pictures. I did try my theory out today. I let it idle for about 40 minutes with a small fan on to keep the air moving around the fan intake and the oil temp got a little over 180 and the head temp was around 284 (Dakota Digital). I turned the fan off for 10 minutes and the oil temp went to almost 220 and the head went to 300. So I turned the fan back on and the head temps went back to 284 in less than 5 minutes and the oil temp began to drop and was at 212 at the 5 minute mark and was still dropping.
You say that people mount them over the trans. Is that with a buggy body? Do they mount it to the body or make a mount attached to the pan?
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 6:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Where to install a remote oil cooler Reply with quote

mightymanx wrote:
I will try to get some pictures. I did try my theory out today. I let it idle for about 40 minutes with a small fan on to keep the air moving around the fan intake and the oil temp got a little over 180 and the head temp was around 284 (Dakota Digital). I turned the fan off for 10 minutes and the oil temp went to almost 220 and the head went to 300. So I turned the fan back on and the head temps went back to 284 in less than 5 minutes and the oil temp began to drop and was at 212 at the 5 minute mark and was still dropping.
You say that people mount them over the trans. Is that with a buggy body? Do they mount it to the body or make a mount attached to the pan?

I think you were cooling the sensors and not the heads or oil.... The changes in temperatures are to fast and to radical for the mass of heads and oil in motor.... Think I would want second test by independent meter with thermocouple directly in oil (down dip stick tube)...

Dale

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
BL3Manx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 10:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Where to install a remote oil cooler Reply with quote

Do you already have a dog house cooler?

Is there a good seal between your cooler and the shroud?

Do you have the lower shrouds installed which direct the air out the rear?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

If you have J tubes, have you added these?

This is the Gene Berg kit which allows a Type 4 cooler to be installed on a Type 1 engine

SamT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 7:36 am    Post subject: Re: Where to install a remote oil cooler Reply with quote

Are you running a "power pulley" that can cause some higher oil temps for sure with stock cooler.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=546712
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: