Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Bedliners
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
robprince
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2007 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Line-X stuff works great, we did the fenders, fender wells, bottom rails, hood, deck lid, engine compartment and pan both sides

Plus you might find that it cheaper to have a shop do it, @ 80-100 bucks a gallon for that stuff you buy in the stores, if you do the whole underneath areas fenders and stuff, you are probably covering the area of a big truck bed, plus most of the guys that have these shops are car guys and like a new project from the norm of spraying truck beds all day,

we sprayed my pan at about 1/4 to 3/8" thick so it is nice too here just the engine cruising in the vert

Rob
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
engineerscott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tim10 wrote:
bare metal.. etch primer.. sealer.. then 3m body shotz.. $15/pint.. can do the pan for about $75 in materials.

As far as I know it's really the only widely available product line that's easy to get pro results with.

T.

Could you tell me more about this 3M Body Shotz. I googled it but didn't turn up much. Where would I buy it?

Thanks,

Scott
bomberbaja
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

has anyone used rustoleum's truck bed liner? any thoughts on it?
zeroman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bomberbaja wrote:
has anyone used rustoleum's truck bed liner? any thoughts on it?

Yes. It is probably the crappiest "bed liner" i've ever seen.

I used it for a trunk liner.. and it'll probably be alright.

It didn't seem very adhesive at first, but It did pretty well with me muscling in a still half full gas tank.

It goes down with a 220 grit sand paper texture. Which would obviously not be too durable.

Its an interesting paint, but I wouldn't put use it as a layer where you'd be actually loading stuff. Nice matte black finish, a little more hiding than regular paint. A can didn't go very far.

I may paint the inside of my fenders with it.
bomberbaja
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thankz, I'll trying to decide weather to use that or herculiner on my pan.
zeroman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've herculiner'd everything I've owned (old anyway and new truck beds) ever since it came out.

I rarely hold onto things for more than a year or so, but I've never had a problem with it.

Its the best easy to find bedliner by far. I hear good things about gator guard. Its not in flaps or walmart. But I see it around.

If you put herculiner on something that isn't shiny, it seems to stick really well. Make sure there's no shiny though.

I forgo their recommendation of scotch bright and go with a 3m paint removing wheel. Scuffs paint and metal well enough it seems. My entire interior from dash to package tray is in herculiner. Its thick and water proof. Was even thinking about putting it in the bottom of my doors since I have some left.
bomberbaja
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cool, sounds like the way to go. thanks!
rrich45
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sand blasted and primed the pan. Bought some undercoating and put undercoating on it. It's been 2 days since i put the undercoating on and it leaves a light tar film on your hands. IS this common with undercoating????
thinking of painting the undercoating to match the car - would I need to reprime the undercoating before I paint the undercoating???

any suggestions, advice, or information would be great.... thanks,
joemo5
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 6:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Bedliners Reply with quote

Stupid question.....

Can I lay my 70 Beetle Vert on it's side like the guy painting earlier in this post? Mind you EVERYTHING is off the body, engine, transmission. If me and some friends very gently do it?
jaymonkey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 6:19 am    Post subject: Re: Bedliners Reply with quote

I bedlined my engine bay and trunk 10 years ago, it still looks brand new. I used por 15 on my front beam 10 years ago, it's started peeling. I'm not convinced por 15 is that great, not for the price anyway.

If you're bedlining remember it's all but permanent. Also, make sure it's not direct to metal, you need a proper primer if it is bare metal.
1975 Buggy underdevelopment
insta @boldroguebuggy
63 vwnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 11:28 am    Post subject: Re: Bedliners Reply with quote

my 69 ghia was sprayed as a dealer option back then..I torched and scraped some off in a small area for inspection..no rust, though it's held up well for 46 1/2 years on the pan (at least the 6" square I removed) the fender plates and other area where elements got between it, not so much... rust under it bigtime..

the problem with liners is that you can't see what underneath, rust bubbles are hard to see until it's to late... while it may provide some sound deadening, it just looks hideous !!!

IMO liners should be left on a truck bed.... Wink
OB Bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 3:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Bedliners Reply with quote

I used Herculiner on the very sad bed of our 67 Single Cab. It has been good, bad and so-so. The details:
I needed something to cover the bed and slow/stop the rust. That bed had over 140 small holes in it from the original slats and apparently some type of sheet metal or plywood that covered the bed. I soldered up the smaller holes and used fiberglass cloth and POR-15 to cover the larger holes. There were many waves in the bed also.
After sealing the holes I used a drill with wire brush and/or one of the fiber grinding wheels to remove the crap, rust and multi layers/puddles of paint. Cleaned the bed metal with lacquer thinner. Treated the entire bed with Corroseal.
Rolled on the Herculiner. First coat went on easily and covered very well. Second coat put per instructions on the can.
Almost two years later most of the bed still is covered (the good). A number of 2x2" pieces have peeled off (the bad). Finally several square feet of the bedliner have "thinned". It now looks like about 30% of the bedliner is simply gone (the so-so).

Would I do it again? Probably. It did what I needed. Is it a long term solution in my situation? No.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: