Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Weight distribution change using 3x2 rear trailing arms.
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
paulsta
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 7:08 pm    Post subject: Weight distribution change using 3x2 rear trailing arms. Reply with quote

Hi, i have a full lenght FG buggy, 35in. rear wheels 30in. front wheels, 091 tranny, subaru engine.
When hard accelerating i have very little authority on steering.

I was wondering if i put 3x2 rear trailing arms, would i see a noticable difference in steering authority.

This buggy is driven 95% on road

Paul
jsturtlebuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 9:38 am    Post subject: Re: Weight distribution change using 3x2 rear trailing arms. Reply with quote

Yes using longer trailing arms in the rear will change weight bias, but how much do you need to keep front wheels on the ground can and will depend on many other things.
Such how much weight you already have in the front, and what kind of horsepower and torque the engine is putting out.
Do you have pictures of your buggy you can post so others can see what you have?
Motion Tire Motorsports
Having fun with Dune Buggies since 1970
Into Volkswagens since 1960
paulsta
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 12:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Weight distribution change using 3x2 rear trailing arms. Reply with quote

Hi, the only thing added to the front is an intercooler in wich i run the coolant into it, with the bracket, maybe adding 50lbs to the front.

The engine is 2.2L subaru turbo charged 15 psi. gut feeling around 225 hp and 225 torque.

As you can see, a lot of stuff hanging out the rear
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

jsturtlebuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 2:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Weight distribution change using 3x2 rear trailing arms. Reply with quote

With that kind of power and torque in a short wheel base buggy it is not going to be easy to keep front end down.
A weight bar up front or filling front bumper with lead is a couple of things I have known people to do.
Is your fuel tank up front?
Yes the adding of longer rear trailing arms will help. With a sand buggy I was building on the cheap, I did lengthen and strengthen stock trailing arms 2in and keeping it stock width. It has helped with keeping the front end down somewhat.
Nice looking buggy you have there.
Motion Tire Motorsports
paulsta
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 5:57 am    Post subject: Re: Weight distribution change using 3x2 rear trailing arms. Reply with quote

Hi, yes tank is up front.

I also thought of adding weight to the front, but it would have to be removable, since i drag race once or twice a year ( for fun with friends ).

I did the swing axle torsion bar conversion, do you thinck the stock swingaxle torsion bar will handle the 3x2 trailing arms.

Thanks for the compliment

Paul
jsturtlebuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 9:39 am    Post subject: Re: Weight distribution change using 3x2 rear trailing arms. Reply with quote

It would probably be wise to go with larger diameter torsion bar with the added leverage of a longer trailing arm.
Stock 21 3/4in length torsion bars are 22mm in diameter
I like using a longer torsion bar with longer trailing arms. It gives a more progressive feel.
I am using 26 9/16in long 22mm diameter torsion bars (stock for IRS suspension) on my 2in longer arms in my sand buggy. I have 33in tall tires on the back when not using paddle tires and have 1 1/2in clearance between the tire and spring plate snout.

With 35in tires it should still have clearance.
The stock IRS torsion bar is also 22mm in diameter for a type I. The type III used 23.5mm diameter torsion bars and the Porsche 924 used the same length with different diameters.
If you could find them it would be more than likely a cheaper way to go then spending money for aftermarket torsion bars.
On my other buggy with 3x3 arms and full length chassis I am using a 26 9/16in long, 26mm diameter torsion bar. This buggy weighs a lot more then my sand buggy.
Motion Tire Motorsports
paulsta
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 12:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Weight distribution change using 3x2 rear trailing arms. Reply with quote

Hi Joseph,
thanks for taking the time to give me all this info.

Paul
jsturtlebuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 1:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Weight distribution change using 3x2 rear trailing arms. Reply with quote

There is a lot more information available out there about setting up rear suspension.
The book, Prepping Baja Bugs and Buggies by Jeff Hibbard is good.
Sway Away (who makes torsion bars and other suspension parts) has information on line and in their catalog.
Knowing what your buggy weighs helps with knowing what you need for spring rate.
Motion Tire Motorsports
drumbum68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 4:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Weight distribution change using 3x2 rear trailing arms. Reply with quote

Nice buggy. Whatcha do'in to your vanagon?
paulsta
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 4:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Weight distribution change using 3x2 rear trailing arms. Reply with quote

Did a full teardown and getting it ready for repaint and change of color.

Once that is done redo the interior to have a full with bed.

Almost regretting having started,,,,,what a job.

Paul
paulsta
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 6:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Weight distribution change using 3x2 rear trailing arms. Reply with quote

Does anybody have experience with Appletree rear trailing arm.

Looking at this for my trailing arm, this is a buggy run mostly on the street.

http://www.appletreeauto.com/D.O.M-TRAILING-ARMS-2-X-3-PAIR-TA2X3/

Paul
SamT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 8:26 am    Post subject: Re: Weight distribution change using 3x2 rear trailing arms. Reply with quote

I think the longer arms will make a bigger difference than y'all are thinking. But yea your going to open a can of worms trying to tame the suspension with torsion bars.

It also doesn't take much weight up front to make a big difference. When I was doing some drag racing 10 or so years ago i ran this polished aluminum tube that clamped onto my beam with the billet clamps. It was cast full of lead 60 or so LB. it didn't keep me from doing a wheelie but it was a lot easier to control.

If your familiar with casting and smelting tire weights and stuff you could make something real heavy you can hide up front. Lead is about .4LB per square inch so 100# takes up almost no space.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=546712
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: