Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The Stupid Question Thread
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 297, 298, 299 ... 513, 514, 515  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 8:31 am    Post subject: Re: Knock in steering box Reply with quote

lolight70 wrote:
Hi all
I have a knock in my 71 bus steering box when i rock the steering wheel from side to side when not driving ,what is making the knock and can it be reduced or gone?
The box is full of oil
Thanx

How sloppy is your steering? Excess slop and noise go together. Crawl under and feel for movement between various links of your steering system while someone else rocks the steering wheel back and forth through the play.
SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 8:55 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Alrighty guys, I'm looking into setting up my dual battery. I have remnants of the factory setup, and am looking at either buying a dual battery wiring kit or just wire one up myself.
I have a question regarding original wiring coming out of through the firewall, on the driver side. Two black wires. 1 black wire is going to the secondary battery relay, as seen here:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The 2nd black wire has no home, but does have a inline fuse in it. Checking with a test light, it is not hot with the key on. Any ideas?

Oct. ’67 Double Cab (’68 Crew Cab)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44412.png]Click to view image[/URL]
March '69 Delivery (Panel Bus)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44414.png]Click to view image[/URL]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 9:22 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

The black wire with the inline fuse goes on terminal #15 on the coil, you'll be amazed at how much easier it is to see behind the bus when backing up at night Wink

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 9:34 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Don't tell me.... Embarassed
Haha well that's cool.
Thanks BD.

Oct. ’67 Double Cab (’68 Crew Cab)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44412.png]Click to view image[/URL]
March '69 Delivery (Panel Bus)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44414.png]Click to view image[/URL]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
alman72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 3:16 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

I searched.....
how are j bugs seat covers? anyone try them?
Bushpig
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 10:07 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Hello! Please go easy on me on my first post.

I'm hoping (finally) to become a fully fledged member of the vw camper owner club tomorrow. Looking at going to view and hopefully pick up a totally original 1971 Devon moonraker.

My question is does anybody know or would be able to measure the exact width from outside of near side tyre to out side of off side tyre on a totally bog standard factory wheel and suspension bus?

I have a 3.5ton plant trailer that measures 170cm wide. I've checked the vw factory measurements and the width given on the kombi is 176cm, but if this is taken at its widest point I think I might just squeeze the bus on the trailer bed. The trailer sides are only 20cm high so anything that is wider above the sills shouldn't be a problem I hope!

Thanks in advance.
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 10:21 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

I just measured, and found 168cm from tire wall to tire wall at 45psi. (Sorry, I don't have a pressure unit converter on my phone...) in also running 195r14 tires, and tire width will be a factor here.

Also, since I can't get the tape measure under the tires, I can't accurately measure the bulge at the bottom. I'm guessing it's about 1-2cm per tire.

Hope that helps!
Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bushpig
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 1:35 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

That's great! Just what I needed. I think it would fit nice and snug - if I do end up buying the van and of course if it fits on the trailer, I'll post a little pic!

Thanks again.
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 1:46 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Good luck, and be careful with old tires if the bus has been sitting.

The rear track on these cars are somewhat adjustable, especially if the hubs and diagonal arms have ever been serviced with a sloppy had. There may be a few centimeters of tolerance here. Have fun! Razz
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sgraham602
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 6:23 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Really stupid question. My wife really likes the look of the "Westfalia" decals that came on the front and back of the '79 Campmobile. We, however, have a '75. I'm a purest myself, so I'm hesitant to add decals that aren't original to the model year. If we put "Westfalia" decals on a '75 does that make us total posers? Will we be shunned at vw events!?
Hikelite
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 8:25 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

sgraham602 wrote:
Really stupid question. My wife really likes the look of the "Westfalia" decals that came on the front and back of the '79 Campmobile. We, however, have a '75. I'm a purest myself, so I'm hesitant to add decals that aren't original to the model year. If we put "Westfalia" decals on a '75 does that make us total posers? Will we be shunned at vw events!?

Is the bus otherwise totally original? If it isn't and you like the look of the decal, do it. It's YOUR bus.

My 1968 Campmobile
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 8:43 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

sgraham602 wrote:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=655494

A happy wife is a happy camper!
Tcash
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 8:58 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

sgraham602 wrote:

Do it if you want! I like seeing them on all Westfalia buses, because it reminds people not to spell it "Westphalia."

Laughing
Robbie
sgraham602
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 6:00 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Is there a proper spot to put the decals on the front and back? I've seen it a few different ways.
beatles4
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 6:38 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

I picked up this rear window hatch a while ago at a vw show and I am just now getting around to inspecting my stuff. Would it be alright to use a wire brush and clean up the window metal lip loosely and apply some por15 on it and then install my rear window with new rubber or will this always have an issue with leaks?

http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate2-27771.png
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sgraham602
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 7:21 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

is it normal to have to 'feather' the gas pedal when starting up a bus that has a single carburetor? after feathering the pedal for a few seconds (10-15) i can then stop and the engine will idle. if i don't feather the pedal the engine will not idle (this during a 'cold start' only).
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 7:40 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

sgraham602 wrote:
is it normal to have to 'feather' the gas pedal when starting up a bus that has a single carburetor? after feathering the pedal for a few seconds (10-15) i can then stop and the engine will idle. if i don't feather the pedal the engine will not idle (this during a 'cold start' only).

It's not abnormal, single Webers don't play well on type 4 engines. You can try adjusting the choke slightly more rich so it helps with the cold running, loosen the 3 screws holding on the heater (plastic disc with a wire in the middle) and rotate it a few degrees opposite to the direction the choke plates close, then retighten the screws. It may take a week of cool mornings to test and add or subtract adjustment daily until you find the happy spot you can live with.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 9:08 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

sgraham602 wrote:

A little info, watch the vids at the bottom, good stuff.
Progressive Center Mount Carb

Good luck
Tcash
The Dubbernaut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 10:01 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Heres a stupid question/poll Very Happy

What do I do with this wonderful patched roof hole!?!?!

Dome window? RV vent? Mini sunroof? Medium sized window? Gatling Gun? Confetti cannon hole? Skys the limit here guys, dont hold back! lol

76 Bus
2 Baja's
66 Pigalle Squareback
80 Rabbit
80 Rabbit Pickup
and still collecting!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 12:40 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

The Dubbernaut wrote:
Heres a stupid question/poll Very Happy

What do I do with this wonderful patched roof hole!?!?!

Dome window? RV vent? Mini sunroof? Medium sized window? Gatling Gun? Confetti cannon hole? Skys the limit here guys, dont hold back! lol

Small Pop Top would be cool.
http://www.spaceroofs.co.uk/type-2-baywindow-elevating-roof.htm
http://poptop-parts.co.uk/

Good luck
Tcash
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 297, 298, 299 ... 513, 514, 515  Next
Jump to:
Page 298 of 515

Jump to: