Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

36hp Rebuild with WW Okrasa Kit in Bus - Many Questions
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Forum Index -> Vintage Speed Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
hoss
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 11:09 am    Post subject: Re: 36hp Rebuild with WW Okrasa Kit in Bus - Many Questions Reply with quote

sgmalt46 wrote:
filter looks too high? is it going to fit?

Ugg yeah I was confident it was going to be a super tight fit but that it would fit, until I got the engine in. Smile

Didn't fit.. was maybe 1/2 inch too tall. Rather then moving it lower, as it would interfere with the CSP linkage, I removed it for now. I'll find another 36hp Fan Shroud later and repowder it.

I'll move it to a remote location in the engine bay later when I can find a source to get the lines made to a custom length.

The Vintage Speed single tip exhaust fits great and underneath the apron.. I wasn't 100% sure it would fit without bending but seems to be ok.

Couple of remaining questions before I fire it up tonight after work. Is there an way to find 7.5 BTDC on this pulley? Is it a certain amount of mm to the right of the OT mark?

Also, the CSP linkage doesn't seem to be rebounding all the way back.. has anybody else had that issue? Does anybody put additional springs on the carb itself to help with that? On my Double Cab I have springs on my Kadrons, plus the built in smaller sprint on the CSP Linkage there.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Mr. OGPaint
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 11:49 am    Post subject: Re: 36hp Rebuild with WW Okrasa Kit in Bus - Many Questions Reply with quote

Is throttle cable connected when the linkage isn't returning? If so, then loosen the tension on the cable just a bit
sgmalt46
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 12:56 pm    Post subject: Re: 36hp Rebuild with WW Okrasa Kit in Bus - Many Questions Reply with quote

7.5 is 1/2 inch to the right of tdc. is it running? you can get more preload on the spring by messing with the rods to the carbs. make them as long as you can' if that does not work you can ad a spring to the front at the pedal. changing the solid cable with a flexy one helps big time. just one of those universal empi ones will work.
66 beetle
71 square back (sold) ! good luck with it Henry!
46 beetle 552nd royal army service corps CCG
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hoss
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 8:14 pm    Post subject: Re: 36hp Rebuild with WW Okrasa Kit in Bus - Many Questions Reply with quote

sgmalt46 wrote:
7.5 is 1/2 inch to the right of tdc. is it running? you can get more preload on the spring by messing with the rods to the carbs. make them as long as you can' if that does not work you can ad a spring to the front at the pedal. changing the solid cable with a flexy one helps big time. just one of those universal empi ones will work.

Got everything running! Woohoo. Static timed it to 7.5 BTDC. I did get the flexible type of cable this morning and swapped it in.. made sure it wasn't binding on anything and it seems to be ok now. I have pedal again.

Now I need to spend a little time getting the carbs synced.. I took it for a quick test drive and 1st gear felt good but 2nd gear felt like it was bogging down a bit.
sled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 5:13 pm    Post subject: Re: 36hp Rebuild with WW Okrasa Kit in Bus - Many Questions Reply with quote

with that distributor you need to time it at full advance and let the idle fall where it may. 28-30 degrees all-in.
hoss
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 1:15 pm    Post subject: Re: 36hp Rebuild with WW Okrasa Kit in Bus - Many Questions Reply with quote

sled wrote:
with that distributor you need to time it at full advance and let the idle fall where it may. 28-30 degrees all-in.

019 right now but I also have an 010 available.

I did play with it a bit last night but there is something wrong with my timing gun.. I'll have to pick another one up or borrow.

It is running better, but it is pretty rich and will continue to tinker.
sgmalt46
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 2:46 pm    Post subject: Re: 36hp Rebuild with WW Okrasa Kit in Bus - Many Questions Reply with quote

did you re-build the fuel pump? you may have too much fuel pressure. the spring in the ww kit is too stiff. and you need to pre load the spring when you bolt it together. does the mixture adjust? check the plugs too see if it is rich. if it is too rich it can wash down the cylinders with gas and the rings may not seat. drag it up here if you need help. Wink
66 beetle
71 square back (sold) ! good luck with it Henry!
46 beetle 552nd royal army service corps CCG
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vintage Speed All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: