Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Just bought a fg Buggy, now what to do with it?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
SamT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 6:08 am    Post subject: Re: Just bought a fg Buggy, now what to do with it? Reply with quote

sbussard wrote:
I just caught up with all of the pages of pictures of your build. Impressive! I can't wait to see it all come together. Lots of little details that will make a great buggy.

Looking good!

Scott

Thanks! Its been a wild ride. As you can tell i started with no clear vision, zero vision when I bought it. I guess now Im just going with the flow. Jeep/rzr hybrid!
SamT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 8:39 am    Post subject: Re: Just bought a fg Buggy, now what to do with it? Reply with quote

Worked on my spindles before church. I still have to cut the old spindle off and then finish welding and do some bracing.

I protested buying the $300+ spindles and kinda stole the design on blind chicken. This one is 2.75" lift and 1.25 wider than stock. I'm not a perfectionist so I didnt jig it. I just eyeballed it off the old one. The adjuster should bale me out, but it looks real close.
If i set the timer after disassembling my old beam completely. To this point (including removing the extra spindles from a donor beam) i'm only in this 35 minutes. No doubt i will have an hour in them each when done.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

SamT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 3:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Just bought a fg Buggy, now what to do with it? Reply with quote

Before I get flamed I just finished one spindle (passenger).
It took 1 hour 20 min.

joescoolcustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 4:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Just bought a fg Buggy, now what to do with it? Reply with quote

Well, you put it on up-side-down.

Made you look!!! He He!

Nice work!

Everyone is gifted. Some just do not open the package.

Looks like it was painted with a live chicken,polished with a brick and buffed with a pine cone
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hillmotorsports
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 4:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Just bought a fg Buggy, now what to do with it? Reply with quote

10,000 starving comics in the world and we have to put up with Joe!

Worse, he even thinks he's funny.....

(With way more projects than spare time!)
SamT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 7:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Just bought a fg Buggy, now what to do with it? Reply with quote

joescoolcustoms wrote:

Made you look!!! He He!

Nice work!

My heart did come close to skipping a beat! I dont think i can cut it apart without ruining it! It has to be overkill.
joescoolcustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 9:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Just bought a fg Buggy, now what to do with it? Reply with quote

SamT wrote:
joescoolcustoms wrote:

Made you look!!! He He!

Nice work!

My heart did come close to skipping a beat! I dont think i can cut it apart without ruining it! It has to be overkill.

In town all week, shows at 7, 9 and 11.

Spindle looks very strong and well braced. Welds look good too. Your weak point is now the ball joints.

Several years ago when I was building my Oval Baja, I almost made a jig to raise spindles very similar to what you have done. But then stumbled onto a set of Thing arms and spindles super, super cheap. They were $ 50.00 at a swap meet in Farmington NC, and I almost wet myself. I bet I looked like I went into a seizure trying to hold some other parts in my arms while trying to get my wallet out to pay the man.

Everyone is gifted. Some just do not open the package.

Looks like it was painted with a live chicken,polished with a brick and buffed with a pine cone
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SamT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 8:05 am    Post subject: Re: Just bought a fg Buggy, now what to do with it? Reply with quote

Man guys I've taken quite the sabbatical this summer. Been putting new stringers and working the bugs out of a new to me boat. I couldn't have done it without what I learned doing glass work on this car.

I think I have finished welding on the chassis and now need to paint the bottom, before I flip it over.
The beam and components are all painted and ready for new ball joints.
I'm going to finish cleaning the garage and get started. It's been quite the headache moving the body from my toy hauler to the back porch everytime we go somewhere.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=546712
SamT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 8:13 am    Post subject: Re: Just bought a fg Buggy, now what to do with it? Reply with quote

Man guys I've taken quite the sabbatical this summer. Been putting new stringers and working the bugs out of a new to me boat. I couldn't have done it without what I learned doing glass work on this car.

I think I have finished welding on the chassis and now need to paint the bottom, before I flip it over.
The beam and components are all painted and ready for new ball joints.
I'm going to finish cleaning the garage and get started. It's been quite the headache moving the body from my toy hauler to the back porch everytime we go somewhere.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=546712
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: