Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Assembly required - '63 Vert Bug - Buildup.
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
cjargo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 11:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Assembly required - '63 Vert Bug - Buildup. Reply with quote

Trunk, gauges, and seat mounts.

I bought a few yards of this durable rubber trunk material that should make it easier to remove and install the trunk liner without creasing it like the factory one.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I finally found a simple gauge mount that is easy to see and has good balance.

In an effort to not drill through a perfect floor pan, I fabbed up the original seat bases and grafted the recaros onto them. They came out ok.

'67 Bus / Sundial - '59 Karmann Ghia
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
grandpa pete
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 3:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Assembly required - '63 Vert Bug - Buildup. Reply with quote

looks like i"ll have to sighn up MY wife for upolstery school... Very Happy

Looking good !!

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=569619&highlight=sedan+delivery
cjargo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 11:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Assembly required - '63 Vert Bug - Buildup. Reply with quote

FINISH TRUNK & WIRING / INSTALL SPEAKERS & KICK PANELS

With the final installation of the stereo, all the wiring is completely done and the new trunk mat was set in place. The sides of the factory trunk mat were trimmed off and then the rubber mat was glued on top. I followed GP's example by laying a towel down to protect the paint, and then layed the mat in. Thanks again Grandpa Pete!

SPEAKERS & KICK PANELS

The "Retro sound" kick panels make for a easy install and good fit. Since I prefer a clean look the "Pioneer" logo will be removed or blacked out.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cjargo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 11:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Assembly required - '63 Vert Bug - Buildup. Reply with quote

grandpa pete wrote:
looks like i"ll have to sighn up MY wife for upolstery school... Very Happy

Looking good !!

I'll pass the good word on. She's done a few of my builds, and she nails it everytime. I asked her about your car and what color goes good with purple and she said "vomit". Okaaaay just poking at ya. BTW: I'm digging the crazy cool panel build. Outstanding skill sets! Cheers!
vwnut1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 12:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Assembly required - '63 Vert Bug - Buildup. Reply with quote

Looks like you are getting close to a "shakedown" cruise in the neighborhood. Lookin' sharp!
The Volkswagen Ranch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 9:07 am    Post subject: Re: Assembly required - '63 Vert Bug - Buildup. Reply with quote

Chris , any more pics of the tachometer and bracket mounting? Thinking of adding to my 64 Black vert. Are you happy with it? Thanks, Bob
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 10:15 am    Post subject: Re: Assembly required - '63 Vert Bug - Buildup. Reply with quote

I just wanted to check in to say I'm still speechless and at the edge of my seat! Strato is one lucky car to be your project.
I love your attention to detail and no-effort-spared approach sir!

Sincerely, Bradford

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
cjargo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 12:15 am    Post subject: Re: Assembly required - '63 Vert Bug - Buildup. Reply with quote

vwnut1 wrote:
Looks like you are getting close to a "shakedown" cruise in the neighborhood. Lookin' sharp!

BINGO! You called it! Now go play the lottery.

Today I had a few things to tie off, passenger door latch, install windshield, install wheels, fill 2 1/2 gallons of gas, dial in gas gauge to 1/4 tank, then flip the ignition. Lift off. It drove well, there are a few things to sort, but overall not to shabby. The electric fuel pump was a buz kill. After 20 minutes it started to get temperamental so an upgrade will be tasked. The second issue was the starter didn't have enough grunt to turn over the 10 to 1 compression after the engine was warmed up. I'll need to trouble shoot it before anything else. Last the rear brakes started to drag the more it was driven. I experienced the same issue on another '63, and once the rubber brake lines were replaced, the problem was solved.

I'll be traveling for a few weeks, so everything will be on hold till I get back on the 23rd. SIGH! It's actually not a bad note to bounce out of town on. Anyhow here's what was tasked today...

cjargo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 12:31 am    Post subject: Re: Assembly required - '63 Vert Bug - Buildup. Reply with quote

ashley1 wrote:
Chris , any more pics of the tachometer and bracket mounting? Thinking of adding to my 64 Black vert. Are you happy with it? Thanks, Bob

The company that makes the bracket (AAC) makes good parts and are based out of the UK. It's a exact knockoff of a 50' motometer (I'm sure you know this) that's done to decent standards. Now the gauge is a VDO 52 mm that I'm 80% happy with. The 20% issue I'm having is how the gauge is held in by a large threaded plastic collar the screws on the back of the gauge. It comes with the VDO gauge. It looks ok, but I wish it had a simple chrome cup instead. It would have a cleaner look. Last, wiring it up is like any other tach you have done. With the wiring, I stayed with the VW color codes, then shrink wrapped everything, and used a factory rubber grommet where I drilled through the body to give it a factory look.
cjargo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 12:40 am    Post subject: Re: Assembly required - '63 Vert Bug - Buildup. Reply with quote

hitest wrote:
I just wanted to check in to say I'm still speechless and at the edge of my seat! Strato is one lucky car to be your project.
I love your attention to detail and no-effort-spared approach sir!

Sincerely, Bradford

Bradford... thank you for the gracious words and following the thread. I feel equally as fortunate as Strato. Having a solid foundation to start with is a huge blessing and also the fact no one hacked him up during it's lifetime. Cheers!
vwnut1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 6:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Assembly required - '63 Vert Bug - Buildup. Reply with quote

Beautiful job, love your attention to detail. I can relate to fiddling with the door gaps and fit and finish so it's perfect. I think your as anal as I am! I like you and we have never met:)

I can still remember the feeling of starting my '64 Bug project for the 1st time after working on it for 1.5 years (towed it home, non-runner). That's a feeling I will never forget and I was smiling from ear to ear.
cjargo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 11:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Assembly required - '63 Vert Bug - Buildup. Reply with quote

vwnut1 wrote:
Beautiful job, love your attention to detail. I can relate to fiddling with the door gaps and fit and finish so it's perfect. I think your as anal as I am! I like you and we have never met:)

I can still remember the feeling of starting my '64 Bug project for the 1st time after working on it for 1.5 years (towed it home, non-runner). That's a feeling I will never forget and I was smiling from ear to ear.

Thanks vwnut1. Ditto on the admiration. Do you find that OCD tendencies is a curse, a blessing, or both?

Have you taken your bug to the PO? I did with my last car and the guy bought it back as a gift for his wife. Now I know how Foose kinda feels on reveal day.
cjargo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 12:19 am    Post subject: Re: Assembly required - '63 Vert Bug - Buildup. Reply with quote

Installed rear discs and dropped the rear one notch.

The PO installed new rear drum brakes which rubbed on the initial test drive (very annoying), so after some research AC industries had impressive casting materials (G3000) which is beyond passenger car standards (G1800 & G2500). The G3000 rating is the same casting rating as the brakes on a 5 ton truck. Also the rotational strength of the calliper bracket is even stronger giving the brake pedal a solid feeling. The only drawback is it's heavy. The kit I purchase has a zero off-set and a ebrake. Installation was easy peay, except for the out of pocket hard lines that have to be fab'd. In hind site, stainless steal flex hoses would be the ticket.

The stink bug stance wasn't the look I was going for so the spring plates were lowered one notch (outer). It degreed out at 17 at the start then 13 in the end. Next weekends tasks: e-brake adjusted, rear brakes bled, then see how it sits. If it needs to go lower, adjustable spring plates could be the next step.

Leveled car out:

The Volkswagen Ranch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 6:17 am    Post subject: Re: Assembly required - '63 Vert Bug - Buildup. Reply with quote

Chris, how did you get the brass fitting to fit flush on the tack bracket ? Did you have to trim down ? I have the same bracket with a 52mm tach which fits the bracket opening just fine but the brass female fitting for the steering wheel collar sticks out (above) about 1/4 inch . My vert is a 64. Thanks, Bob
cjargo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 6:29 am    Post subject: Re: Assembly required - '63 Vert Bug - Buildup. Reply with quote

ashley1 wrote:
Chris, how did you get the brass fitting to fit flush on the tack bracket ? Did you have to trim down ? I have the same bracket with a 52mm tach which fits the bracket opening just fine but the brass female fitting for the steering wheel collar sticks out (above) about 1/4 inch . My vert is a 64. Thanks, Bob

I don't recall it being a issue off the top of my head, but I'll snap some pictures this AM and get back to you.
cjargo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 8:16 am    Post subject: Re: Assembly required - '63 Vert Bug - Buildup. Reply with quote

ashley1 wrote:

AAC steering column 52mm gauge mount. No fab work was necessary. Thought: Is the steering column diameter different from your 64 and 63?

The Volkswagen Ranch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 8:36 am    Post subject: Re: Assembly required - '63 Vert Bug - Buildup. Reply with quote

Thanks for the pics. I must have started to cross-thread the screw... Only went in a few turns, and didn't make sense ...and was too hot here in AZ ( 107 in garage that day) ... So stopped for the day ! Now in hospital with pancreatitis , so will be next week before I give it another shot. Thanks again. Bob
The Volkswagen Ranch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 2:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Assembly required - '63 Vert Bug - Buildup. Reply with quote

Chris, have not seen anything new on your build for quite some time... Hope all is going OK. I solved the problem with the tach fitting by putting a thinner rubber shim under the mounting ring. Works great. Thanks for all of the pics...had to wait for it to cool down from the summer heat here in AZ. 😰
cjargo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 11:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Assembly required - '63 Vert Bug - Buildup. Reply with quote

ashley1 wrote:
Chris, have not seen anything new on your build for quite some time... Hope all is going OK. I solved the problem with the tach fitting by putting a thinner rubber shim under the mounting ring. Works great. Thanks for all of the pics...had to wait for it to cool down from the summer heat here in AZ. 😰

Thanks for rousing me. With work, I've been feeling like the most popular girl at the school dance. It seems like I've been blessed beyond my value. I'm sure they'll figure me out soon enough. Shhh All good though...... In the past month there have been two wrench days, and prior to that work had me across the pond for 2 1/2 weeks. PROGRESS? Yep, the recaro seats are in and mounted on the OG seat frames. Also installed the rear seats. All the original bolts we're zink plated, so no rust issues to worry about. Currently The drivability is getting sorted. There was a defective right rear calliper that was replaced and now a oil blow by issue which involves rerouting a few breather lines. This weekend I hope there will be another post updating that issue. BTW: Strato drives pretty good. It's zippy, tight, goes straight, fun, and handles good. That's all for now. Oh yeah, glad to hear it'll be cooling off, and say hello to K. Cheers

cjargo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 10:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Assembly required - '63 Vert Bug - Buildup. Reply with quote

Just scratching the surface of top frame assembly.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
Jump to:
Page 8 of 11

Jump to: