Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Best Steering Rack Options
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
size51
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 11:48 am    Post subject: Best Steering Rack Options Reply with quote

Good morning:

I'm looking for the best rack and pinion for my VW baja project. 1970 VW convertible.

6 over beam, 2.5" longer arms, 33" tall tire, disk brakes, I will eventually install electric assist, but at a later date.

I have been looking at the SaCo racks, Do I need the Magnum? or will the regular one work?

Any info is greatly appreciated
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

size51
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 10:01 am    Post subject: Re: Best Steering Rack Options Reply with quote

OK...

So i went with the SaCo rack, not the magnum. we will see how it goes.
Outatime
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 1:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Best Steering Rack Options Reply with quote

Nice start on a cool looking Baja. I'm curious how the rack works for you, as I'm shopping as well.
jsturtlebuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 1:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Best Steering Rack Options Reply with quote

The SACO Magnum rack a longer pinion gear and a wider rack part then the standard one.
Since you are using what looks like the same size width tires in front and rear that is extra strain on steering components then you would have using a narrower front tire.
Which rack you use and will last will depend on how hard you use the vehicle.
On the racing buggies I was prepping they had the standard rack. With the Charlyn power steering setup that was being used. Replacement of the pinion gear was common.
What kind of power steering setup do you plan on using?
Motion Tire Motorsports
Having fun with Dune Buggies since 1970
Into Volkswagens since 1960
size51
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 4:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Best Steering Rack Options Reply with quote

I was thinking the electric OEM setup from a Saturn. I was told you can get these parts for under 200 bucks. This car will see trips to Rocky Point, Car Shows and the occasional dunes trip.

I have the AFI 2.4L Ecotec kit, 091 trans from Mr. Gas in Co Springs. coil overs all around.

The convertible top still fits!

Thanks,
jsturtlebuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 8:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Best Steering Rack Options Reply with quote

If you are not out banging against rocks or deeply rutted trails the normal SACO should be fine.
From what I seen and heard the Saturn power steering unit works great and with the controller that can be bought the adjust the feel it is a great thing to have.
I would have went that way if it was available at the time I put mine together. I have a Howe setup that uses a ram attached to the rack below the tie rods ends.
Motion Tire Motorsports
Having fun with Dune Buggies since 1970
Into Volkswagens since 1960
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 8:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Best Steering Rack Options Reply with quote

What are plans for the rest of the cage? Without it, the chassis will flex making the doors a problem. OK if you keep it to the lawn show offroading. But occasional jaunts out on the dunes or trails and it could get ugly. A sedan has less trouble because the roof provides a fair amount of chassis strength.
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
Kicked Cancer's A$$...1st and 2nd round...Fight ain't over yet.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
size51
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 11:10 am    Post subject: Re: Best Steering Rack Options Reply with quote

I will be adding a bar that goes from the main hoop to the floor going towards the front. A partial door bar i guess.. This should be sufficient support. All tube is .095 x 1.5" DOM.

Main frame rails are 2x3 Tube, 14 Gauge with gussets on all the angle connections. I drilled the floor bolt pattern into the frame and welded in machined bungs. This way the body will still bolt to the frame using the OEM mounting points. It was a lot of extra work, but will allow me to remove the body from the frame for paint.

It will spend some time on the "Lawn Show" but it will be functional as well. I have to keep telling myself its not a race car.... Race cars are expensive!

1fastbigguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 7:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Best Steering Rack Options Reply with quote

I would put the Electric Power Steering in now as opposed to later. It's a lot easier to build it in now instead of reworking the steering later.
From experience I can tell you a 33x10.50 is a lot of front tire. We are running EPS on our car and I put it on a toggle switch so I could be turned off. I NEVER turn it off! We have 5k miles on a Latest Rage rack and it still feels like new.

Project looks great!

59 Ragtop
61 Ragtop Baja
69 Squareback

@Dustydrone
#Ohibaja

Our Build
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=545394
size51
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 8:00 am    Post subject: Re: Best Steering Rack Options Reply with quote

1fastbigguy:

I took your advise and went ahead with the power steering. I contacted Ken at http://epowersteering.com/ and he was able to advise me on what the best options are in regards to the GM OEM EPS rack out of the Saturn VUE or ION. Also the Chevy Equinox.

This rack is out of a 2003 VUE. I paid $100 for the EPS and the shaft from the EPS to the rack.

Ken is putting together a quote for all the parts I need to complete the steering and I will update when I get it.
1fastbigguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 7:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Best Steering Rack Options Reply with quote

I'm looking forward to hear how you like the Saturn steering. We used a unit from Super ATV ($600) and it has worked very well.

Just my opinion... but I think you made the right call!

59 Ragtop
61 Ragtop Baja
69 Squareback

@Dustydrone
#Ohibaja

Our Build
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=545394
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: