Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Wideband Results
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 77, 78, 79 ... 119, 120, 121  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
tzepesh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 10:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Wideband Results Reply with quote

Thank you very much for your suggestions John. I get from your replies that you would recommend the 48s and have ~16AFR till 3000rpm.
I will try the new ignition map, but only in about two weeks when I come back from vacation (today it might rain). It is so good to have this programmable ignition and be able to tune that too.
If I can get those 48s to work without pops, I would be happier: lower CHT, better MPG.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sallittjob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 7:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Wideband Results Reply with quote

1968cc
8.5:1 Compressor
Dual DRLA 40s @ Sea Level
52 idles
148 Mains
200 Airs
34mm Vents
3-4 PSI Mechanical Pump
Mallory Unilite Dizzy 4 BTDC @ Idle 30 BTDC @ Max Cent

Hey guys,

I've gotten really close to dialing my new motor in but wanted to ask for some help before ordering more jets.

Right now at LBI I'm sitting around 13.5:1 AFR

Once I get into the skinny around 10% throttle (light cruise) I get a reading right around 16:1 afr. If I accelerate gently I getting a lean spike around 3,000 RPM (19:1 or so) before the mains kick in and then it goes from around 15:1 down to 13:1 once I pin it @ WOT.

I'm assuming I need to up the Air Correctors to a 220 or so to bring the mains in sooner to fix the lean hole then bump the mains to keep the WOT AFR at 13:1?

Also feel like I should be able to knock the idles down to 50s to improve my MPGs on the idle circuit. I did briefly try running the 50s with the main stax out and found it very hard to drive as the car would choke out quickly at the top of progression. If I stayed below say 15% throttle with the 50s I could drive it around with my AFR around 16.5-17 until I got into it a little more (never above 20-30 mph though).

Any help is appreciated... Thanks!

71' Super Beetle
1968cc DP

73' 412 Sedan
1679cc FI

75' Westy
1800cc FI
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 7:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Wideband Results Reply with quote

to me it sounds like you are close with the 52s. Maybe 51s?

For the airs, try 210s next.

I think you'd find an improvement if you'd change your cent curve to be 8 at idle and 30 total, in other words 4 degrees LESS in the curve. 4 at idle will be lethargic for sure.

Please do NOT send me Private Messages through the Samba PM System (I will not see them). Send me an e-mail to john at aircooled dot net

"Like" our Facebook page at
http://www.facebook.com/vwpartsaircoolednet
and get a 5% off code for use on one order for VW Parts ON OUR PARTS STORE WEBSITE, vwparts.aircooled.net
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sallittjob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 4:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Wideband Results Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
to me it sounds like you are close with the 52s. Maybe 51s?

For the airs, try 210s next.

I think you'd find an improvement if you'd change your cent curve to be 8 at idle and 30 total, in other words 4 degrees LESS in the curve. 4 at idle will be lethargic for sure.

Sounds good John; thanks for the recommendations!

With respect to the idle timing...I had to back it down to 4deg to bring the idle speed down to around 950 rpm. I guess I will bump up to 8deg as suggested and back off the idle stop screws to knock the speed down. All of my bypass screws are closed so I don't think there is any other way to get the idle speed down.

71' Super Beetle
1968cc DP

73' 412 Sedan
1679cc FI

75' Westy
1800cc FI
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 9:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Wideband Results Reply with quote

but your timing of 4/30 shows too much cent advance.

Proper idle timing will almost always be in the 7-8 range. If it's idling too fast, back the idle speed screws off, then re-set LBI.

Please do NOT send me Private Messages through the Samba PM System (I will not see them). Send me an e-mail to john at aircooled dot net

and get a 5% off code for use on one order for VW Parts ON OUR PARTS STORE WEBSITE, vwparts.aircooled.net
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
deanbradford
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 5:24 am    Post subject: Re: Wideband Results Reply with quote

Hi guys need some advise please.

1600c
stock heads, mild port
stock crankshaft
Engle W100
1:25 ratio rockers
dual Weber40 IDF's
Bosch 009 set to 31 degrees
Fuel pressure 3.2

Idles 18 to 20
WOT starts at 11.8 then quickly rises to 13.3
Part throttle 16

Pulls very well but have a very slight stubble when I floor the accelerator but didn't do it when I had 50/120/170.

Jets are
Idles 50 (tried 47's but engine popped and was really not happy)
F11's
Mains 115 (had 120 in but ran rich)
Airs 180

Cheers
Dean
sallittjob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 7:04 am    Post subject: Re: Wideband Results Reply with quote

Adjusted timing per John's recommendations to 7 idle 29 max and reset LBI. Idle circuit is much better! Lean hole in the top of progression is almost gone at this point. Only problem I still notice is when I down shift (let's say from 3rd to 2nd) the engine goes lean when I get into the throttle and it sputters for a few seconds until everything stabilizes. Is this something that I can remedy or is it just normal?

Thanks again.

71' Super Beetle
1968cc DP

73' 412 Sedan
1679cc FI

75' Westy
1800cc FI
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 4:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Wideband Results Reply with quote

Are you sure it is going lean on downshift? it could be rich too, but, the wideband is probably right if your eyeballs are fast enough to read it. what size acc pump squrters?
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 5:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Wideband Results Reply with quote

it's completely normal for a lean spike to occur during a gear shift change, but recovery should be quick (like .25-.5sec).

modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 6:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Wideband Results Reply with quote

When you downshift quick, you get all the enrichment from evacuating the main wells. I found on smaller engines it could be too much, it's partly why, (talking IDF terms) why a LITTLE engine uses f-16 and a BIG one uses f-7, because of the acceleration enrichment, but the DRLA only have basically one kind of e-tube........and it's quite a puzzler of a tube too. Bigger air jets and or smallish venturis will make the acc enrichment faster and sooner. What kind of accelerator pump adjustment you can get away with is interrelated to this too.
the problem is probably simpler than all this, sorry for straying too deep, but it is food for thought!
sallittjob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 4:32 am    Post subject: Re: Wideband Results Reply with quote

Not sure what size the pump jets are anymore; I do remember they were the stock starting point for those carbs. I'll confirm on the weekend.

I haven't spent anytime adjusting the accelerator pumps to be honest. I backed them off a lot so they wouldn't get in the way while tuning and they are still at that setting.

So the idea here is to counter the lean spike at downshift I want to provide more accelerator pump squirt? It does go away to some extent if I quickly open the throttle after the downshift (pumps add the shot of fuel) and is worst when I gently and gradually get into it after the shift.

71' Super Beetle
1968cc DP

73' 412 Sedan
1679cc FI

75' Westy
1800cc FI
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 4:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Wideband Results Reply with quote

sallittjob wrote:
I backed them off a lot so they wouldn't get in the way while tuning and they are still at that setting.

Good job.
The best of setups you can use as small as 40 acc pump squirters and only 3mm travel at the arm, and the really lazy ones probably need 50 and 5mm travel
deanbradford
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 4:27 am    Post subject: Re: Wideband Results Reply with quote

deanbradford wrote:

Could my problem be the accelerator pumps ?

Hi guys need some advise please.

1600c
stock heads, mild port
stock crankshaft
Engle W100
1:25 ratio rockers
dual Weber40 IDF's
Fuel pressure 3.2

Idles 18 to 20
Part throttle 16

Pulls very well but have a very slight stubble when I floor the accelerator but didn't do it when I had 50/120/170.

Jets are
Idles 50 (tried 47's but engine popped and was really not happy)
F11's
Mains 115 (had 120 in but ran rich)
Airs 180

Cheers
Dean
sallittjob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 12:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Wideband Results Reply with quote

deanbradford wrote:
deanbradford wrote:

Fuel pressure 3.2

Idles 18 to 20
Part throttle 16

You're running a 009 which has no vacuum advance and trying to do a lean tune. I'm surprised it will even run at 16:1 cruise with that setup (not saying it's impossible but unlikely). Idle @ 18:1 also sounds pretty unbelievable based on my experiences. I'd expect it to idle right around 14:1 or so. Jetting with that dizzy should be baseline 13:1 at all load conditions. Does it idle nice when you're getting that 18:1 reading or is it sputtering and popping? Might want to calibrate your O2 sensor and check your exhaust system for leaks as you may be getting incorrect readings from the wideband which would explain why it seems to run decent with such a lean mixture (considering the lack of vacuum advance).

71' Super Beetle
1968cc DP

73' 412 Sedan
1679cc FI

75' Westy
1800cc FI
tzepesh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 11:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Wideband Results Reply with quote

I am adding a small update to my configuration: 1584cc engine, W100 cam, 4-in-1 exhaust, Megajolt ignition based on MAP, Dellorto DRLA36, 30 vents, 48 idles, 180 airs, 9164.2 emulsion tubes, 122 mains.

I used the 48 idle jets that used to pop through carbs and increased the ignition advance between 2 and 8 degrees below 80KPa. the pops disappeared, and I also have some logs. But I feel the vacuum read by Megajolt could lead to improvement: I see that right after acceleration, while cruising, the MAP is around 93-96KPa, not 80 as I expected. And it stays around that value on cruise. The ignition advance seems a bit low, around 23-25 degrees because of the high KPa values.
In the logs, the purple trace is AFR and is 10 time the real value (147 means 14.7 AFR; I had to trick the Megajolt to show the AFR correctly).

Can you please suggest improvements in the ignition map?

Here is the ignition advance I started with:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

This is the increased ignition advance:

And here are two logs:

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tzepesh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 1:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Wideband Results Reply with quote

I'm bringing up the topic, maybe i can get some suggestions. Shall i increase the advance more, and if yes where and how much? Cruise seems too low at 23-25 at 92 kpa. I would have expected higher vacuum an more than 30 degrees.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 2:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Wideband Results Reply with quote

Having just tuned a MS converted Waterboxer, this advice will likely help you. I'm hardly a MS expert, but I try to pay attention to cause/effect, and this comes from what I've directly experienced.

Note that your map you jump up 7 degrees of timing from 1200 to 1500 RPM (300 RPM), but only 1-3 degrees from 1500-2200 RPMs, yet only 3 degrees from 1000 to 1200 RPMs.

Think of the RPM range in a %, rather than absolute. 1000 to 1200 is a 20% increase. 1500 to 2200 is a 50% increase (roughly).

In your map, your advance is too fast at 1200-1500, and too slow at 1500-2200. My opinion.

On my engine, if I increased the ignition timing too quickly, I got a stutter on the logs which I could only SOMETIMES feel.

I think your engine would run a lot better if you'd simply back off the 1500 RPM timing ~2-3 degrees. That will also increase it's rate of advance in the 1500-2200 range. Both regions will drive better in my experience.

It will also help to look at the MAP in 3D view, you'll see where it's advancing too quickly, or too slowly, and you can edit it. Save smoothing for later on.

Lastly, how fast the ignition advances will depend a lot on the A/F mapping. On my engine I have basically 3 types of cells. Stoic for around idle, 13.2:1 for WOT, and 16.2:1 for everywhere else. With a stoic row for transition between the 13.2 and 16.2.

At the 13.2 areas (WOT), you will effectively be at high load, and don't need any vac timing addition. Once I went to 16.2 I could add in heaps of vac timing, since the lean tune burns very slowly.

YMMV

tzepesh wrote:

This is the increased ignition advance:

TinCanFab
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 2:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Wideband Results Reply with quote

roachdub58 wrote:
Ok, I've read this thread 8 times and I need some opinions.

60 single cab, stock height with RGB trans 4.12 R&P/.82 4th gear
2017 engine w dual 40 IDF's (Italian "new style" acc pumps) no "update kits" added
5600 rev limit
110 cam (advanced 4 degrees) 1.1 rockers
32mm venturies
10mm float level
8.9:1 CR
CB CNC 044 heads, small ovalish/round ports 42x37
.042" deck height
MSD 6AL and centrifugal distributor
1 1/2" standard header and single quiet pack w/high flow boxes
My elevation is 100ft above sea level
German doghouse cooling with t-stat/flaps and Venturi ring
10w30 oil
Firewall behind fan shroud has several 1" holes to feed all the new airflow, incoming fresh air comes from the treasure chest

This engine was reworked into this combo based off of what I had on hand from it being in my bug with turbo to be a torque bus engine. I really like the power and the way it drives. I feel I'm as fast as I should be in a stock bus.

My current jetting is 52/150/220 f11 tubes
My timing is 7 deg idle to 28 at full advance

I drove with stacks removed and settled on 52 idles. Very happy with the drivability and nice 13.1ish AFR at very light cruise 1/8 throttle or so. Any more throttle and the engine falls on it's face. The fastest I could drive was 35-40 mph in 3rd gear. 3300 RPM and it's done. Forget 4th gear all together, it won't go for s**t. Tried 55's and it was pig rich in every RPM and gear. 50's were lean everywhere and power was very flat.

Next, I put in huge mains (measured at 190 w my gauges) and started with 180 airs. It drove well, no pops or big stumbling but very flat without a lot of power. On my gauge I saw the lean hole before it swung rich. Then I increased it to 200, then 220. At this point, the hole seamed to disappear and only leave a slight lean condition when throttle is rolled on to WOT. It looks like the normal lean spot you would expect the acc pumps to help with (mine are backed off)

So, I think I'm ready for my mains. I swap my huge ones to 130 trying to fill that lean hole. It's lean everywhere, so I go to 140. Things are improving but when I roll throttle to WOT, it's in the 14's. 150 mains now. After full warmup, the bus drives GREAT with just a little flat spot in transition (lean AFR's). GREAT off idle and when the pedal is mashed in 3rd or 4th gear I get AFRs between 12.8-13.3ish. It pulls hard to 70mph no problem.

Now, I have idle circuit and WOT at low 13's BUT at 1/2 throttle in 4th gear when I want to cruise at 55, I am in the DEATH ZONE no matter what. The only time I have seen anything other than stoich in this driving load was with huge mains......I know my mains should be close based on WOT AFR. I feel I'm close ao I don't want to keep upping the mains. For kicks, I plugged both top holes in the emulsion tubes, no noticeable change! I pulled the wires out of the f11 and removed air jets completely, still leaving 150 mains just to see a change. It was crap to drive, as expected, BUT I am cruising 4th gear at 55 and AFR is STILL at 14.5-7. Nothing I do will even get it to dip into the 13's at all! I can cruise 45 mph in 4th gear and I'm in the low 13's. Any more load and it goes lean, unless I put the pedal down I get low 13's again.

Should I increase my mains more? Seems like they are getting big at this point?

I have some other things I noticed since putting the engine together that may be a problem:

1-my IDF's were bought on the classifieds but it looks like someone put carb tops from 44's on top! I never new that 40's have the cast looking snorkels in the top. I currently have 2" velocity stacks. Is this a problem?

2- my header has the "big" 3 bolt flange which I read is a no-no, but I don't know why and if this is my problem

3-my 32mm vents are from CB, and Modok has mentioned a few times they are not machined correctly. Should I change them?

At this point I'm stuck and don't know what to do next. It drives great other than the death zone. Bus tuning is a bitch! I am getting all the results I am reading that I should see. The very few times in 3rd and 4th that I am cruising with almost no throttle, I am for sure getting low 13's. But, yes it very quickly kicks to the main circuit and my foot is in it, and even more with the winds.

Different vents? Emulsion tubes?

Here was where I last left off while tuning. Since then, I have installed a new A1 Sidewinder header to determine what's wrong with my transition. I have to give John a HUGE thanks for suggesting a different header. I ordered it through Aircooled.net and service was excellent. I did have to wait 5 months due to back order, but I have to say HALF of my problems are gone! I still have issues, I'll get to that...

And made a new muffler and pipe using small flange, instead of the old large flange on the EMPI header. CB high flow flange heater boxes. Muffler is a Moroso Spiral Flow that I modified to 2" inlet/outlet (was 2.5"). It looks like a glass pack, but is not. There's a straight throught perforated pipe surrounded by a boat impeller looking thing.

They're never really ever finished 58 rag build...
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=658092

Last edited by TinCanFab on Fri Oct 28, 2016 2:38 pm; edited 2 times in total
TinCanFab
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 2:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Wideband Results Reply with quote

So, what I would like to know is, what do I do next?

I haven't fiddled with anything, just swapped exhaust so I can see the immediate change.

What HAS changed:

- smoother driving experience in every gear and RPM
- the accelerator pumps are still backed off, but when I stab the throttle it goes like stink with no hesitation. Almost like I had engaged the acc pumps
- I can hold a speed much better
- when I come to my lean hole (that my AFR gauge reads) I can just hold the gas steady and powers right through it. Previously I had to feather the pedal to keep engine from stumbling and popping

What has NOT changed:

- idle AFR (mid 13's)
- WOT AFR (high 12's to low 13's)
- constant dead zone AFR of 14.5-15 cruising in 4th on the highways

I am thinking now is the time to try F2 emulsions and rejet all over? Suggestions?

They're never really ever finished 58 rag build...
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=658092
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 3:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Wideband Results Reply with quote

I'd go back to try the 50 idles next.

Just repeat the tuning process, you have a new engine to tune now with the exhaust change. Don't skip steps. Now that you know what/how to do it, it will go faster.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 77, 78, 79 ... 119, 120, 121  Next
Jump to:
Page 78 of 121

Jump to: