Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

rear hatch latch closure
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
sgraham602
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 8:06 am    Post subject: rear hatch latch closure Reply with quote

Is there a way to adjust the latch on the rear hatch? Mine does not close completely. You can see in the picture that it says slightly open when closed. It actually bounces when shutting the hatch and cannot be locked. I'm wondering if this might be part of the cause of the exhaust fumes in the bus (coupled with my leaking exhaust system).

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

kreemoweet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 9:01 am    Post subject: Re: rear hatch latch closure Reply with quote

The striker plate at the bottom of the door opening is somewhat adjustable. Beyond that, many door seals are just too fat and
will keep the door from sitting flush no matter what. I suppose the solution to that is to get a better seal, or to remove the
existing one and trim it down a little.

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
Globespotter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 9:02 am    Post subject: Re: rear hatch latch closure Reply with quote

Loosening those hex bolts on the lid latch should allow you to move it so it closes tighter. They may be well seized though. Be careful you don't strip them.
1971 Super Beetle - 1977-1980

1971 SB Survivor Story: https://globespotter.com/
Road Trip Thread: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=511800&highlight=
My 77 Westy Thread: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=647114&highlight=

http://vw-mplate.com/mcode.php?lang=EN&id=30990
https://vw-type2-id.xyz/mplate/72067382
sgraham602
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 9:52 am    Post subject: Re: rear hatch latch closure Reply with quote

yea. they are a bear. I've hit them with PB Blaster but they still wont budge. Do I need to heat them up maybe?
chabanais
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 9:55 am    Post subject: Re: rear hatch latch closure Reply with quote

sgraham602 wrote:
yea. they are a bear. I've hit them with PB Blaster but they still wont budge. Do I need to heat them up maybe?

Mine are completely frozen, too.
Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 12:09 pm    Post subject: Re: rear hatch latch closure Reply with quote

I have had limited success heating old exhaust fasteners to the point where I press a candle on them and as it melts, the paraffin weeps down into where oil penetrant can't because if you heat the fastener enough to do anything, you cook away the oil.

The heat expands the metal, and the hot wax gets down in there. But it does not always work, and in your case, you risk paint and weather stripping damage.

Put an Allen socket on there, tap it somewhat hard a few times with a brass hammer so you don't ding up your socket. This impacting hopefully fractures any binding rust on the threads. Then put the breaker bar on the socket and put all of your upper body weight on the Allen socket so it stays seated. Use your hips or waist line to push the breaker bar.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VDubTech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 12:14 pm    Post subject: Re: rear hatch latch closure Reply with quote

You're also missing the rubber wedge on the latch.
a measurement of your rod would be extremely useful.

notchboy wrote:
my dad wasnt a belittling cock when he tought me how to wrench on cars.

EverettB wrote:
One photo = good for reference.
10 photos = douchebaggery
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: