Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The Baja Bug - First Timer's Thread
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 20, 21, 22  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
EnjoyNukaCola
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 8:42 pm    Post subject: Re: The Baja Bug - First Timer's Thread Reply with quote

It's off the car now. It wasn't terrible, ask Brian. He rolled through today. HEY BRIAN, YOU FORGOT THE DAMN DOOR PANELS! Brick wall Oh well, back into the shed they go, until the second coming of Jesus. Rolling Eyes

Anywho, we noticed some axial play in the throttle bushings. Sucks since the Ebay ad said it was rebushed. It's probably a vac leak. I wafted some Propane and Propane accessories around there and it messed with the idle. Might ship it out to Volksbitz or trade it for a 34 pict, we'll see. In any case it'll come back with a threaded barb fitting. It's 1/4" hose end to 1/16" NPT pipe threads, NAPA only has a 1/8" NPT so it's something to buy online. Gotta move into my new place for school this week so I'm bummed I have to leave her sitting for a while.

Here, have a picture:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

New double tube bumper, traded for it. Hella 700FF lights and made headlight brackets myself. Hole in the top to get to the gas tank. Not pictured but I waited 2 hours at the DMV to pick up my new "72 BAJA" vanity plates.
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 2:06 am    Post subject: Re: The Baja Bug - First Timer's Thread Reply with quote

Good to meet you man. It's a bummer but once you get that carb sorted out it should be smooth sailing from there out. Also I know it sucks, but I still think you need to clean out the manifold preheat tube some more. Please don't use the aftermarket stuff, been there done that and they suck.
You have one mighty clean baja which is anot her problem, that thing needs to see some dirt Wink I'll let you know if I'll be around for pomona.

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EnjoyNukaCola
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 1:23 pm    Post subject: Re: The Baja Bug - First Timer's Thread Reply with quote

Thanks for stopping by! I found a 9 sec video of her running a couple months ago for comparison, check it out. Ignore all my other stupid crap or don't.

Link

I was at So Cal Bajas meeting last night. Check this out it's the car from Baja Bugs and Buggies front cover!

I'm looking into some carb options, give me a couple reasons why I shouldn't get a dual kad setup from Kaddie Shack and have them dial it in. I don't a damn thing about syncing carbs but the tool on amazon is 30 bucks. Lots of room, no worrying about cracked manifold boots and no preheat tubes needed appeals to me.
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 11:40 am    Post subject: Re: The Baja Bug - First Timer's Thread Reply with quote

I've used dual Kadrons on my Baja. It's pre-run a race at Barstow that way. No problems.

Jeff at Kaddieshack (co-founder of SoCal Bajas before he started Kaddieshack and founder of the SoCalBajas web page and forums) offers an offroad float bowl vent kit based on a setup he saw in my Kadrons. If you're gonna offroad it, I recommend adding his vent kit.
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
Kicked Cancer's A$$...1st and 2nd round...Fight ain't over yet.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EnjoyNukaCola
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 12:32 pm    Post subject: Re: The Baja Bug - First Timer's Thread Reply with quote

Didn't realize they were so $$$. Back to the Solex then. I bought a barbed fitting so I can tap the carb myself. I FINALLY found a thread with the exact same issue I'm having, but of course there is no solution.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=171419
Dark Earth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 2:31 pm    Post subject: Re: The Baja Bug - First Timer's Thread Reply with quote

Can you adjust the accelerator pump to discharge more fuel ?

~I'm almost done. I just lack finishing up.~ Anxious
EnjoyNukaCola
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 2:56 pm    Post subject: Re: The Baja Bug - First Timer's Thread Reply with quote

Since it's a 30 pict-1 I don't think it has that adjustment. It's apart and sitting on my desk right now, bad bushing job. Am I better off sending this one out to get rebushed a 2nd time, getting a H30/31 new or go to a 34 pict-3? With the 34 can I use a vacuum-only advance distributor?
Dark Earth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 3:12 pm    Post subject: Re: The Baja Bug - First Timer's Thread Reply with quote

EnjoyNukaCola wrote:
Since it's a 30 pict-1 I don't think it has that adjustment. It's apart and sitting on my desk right now, bad bushing job. Am I better off sending this one out to get rebushed a 2nd time, getting a H30/31 new or go to a 34 pict-3? With the 34 can I use a vacuum-only advance distributor?

I'd go with the H30/31 myself.

EnjoyNukaCola
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 8:51 pm    Post subject: Re: The Baja Bug - First Timer's Thread Reply with quote

Running pretty good with the new Brosol. Wasn't installed right out of the box per se, but I did my research beforehand. Opened it up, blew it all out, swapped the idle and power jets, went to 55 idle and 130 main from the old Solex. The float bowl plug gasket is trash, but I had a fiber seal on hand. Cranked it down good and it sealed. All in all, about 4 hours down and I have a smooth running engine again.

Started classes at CPP and got a new internship at Eibach as of last Monday. Dancing
oldschool5er
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 9:44 pm    Post subject: Re: The Baja Bug - First Timer's Thread Reply with quote

Two things we do on 30 pict-1 carbs that you can try if you ever put it back on are: first before you seat the acc pump squirt tube aim it to make sure that the fuel squirt hits at exactly the point the butterfly starts to open, it almost hits the side of the venturi but just after the butterfly begins to open slightly. If it is adjusted right and with a good pump diaphram you will have squirt the second the butterfly starts to open. We also use jet reamers to open up the squirt tube oriface a little bit at a time to increase the volume until the hesitation is gone.

Full machine shop with all types of CNC. Rapid prototyping available, CNC Plasma cutting, 3D printing and Laser engraving.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 11:32 pm    Post subject: Re: The Baja Bug - First Timer's Thread Reply with quote

EnjoyNukaCola wrote:
Running pretty good with the new Brosol. Wasn't installed right out of the box per se, but I did my research beforehand. Opened it up, blew it all out, swapped the idle and power jets, went to 55 idle and 130 main from the old Solex. The float bowl plug gasket is trash, but I had a fiber seal on hand. Cranked it down good and it sealed. All in all, about 4 hours down and I have a smooth running engine again.

Started classes at CPP and got a new internship at Eibach as of last Monday. Dancing

Congrats on both CPP and Eibach. An old girlfriend of my son's is a Professor at CPP.
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 11:55 pm    Post subject: Re: The Baja Bug - First Timer's Thread Reply with quote

congrats on the idle.

I really like oldschooler's tricks on where the pumps squirt. makes perfect sense.

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EnjoyNukaCola
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 11:57 pm    Post subject: Re: The Baja Bug - First Timer's Thread Reply with quote

Been a minute, but I'm still around. Busy so the Bug isn't get too much attention right now. Last drive was Thanksgiving weekend to Rowher Flats with my dad.

I am still planning to install the Donaldson air cleaner I bought a while back. Going to turn the rear end up one or two clicks and maybe 2-2.5" lift spindles in the front. I just purchased a used set of Centerline aluminum wheels that I'll be putting on. At some point I'll be looking into building some one-off Eibach reservoir shocks all around, valved like the Bilstein Class 11's.
EnjoyNukaCola
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 9:27 pm    Post subject: Re: The Baja Bug - First Timer's Thread Reply with quote

EnjoyNukaCola
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 8:40 am    Post subject: Re: The Baja Bug - First Timer's Thread Reply with quote

I got the Donaldson filter rigged up just a few days before going on a run with So Cal Bajas in Johnson Valley. I was the 2nd most-stock car there, besides a stock Super Beetle Shocked It's slow going through the woops when most of the guys are running engine swaps and long travel, but I can hang.

EnjoyNukaCola
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 11:08 am    Post subject: Re: The Baja Bug - First Timer's Thread Reply with quote

I went to Gorman last weekend to watch the Baja SAE California comp at Quail Canyon for the second year in a row. Hungry Valley is just over the mountains so I drove the Bug up. It got hot going up the 5 because my oil light started flickering for the first time, so I pulled over and shut it off for 5-10 minutes. Didn't have any problems the rest of the day. From the MX park, I drove north on Pronghorn Trail (a black diamond 4x4 route) and followed Powerline Road into the valley. Gold Hill runs through the park and I drove to the south end until it ends and leads into Alamo Mountain. It's a paved road but I remember going through the Miller Jeep Trail from Frazier Park years back in my friends Toyota, it's tough going up there. We were up there all night until the sun came up because everyone was having problems. The Bug could definitely make it to the camp sites in the future.

Link

Dark Earth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 7:08 pm    Post subject: Re: The Baja Bug - First Timer's Thread Reply with quote

Looks like fun !! Love the way your bug sounds.

dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 9:21 pm    Post subject: Re: The Baja Bug - First Timer's Thread Reply with quote

Sweet!

I haven't been there for years. Not that it's far away, just keep going other places.

Your Baja sounds a lot like mine.
SoCalBajas Member
bikesndbugs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 9:24 pm    Post subject: Re: The Baja Bug - First Timer's Thread Reply with quote

dustymojave wrote:
Sweet!

Your Baja sounds a lot like mine.

very similar to mine also i think its the 1600dp with that loop around to the single muffler. as we all have it
Wrongwrench
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 3:28 pm    Post subject: Re: The Baja Bug - First Timer's Thread Reply with quote

I'm in the market for my first Baja. Actually, my first air cooled motor but not first VW. Most of my wrench time lately is on a Miata. It's time to add to the fun. I've wanted a Baja Bug since High School in the early 80s when only cool guys had them. I know nothing about air cooled motors but I bet I could learn. I live in Ventura County and I'd like to start simple with a Baja that's already completed since I can't fabricate. If the mechanicals need work, I'd love it. There are a couple nearby on Craigslist and an interesting one on theSamba. I've read a lot on theSamba before coming here. I wondered if anyone had time to look at the CL post and theSamba post and comment (sight unseen) on these Baja Bugs. Thanks for considering.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2055685
https://ventura.craigslist.org/cto/6122823946.html
https://ventura.craigslist.org/cto/6092507631.html​
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 20, 21, 22  Next
Jump to:
Page 21 of 22

Jump to: