Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The seats in my 65 Ghia coupe seem like they are too wide.
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Larryboy_3t5
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 2:59 pm    Post subject: The seats in my 65 Ghia coupe seem like they are too wide. Reply with quote

Bought a 65 Ghia, interior was already done. Looks like TMI stuff. The front seats are so wide they touch the inside of the doors and they are pressed so hard against the tunnel it is extremely difficult to adjust them for and aft. Also, the driver's seat seams like it is turned a little to the left instead of facing straight forward. Also, when the spikes on the rail for the seat adjuster are used the seat is so far forward in it's most rear position that my 5'6" wife can't even drive it. Had to bend the spikes down so the seat would go further back. Does anyone have an idea what the problem may be?

The PO says those were the seats the car had when he bought it. They are sitting very close to the pan so I don't think they would be Beetle seats. I've read that those are raised up about 6". COuld they be from a different year Ghia or another model (square back, Thing, etc.)?

Appreciate any help.
jason_hamilton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 3:27 pm    Post subject: Re: The seats in my 65 Ghia coupe seem like they are too wide. Reply with quote

The seats could have wrong padding kits in them, but stock seat covers would be nearly impossible to install if the pads are bigger than stock. Custom stuff?
Additionally, the seat tracks could have been welded in wrong.

Anything's possible in a 50 year old vehicle.

Got pics?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 11:41 am    Post subject: Re: The seats in my 65 Ghia coupe seem like they are too wide. Reply with quote

Quote:

Got pics?

X2
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
KGCoupe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 9:16 am    Post subject: Re: The seats in my 65 Ghia coupe seem like they are too wide. Reply with quote

Larryboy_3t5 wrote:
Bought a 65 Ghia, interior was already done. Looks like TMI stuff. The front seats are so wide they touch the inside of the doors and they are pressed so hard against the tunnel it is extremely difficult to adjust them for and aft. Also, the driver's seat seams like it is turned a little to the left instead of facing straight forward. Also, when the spikes on the rail for the seat adjuster are used the seat is so far forward in it's most rear position that my 5'6" wife can't even drive it. Had to bend the spikes down so the seat would go further back. Does anyone have an idea what the problem may be?

The PO says those were the seats the car had when he bought it. They are sitting very close to the pan so I don't think they would be Beetle seats. I've read that those are raised up about 6". COuld they be from a different year Ghia or another model (square back, Thing, etc.)?

Appreciate any help.

While a previous owner certainly could have done something to cause the seat tracks on the pan to be off kilter in some way, I have always felt that the driver's seat in my Ghia sits at an odd angle and I'm fairly certain that's just the way Volkswagen made them for whatever reason.

I could be wrong, but I'm pretty certain that no other model vintage VW used seat bases with legs as short as those on the Karmann Ghia seats.

I'm sure someone here more knowledgeable on the subject than I will chime in and correct me if I'm worng on either one of those beliefs.

Also, just a guess but perhaps it's a lack of sufficient lubrication on the seat tracks that makes them difficult to move fore or aft rather than the snug way they fit against the tunnel?
Being located on the floor and intially covered in grease, it seems as though seat tracks in just about any car attract dirt, debris and moisture like a magnet and that often ultimately makes moving them fore or aft rather difficult over time.
paul_round
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 11:09 pm    Post subject: Re: The seats in my 65 Ghia coupe seem like they are too wide. Reply with quote

Agreed, I recently took my seats out as the only way I could move them was by sitting in the back and pushing my legs against them. Now, after cleaning and regreasing them, they slide for and aft easily, in fact , I would say a little too easily now!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: