Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Ethanol vs. non-ethanol fuel
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bvanaken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 5:52 pm    Post subject: Ethanol vs. non-ethanol fuel Reply with quote

I have a 1967 ghia and it runs really well. The engine was rebuilt about 2 years ago. I only ethanol-free gas and it runs really well. The other day I ran out of gas and had to use gas with ethanol in it, I only put in about 2 gallons. The ghia ran really poorly and I almost didn't make it home. At home I had a 5-gallon can of ethanol-free gas. I added it to the remaining gas and it ran well. Coming home from work the car stated chugging again. I added another 5 gallons of ethanol free gas and it ran well.

Does anyone know if the ethanol-free gas is heavier and had sunk to the bottom of the tank then when it is all gone I am back into the gas with ethanol.

Any other thoughts would be much appreciated.
NOVA Airhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 6:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Ethanol vs. non-ethanol fuel Reply with quote

I believe the ethanol is heavier.

How much ethanol - E85?

It could be the octane as ethanol has less octane.

I would not run anything more than E10 in a vintage VW.
Zack1978
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 7:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Ethanol vs. non-ethanol fuel Reply with quote

Here in NJ we don't have the option of ethanol free gas, all of our gas has ethanol. My 72 coupe runs perfectly fine on gas with ethanol. Your situation sounds strange. I don't think I would be so quick to blame the ethanol. Perhaps you have other fuel system issues such as a clogged fuel filter.
Mellow Yellow 74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 1:02 am    Post subject: Re: Ethanol vs. non-ethanol fuel Reply with quote

NOVA Airhead wrote:
It could be the octane as ethanol has less octane

Actually ethanol has a higher octane so blending ethanol increases octane rating.

Zack1978 wrote:
I don't think I would be so quick to blame the ethanol. Perhaps you have other fuel system issues such as a clogged fuel filter.

I agree, if you ran out of fuel any sediment in your tank may have blocked the filters so it is worth checking.

But this doesn't explain why it runs ok when you top up the tank so you may be right because I think different density fuels can sit at different levels in the tank. I had a stale fuel issue which caused poor running but it was intermittent and went away when I topped up the tank but came back when the level dropped.
NOVA Airhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 4:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Ethanol vs. non-ethanol fuel Reply with quote

Mellow Yellow 74 wrote:
NOVA Airhead wrote:
It could be the octane as ethanol has less octane

Actually ethanol has a higher octane so blending ethanol increases octane rating.

Zack1978 wrote:
I don't think I would be so quick to blame the ethanol. Perhaps you have other fuel system issues such as a clogged fuel filter.

I agree, if you ran out of fuel any sediment in your tank may have blocked the filters so it is worth checking.

But this doesn't explain why it runs ok when you top up the tank so you may be right because I think different density fuels can sit at different levels in the tank. I had a stale fuel issue which caused poor running but it was intermittent and went away when I topped up the tank but came back when the level dropped.

Should have been clearer. Ethanol blended gasoline is not higher in octane. From what I have seen the octane is lower - i.e., 87 versus 89 for regular. Ethanol is heavier and will settle to the bottom of the tank over time - but that is usually 6 weeks or so.
Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 1:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Ethanol vs. non-ethanol fuel Reply with quote

You might have had water in the gas you bought and when the level gets low it starts entering the motor. Try siphoning some out of the bottom of the tank and check it (gas floats on water). If you find water in the tank you need to remove the top of the carb and dump the gas out as water will probably be in there too.
bvanaken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 5:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Ethanol vs. non-ethanol fuel Reply with quote

I think you all are on to something here. I am having problems again and I have a full tank of ethanol free gas. I think I have some sediment that has worked its way through the system. It is in the shop now. Sad

Thanks for all your input.
thruhiker74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 12:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Ethanol vs. non-ethanol fuel Reply with quote

bvanaken wrote:
I think you all are on to something here. I am having problems again and I have a full tank of ethanol free gas. I think I have some sediment that has worked its way through the system. It is in the shop now. Sad

Thanks for all your input.

Good place to start is to pull the needle valve. Blow some air through it, or just replace it (they're inexpensive and always worthwhile having a spare).
KGCoupe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:22 am    Post subject: Re: Ethanol vs. non-ethanol fuel Reply with quote

Perhaps the in-tank filter screen had enough sediment settle on it to block the flow of fuel into the gas line, and when you added additional fuel the swirling action created in the tank washed the debris away.
Over time, that sediment would eventually settle back down to the bottom of the tank and once again block the filter screen.

Also, in theory the ethanol in a blended gasoline will actually absorb a great deal of any water that may be present in the fuel system.
Conversely, though, if the gas tank is vented directly to the atmosphere then the ethanol blended gasoline could actually draw additional moisture into the tank.
... at least that's what the Internets tell me, and it has to be true if it's posted on teh Internets, right? Smile
CiderGuy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 9:04 am    Post subject: Re: Ethanol vs. non-ethanol fuel Reply with quote

Zack1978 wrote:
Here in NJ we don't have the option of ethanol free gas, all of our gas has ethanol. My 72 coupe runs perfectly fine on gas with ethanol. Your situation sounds strange. I don't think I would be so quick to blame the ethanol. Perhaps you have other fuel system issues such as a clogged fuel filter.

There is a large gas station/depot in Vineland, NJ which does or did sell non ethanol gas for off road use. I don't recall the name of the station.

1970 Karmann Ghia Coupe
1973 Karmann Ghia Coupe - Project car for sale
1970 Karmann Ghia Convertible (Body off restoration)

Timing is everything
bvanaken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 9:30 am    Post subject: Re: Ethanol vs. non-ethanol fuel Reply with quote

You guys were right, Sediment/rust from the tank had run through the line and almost totally blocked my fuel pump. I took the top off and one side of it was totally full of rust flakes. I cleaned it all out and put it back together and it ran well. The only problem is that when I put it back together the line/tube that comes out of the pump was loose. I couldn't figure out how to tighten it so that it didn't leak. I have attached a picture of it below. If you have any ideas I would be much appreciated.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 9:39 am    Post subject: Re: Ethanol vs. non-ethanol fuel Reply with quote

I think it is just a press fit but some Loctite would help keep it in. Use some vice grips just snug above the "flange" and tap on the pliers till tight.
sputnick60
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 3:32 am    Post subject: Re: Ethanol vs. non-ethanol fuel Reply with quote

This particular failure is the root cause of numerous catastrophic engine fires. (along with the fuel filter dropping off) The tube pops off and the pump empties out all over the top of a hot engine and up she goes. When the magnesium alloy lights up then nothing will stop it.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Its not worth the risk of squeezing it back on. It would be smarter to replace the pump. lots of options here..
http://www.karmannghia.com/standard/search?type=Inventory+Item&q=fuel+pump

Choose wisely

Nicholas
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 11:24 am    Post subject: Re: Ethanol vs. non-ethanol fuel Reply with quote

Replace, or get a threaded fitting and tap the pump for it. That way you can keep your original pump and be safe at the same time.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
jwold
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 12:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Ethanol vs. non-ethanol fuel Reply with quote

Bvaneken...quick go buy a lottery ticket! If this just fell out and you discovered it before certain calamity, then you are very lucky indeed!
sputnick60
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 2:03 am    Post subject: Re: Ethanol vs. non-ethanol fuel Reply with quote

c21darrel wrote:
....or get a threaded fitting and tap the pump for it.

yes indeed. That's a good suggestion.
Nicholas
bvanaken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2016 9:28 am    Post subject: Re: Ethanol vs. non-ethanol fuel Reply with quote

Thanks for all the advice. I ended up replacing the fuel pump. But I did learn one thing, I now know why the previous owner had a fire extinguisher behind the drivers side seat. Smile
Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2016 3:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Ethanol vs. non-ethanol fuel Reply with quote

that's the 1st thing you buy when you get an old VW
63 vwnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 3:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Ethanol vs. non-ethanol fuel Reply with quote

Starbucket wrote:
that's the 1st thing you buy when you get an old VW

exactly.. I've had one in every dub I've owned... this thread has encouraged me to buy another fire extinguisher as the one I have is rather old...

I need to do a reroute as well...
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: